Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Maybe it will turn out well. Remember what Mears did for a living before he got here.
I’m not against Caldwell and think she could do well here. But let’s be real. Danny White didn’t blow Kellie Harper out of town intending to hire someone who was at Glenville State just over a year ago. He had to go there because the big names on the board all said no.

I’m not against Caldwell and think she could do well here. But let’s be real. Danny White didn’t blow Kellie Harper out of town intending to hire someone who was at Glenville State just over a year ago. He had to go there because the big names on the board all said no.
Who said no?

Reactions: Pappy
Kentucky is paying top 1 money and they’re getting shot down left and right.
Because they ran off Cal. Tennessee having an opening because of Barnes’ retirement is drastically different situation.

Even Stevie wonder can see that.

He's paying top 5 money right now, but that doesn't mean he will when he replaces him. Look at what he just did with the Lady Vols coach. Paying her half what the old one was being paid. She's 8th in the SEC in pay and that's for a program that has FAR more historical success than the men's program. There was the expectation that Danny White was going to go get a proven commodity (he didn't). I expect he will do the same with Rick's replacement.
Because she’s an up and comer and hiring “in the family” was not gonna happen with Lawson after Harper flamed out.

Because they ran off Cal. Tennessee having an opening because of Barnes’ retirement is drastically different situation.

Even Stevie wonder can see that.
It’s never been the UT way to spend big upfront on a coach anyway. We hire cheap and if they win here, THEN we give them the big money.

It’s never been the UT way to spend big upfront on a coach anyway. We hire cheap and if they win here, THEN we give them the big money.

It was never the way until we did it..... And we reaped the benefits of it.

Very ignorant to say think this is the same admin and AD of the Cheek and Hamilton days.

Reactions: Sudden Impact

Very ignorant to say think this is the same admin and AD of the Cheek and Hamilton days.
It hasn’t changed under White. Every hire he has made here has been on the cheap.

(He may be a lot better at making cheap hires that pan out than his predecessors, but it doesn’t change the fact that he has not spent big bucks to land someone for any job here.)

Reactions: Pennheel
It hasn’t changed under White. Every hire he has made here has been on the cheap.

(He may be a lot better at making cheap hires that pan out than his predecessors, but it doesn’t change the fact that he has not spent big bucks to land someone for any job here.)

lol. We have not gone after cheap hires from the onset of searches…. We have ended up with cheaper hires because the big money ones said no.

The big difference with Hoops is that Barnes would be retiring and causing the opening, not like the others that had openings because of firings

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

You're using "cheap" pretty loosely. It's not like we were going to get someone as HC in football that would command a huge salary.

I’m eager to see what Danny White does after Barnes retires with a budget that can pay a coach top 5 money.

I’m sure it has been said already, but I feel like you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I don’t think tossing around money is a silver bullet like it used to be. Everyone has money. Kentucky has reportedly offered Dan Hurley and Scott Drew $10-$12 million and they both said no.

Money doesn’t solve problems like it used to in college athletics. I feel like whenever Rick does retired, we are almost guaranteed to take a swing at a rising star over an established coach.

You will miss him when he is gone and that is all that matters. I know you are not on the bandwagon of fire RB, but be careful what you ask for because it may bite us all in the A$$. Maybe it will not.
Luckily I have asked for him to coach for as long as he wants

I’m sure it has been said already, but I feel like you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I don’t think tossing around money is a silver bullet like it used to be. Everyone has money. Kentucky has reportedly offered Dan Hurley and Scott Drew $10-$12 million and they both said no.

Money doesn’t solve problems like it used to in college athletics. I feel like whenever Rick does retired, we are almost guaranteed to take a swing at a rising star over an established coach.

Why would I be setting my self up for disappointment? When Tennessee has an opening, it’s gonna be because of a retirement. When Kentucky got their opening, it was because of a ludacris fan base running off their coach. Yes Kentucky has to offer a king’s ransom for someone to take that job that seems like an equal or upgrade hire. Tennessee does not because the cause of the opening isn’t gonna be because of a crazy ass fan base.

People equating the openings are clowns and not that smart.

People equating the openings are clowns and not that smart.

Well, feels a bit extreme to just jump to the “you’re a clown” statement but whatever.

I think you are overblowing the fan impact on the attractiveness of the job. There are crazy fans in every fanbase. I bet if you asked Scott Drew and Dan Hurley why they said no, “crazy fan base” wouldn’t even be in the Top 5 reasons.

I don’t think so. Tennessee is paying Top 5 money which is absurd when you think about. While I don’t think anything is a given, I’m eager to see what Danny White does after Barnes retires with a budget that can pay a coach top 5 money.

With that said, I fully expect Kim English to succeed Barnes as long as he has Providence rolling.
First, he isn’t top 5 anymore. Second, that was to retain our current coach who had already succeeded and sold out TBA. Barnes’ raise paid for itself because the probability was that he was going to keep winning. It’s a market, and economics come into play. I don’t automatically expect the next coach to make as much as Barnes.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
First, he isn’t top 5 anymore. Second, that was to retain our current coach who had already succeeded and sold out TBA. Barnes’ raise paid for itself because the probability was that he was going to keep winning. It’s a matter, and economics come into play. I don’t automatically expect the next coach to make as much as Barnes.

Depends on who we get. As you said, it’s based on your resume. We can pay top dollar, but we aren’t going to do it for a rising star. They will get their market value.

Reactions: VolGee4

Who did it? Barnes and Heupel were not hired with big money. Hart made a great hire, and White seems to know how to hire good coaches. We’ve paid them well after they’ve won.

Who did it? Barnes and Heupel were not hired with big money. Hart made a great hire, and White seems to know how to hire good coaches. We’ve paid them well after they’ve won.

We literally made Barnes a top 5 highest paid coach to keep him hear. Spending that much is the new normal for our basketball program. We will not just revert to the cheap route just because Barnes retires. We will be able to go to other top coaches and atleast make Top 5 offers to them. And the sweetest part of it is that our opening is because of a retirement, not because a toxic fanbase and admin caused the opening. Those are two very different environments.

We literally made Barnes a top 5 highest paid coach to keep him hear. Spending that much is the new normal for our basketball program. We will not just revert to the cheap route just because Barnes retires. We will be able to go to other top coaches and atleast make Top 5 offers to them. And the sweetest part of it is that our opening is because of a retirement, not because a toxic fanbase and admin caused the opening. Those are two very different environments.
We’ve never done that, so you are suggesting something that hasn’t been done.

You responded to someone saying UT has never paid a big salary upfront, and that is correct. Barnes was hired at roughly 2.5 million per year until he flirted with UCLA after year 4.

Danny White just hired a LV coach cheaper than the one he fired. He may or not with a new men’s basketball hire, but that it’s the pattern at UT.

And how many coaches has he hired?

VN Store

Back