Interesting take on Cuonzo/Cal from Cal site

Braking news for you: This has nothing to do with Zo at this point - I know he is gone and have no problem with the new coach - actually kind of like him so far. However morons who pushed the Pearl petition are not gone and it's still too much fun messing with them and watching them trying to somehow rationalize that insanity to move on just yet.

Well...let us know when your foot gets sore and your ready to go.

Well...let us know when your foot gets sore and your ready to go.

:thumbsup: It will be obvious because I will start posting less. Also, don't worry - it wont take too much longer for that to happen. At some point you will only see occasional smart ass comment here and there from me - more frequent if we end up doing much worse than we did under CCM - especially if he ends up kicking ass at Cal - in that case I will probably not be able to resist saying 'I told you so' - but who can blame me if that happens? :salute:

:thumbsup: It will be obvious because I will start posting less. Also, don't worry - it wont take too much longer for that to happen. At some point you will only see occasional smart ass comment here and there from me - more frequent if we end up doing much worse than we did under CCM - especially if he ends up kicking ass at Cal - in that case I will probably not be able to resist saying 'I told you so' - but who can blame me if that happens? :salute:

:thumbsup:

Martin decided that, with 10 seconds to go in a Sweet 16 game, our best chance to score was to throw the ball to our center--12-15 feet from the basket--when every other coach in America would have thrown it to one of our two slashers. He had to go.

Let's not give the ball to the first round NBA pick, now, that'd be all catty wumpus . . . :mf_surrender:

Reactions: 1 person
Let's not give the ball to the first round NBA pick, now, that'd be all catty wumpus . . . :mf_surrender:

Yes, let's give it to him in a place that he's unfamiliar with. Face up to the basket 17 feet away. That's probably worked out for Stokes 4% of the time.

I'm trying to understand your logic. If we had to go the length of the floor, would you advocate passing it in to Jarnell and letting him dribble the entire way because he's a "first round NBA pick"?

I don't know. I subscribe to a theory that you put guys in position where they can be successful. And being that Stokes was most successful catching the ball on the block, maybe try to get him the ball there with his back to the hoop. Yes, it may have taken a certain amount of strategy, the likes of which we haven't seen on an inbounds play from Zo. But all you do is run Richardson to the corner from the opposite baseline. Stokes screens for him and then pins his man on the block. At that point JRich can dump it in to him or take a dribble and pull up for a 15 footer that I think he missed once in the last month.

But nah, you're right. Let's just get it to our first round NBA pick, location on the court be damned. That's solid, fundamental basketball. :rock:

Nope. They played insanely great defense for those last games. They played great defense the rest of the time. Ken Pomeroy puts them at 19th in the country and 2nd in the SEC at defensive efficiency (which is points allowed per 100 possessions, so as to take out pace -- Ken also adjusts for SoS); and sports-reference (which doesn't adjust for SoS) has them second in the SEC as well. And, incidentally, both of them have UT second in the SEC and top 20 in the country in OFFENSIVE efficiency as well (.02 points behind Kentucky for Pomeroy).

When you say "great defense", are you referring to the 52% that Michigan shot against us? Are you referring to our team being 300+ in steals? Are you referring to Mizzou shooting 56% against us?

We played okay defense for most of the season. We played great defense at the end of the season. Granted, it was teams like SC, Aub, Vandy and the like. But it was still great defense. The rest of the year it was decent and inconsistent. Some very good, some very bad. Our wins were directly proportional to how we played at the offensive end of the court, not defensive end.

Stokes was hands down the best player on the team in the tourney. Give it to your best player with the game on the line.

Again, yes, give it to your best player. But give it to him in a position where he's used to getting it all year and has been successful. Don't give it to him facing up to the hoop.

Saying "give him the ball" is a generic statement. Sure, give him the ball. But where? You want us to flip it out to him at mid court? Is that a good place to give him the ball? Where should we give him the ball?

Again, yes, give it to your best player. But give it to him in a position where he's used to getting it all year and has been successful. Don't give it to him facing up to the hoop.

Saying "give him the ball" is a generic statement. Sure, give him the ball. But where? You want us to flip it out to him at mid court? Is that a good place to give him the ball? Where should we give him the ball?

Stokes had definitely shown he can be effective in just about any position within 15 or so feet. Was it ideal? Obviously not. Did we plan on giving it to him at that exact spot? Most likely not. Michigan did all they could to get him out of position, and they ultimately succeeded even though Stokes got it at a point where he could have potentially gotten a good look.

Now if we gave it to him at midcourt, that would be a different discussion, wouldn't it?

When you say "great defense", are you referring to the 52% that Michigan shot against us? Are you referring to our team being 300+ in steals? Are you referring to Mizzou shooting 56% against us?

We played okay defense for most of the season. We played great defense at the end of the season. Granted, it was teams like SC, Aub, Vandy and the like. But it was still great defense. The rest of the year it was decent and inconsistent. Some very good, some very bad. Our wins were directly proportional to how we played at the offensive end of the court, not defensive end.

I'm referring, as the stats show, to the team's ability to keep the opponents from scoring, as measured by the number of points given up per possession. Second in the SEC to Florida for the entire season. Better than Kentucky. That's what I'm referring to.

Holding a team under 40% shooting is great, unless they rain down 25 3s on you or get 30 points at the free throw line. The goal of defense is to keep the other team from scoring possession by possession. Tennessee was 2nd in the conference at that and top 20 in the country. That's great defense.

The best defensive team will meet a team that just seems to hit everything. You've picked two games where teams hit over 50% to build a whole case on? One of them was the only team to hit 50% against Arizona...Michigan. Only 4 times all year did teams hit over 50% on UT, the same number of teams that hit over 50% on Wichita State (North Carolina Central, Southern Illinois, Evansville, and Kentucky...exciting list, eh?). Or Virginia, known for their stout defense. Allowed 38.8% on the year, but 51% against Green Bay and 50% against the Vols.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back