Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

I guess you never heard of CM Newton or Adolph Rupp or Roy Skinner or Johnny Neumann.
I have. It was not as deep then. Hell, Florida still had football players staying in shape during the offseason on its roster as late as the 70s. SEC basketball has grown and improved tremendously since then.

Mears put UT basketball on the map. He deserves credit for that. But his greatest accomplishment was going toe to toe with Kentucky. Barnes has done that and more.

I have. It was not as deep then. Hell, Florida still had football players staying in shape during the offseason on its roster as late as the 70s. SEC basketball has grown and improved tremendously since then.

Mears put UT basketball on the map. He deserves credit for that. But his greatest accomplishment was going toe to toe with Kentucky. Barnes has done that and more.

Now you’re equating Calipari with Adolph Rupp?

Florida wasn’t garbage. Norm Sloan. Neal Walk. Alligator Alley. TN also had football players on the basketball team. Bill Young. Ron Widby. I think Bill Justus played some football for UT.

Mears is the only UT coach with 3 SEC championships. UT had never been to the NCAAT until Mears did it (when only one team per conference was invited).

I see no reason to disparage Mears’ tenure except to troll. He retired at age 50 with 399 wins. He won almost 75% of his games. In the last 100 years only Johnny Mauer had a higher winning percentage than Mears.

Now you’re equating Calipari with Adolph Rupp?

Florida wasn’t garbage. Norm Sloan. Neal Walk. Alligator Alley. TN also had football players on the basketball team. Bill Young. Ron Widby. I think Bill Justus played some football for UT.

Mears is the only UT coach with 3 SEC championships. UT had never been to the NCAAT until Mears did it (when only one team per conference was invited).

I see no reason to disparage Mears’ tenure except to troll. He retired at age 50 with 399 wins. He won almost 75% of his games. In the last 100 years only Johnny Mauer had a higher winning percentage than Mears.
I’m not disparaging Mears. Nor am I comparing Cal and Rupp. I’m saying Barnes is the best coach in UT history.

Fair or not, basketball is a postseason sport. Barnes has done the most overall, regular season and postseason. If he got disparaged when he didn’t have postseason success, he gets credit when he does.

I’m not disparaging Mears. Nor am I comparing Cal and Rupp. I’m saying Barnes is the best coach in UT history.

Fair or not, basketball is a postseason sport. Barnes has done the most overall, regular season and postseason. If he got disparaged when he didn’t have postseason success, he gets credit when he does.

You said Mears’ “greatest accomplishment” was “going toe to toe with Kentucky” and then qualified that by saying Barnes has done all of that and more. You also insinuated that CRM’s accomplishments aren’t all that because the SEC wasn’t a good conference.

Those comments are disparaging and belittling to what Mears accomplished.

BTW, Mears also had a national championship.

Kevin O'Neill also had a pretty good 4 years as our head coach.

Gotcha. I will not listen at all During the summertime. Then, it’s kind of pick your poison. I will turn a show on and then I want angrily turn it off within about 10 minutes. And then I will be back there a couple of days later. Wash, rinse, repeat. I like the informative stuff and the funny stuff, but I have a low tolerance for the juvenile stuff(Tyler and Will’s specialty)
This is 100% me as well. Was asked recently why I even listen if the local sports talk shows if they just annoy me and the only explanation I have is when you're starving for a product even the most generic can be somewhat satisfying. And that's exactly what our local shows are for the MOST part. Tyler and Will make Clover Valley look like Nabisco.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
For all the Barnes haters that say fire Old man Rick, you should take a look at the Kentucky situation.

It's easy to fire a winning coach, hard to find someone on their level

Kentucky might be in some trouble here
Yeah, between this Kentucky search and the Lady Vols having to settle for a 35 year old coach who was in D2 ball 13 months ago, a lot of folks here are going to have to revise their expectations WAY downward when the time comes to replace Rick. Established coaches just don’t leave places that gave them their first big break.

Reactions: Vols till I fall
Yeah, between this Kentucky search and the Lady Vols having to settle for a 35 year old coach who was in D2 ball 13 months ago, a lot of folks here are going to have to revise their expectations WAY downward when the time comes to replace Rick. Established coaches just don’t leave places that gave them their first big break.

Absolutely

Why would a coach leave for a cozy situation for a crazed fan base in today's day in age with social media?

Heck, I have seen multiple people say hire Kim English and he isn't as nearly proven as coach Barnes. I'm sure he's a great guy but come on

Absolutely

Why would a coach leave for a cozy situation for a crazed fan base in today's day in age with social media?

Heck, I have seen multiple people say hire Kim English and he isn't as nearly proven as coach Barnes. I'm sure he's a great guy but come on
English will be at Mizzou next year after Gates gets run off.

The Anti-Barnes crew literally has nothing to argue now other than the 0 Final Four argument... very few coaches regularly make Final Fours.

I don’t think so. Tennessee is paying Top 5 money which is absurd when you think about. While I don’t think anything is a given, I’m eager to see what Danny White does after Barnes retires with a budget that can pay a coach top 5 money.

With that said, I fully expect Kim English to succeed Barnes as long as he has Providence rolling.

I don’t think so. Tennessee is paying Top 5 money which is absurd when you think about. While I don’t think anything is a given, I’m eager to see what Danny White does after Barnes retires with a budget that can pay a coach top 5 money.

With that said, I fully expect Kim English to succeed Barnes as long as he has Providence rolling.
Kentucky is paying top 1 money and they’re getting shot down left and right.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Love coach Barnes and he can coach as long as he wants here, but he's a sweet 16 coach. Looking pretty good and giving us hope only to look like crap on offense and underachieve when it matters. New team, same old song.
You will miss him when he is gone and that is all that matters. I know you are not on the bandwagon of fire RB, but be careful what you ask for because it may bite us all in the A$$. Maybe it will not.

Reactions: Vols till I fall
Congratulations on getting my thread deleted, but it seems I'm not the only irrational person thinking Barnes may be about to retire.

See above, unless it is medical I don't see it happening this year. Potentially losing 6 players is not the condition I see Barnes leaving this program in on the outbound. What's more, isn't he recruiting now so why would he do that if he was leaving?

See above, unless it is medical I don't see it happening this year. Potentially losing 6 players is not the condition I see Barnes leaving this program in on the outbound. What's more, isn't he recruiting now so why would he do that if he was leaving?
I hope Barnes stays for as long as his health allows it. I just feel like something is going on there.

Reactions: spyfish007
call me crazy, but what if Barnes just goes all out in the portal for his last year and gets a final four before his retirement. Wishful thinkings but crazier things have happened. Should be a lot of NIL money freed up with our graduates / portal entries

I read the whole thing and I just got an opinion from it. Nothing factual, evident, etc

Wow, this is journalism these days???

He's paying top 5 money right now, but that doesn't mean he will when he replaces him. Look at what he just did with the Lady Vols coach. Paying her half what the old one was being paid. She's 8th in the SEC in pay and that's for a program that has FAR more historical success than the men's program. There was the expectation that Danny White was going to go get a proven commodity (he didn't). I expect he will do the same with Rick's replacement.

Maybe it will turn out well. Remember what Mears did for a living before he got here.

He's paying top 5 money right now, but that doesn't mean he will when he replaces him. Look at what he just did with the Lady Vols coach. Paying her half what the old one was being paid. She's 8th in the SEC in pay and that's for a program that has FAR more historical success than the men's program. There was the expectation that Danny White was going to go get a proven commodity (he didn't). I expect he will do the same with Rick's replacement.
Doesn’t matter. DW’s hires are gold. We’ll be fine. Give me a Lance Leipold over a Jimbo Fisher any day.

VN Store

Back