Is this Pruitts biggest career game?

If you narrow it down to, as the HFC at UT?

Its important from a perspective standpoint.

With a win, you can't deny a good positive step forward from the ditch in which the trumpet blower left us (game difference in the win total) Makes for an easier sell to finish this class with some good pieces. Extra practice time for a roster than returns a lot of players. Fans for the most part will be "satisfied" for year 1.

With a loss, You have a couple good wins but only marginally better than last year in total wins. You're having to lean a little more on vision than tangible success (by comparison to where you were). You lose the extra practice. Fans are little more skeptical about the results of year 1 and little less enthusiastic about year 2.

I don't want to put too much emphasis on 1 game. AU and KY didn't mean we re back and UF and Mizzou didn't mean Fulmer got it wrong, but from a perception standpoint, Pruitt can gain a little with a win. Even if its Vandy.
this.

outside looking in, winning this game doesn't move the needle. i think no matter how this season ends, most will probably tell you TN took a step in the right direction this fall, considering how last year ended, how this season started, to winding up beating a couple ranked SEC teams in the end. that will be enough for most to call "progress".

for us, as fans, beating vandy has a definite percepiton tied to it. meaning, we should beat vandy. every year.

losing won't change anything for the future, but neither will winning it. we need as much help personnel wise today, as we will need it come next Tuesday.

the only place this game matters, is in TN fans phsyche. i think the opportunity for a winning record, and to do something Butch didn't in year one, matters to some folks, right or wrong. so if for no other reason that that, just go win the stupid game.

get your 15 more practices and give me a reason to watch a meaningless bowl game and cheer on TN for 1 more game.

this.

outside looking in, winning this game doesn't move the needle. i think no matter how this season ends, most will probably tell you TN took a step in the right direction this fall, considering how last year ended, how this season started, to winding up beating a couple ranked SEC teams in the end. that will be enough for most to call "progress".

for us, as fans, beating vandy has a definite percepiton tied to it. meaning, we should beat vandy. every year.

losing won't change anything for the future, but neither will winning it. we need as much help personnel wise today, as we will need it come next Tuesday.

the only place this game matters, is in TN fans phsyche. i think the opportunity for a winning record, and to do something Butch didn't in year one, matters to some folks, right or wrong. so if for no other reason that that, just go win the stupid game.

get your 15 more practices and give me a reason to watch a meaningless bowl game and cheer on TN for 1 more game.

Yep. The game itself is not a big win in that you beat a really good team or a ranked team on the road. Being able to recover after a bad loss and winning a game that historically you should is where the importance lies.
Kentucky was a very nice rebound after letting one get away at SC. Then you go back the other direction against Mizzou. Hopefully we regroup and find a way to win this weekend. Im going and have only witnessed 1 L to Vandy in my lifetime. Don't wanna do that again.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Yep. The game itself is not a big win in that you beat a really good team or a ranked team on the road. Being able to recover after a bad loss and winning a game that historically you should is where the importance lies.
Kentucky was a very nice rebound after letting one get away at SC. Then you go back the other direction against Mizzou. Hopefully we regroup and find a way to win this weekend. Im going and have only witnessed 1 L to Vandy in my lifetime. Don't wanna do that again.
yeah, i think if you're looking at it from a "maturation of the program" angle, then sure, this is a big game.

it just doesn't mean much outside of the two participating fanbases, which is fine.

i mean, winning is always more fun than losing.................................but i don't see the need or requirement that this game be a "judgement game" on pruitt, the program or the future of either.

At first glance, I would say it’s still early to say that and would say no. But with that said, the importance of this game cannot be understated. This game alone will make his job easier or harder than he originally thought. Opportunity is in TN’s hands and a good showing can erase what started the TN downfall two years ago and can swing the arrow back up. Essentially this is a mulligan game from what should have been a springboard two years ago. Had TN won that game, they are Sugar Bowl bound and recruiting really takes off for Butch. If TN wins this game, recruiting can really take off for Pruitt.

On to the game, on paper, Tn should win. People have pointed to the talent being the difference in games this year as the biggest culprit, it’s the opposite, Tn far outweighs Vanderbilt on the field. This game will be about coaching as the Vols have the talent advantage at every position. On paper, this is a 42-21 game but games aren’t played on paper. Tn is 15th in total talent, Vandy is 45th. They have double the 2 stars than they do 4 stars.

Pride, UT football players don’t want to be the guys who lost to Vandy 3 years straight, first time since 1926.

This game is big, very big for recruiting as guys want to go to postseason play, they love the Swag Bag but coaches want those extra practices to build for next year, they need them. Pruitt said himself that postseason play is expected at Tn. I agree and it’s not like days of old where you needed to be 7-4 or better to get a bowl. Everyone goes to a bowl now. Pitch is easy in recruiting with a win, telling the recruits that if we can go bowling this year, imagine the bowls you will play in if you come, this is our floor, good times ahead. It starts Saturday. Tn has to go to a bowl to keep the arrow pointing up.

They will, Tn 28 Vandy 17.

Pruitt's biggest game as a head coach will be Florida in 2020 at Neyland Stadium. His first recruits will be 3rd year players by then, and we might finally be competitive with any team on our schedule (including the Bammers). Next year likely won't provide many opportunities for a team still catching up in experienced talent. I would say next year's big games will be Mississippi Mistake, USCe Mother Hens, Misery Tigers, UAB, Kensucky Mildcats, and Candy. 8-4 next year would be a really good year. 9-3 and he is setting the team up to make a run for the division in 2020. That record will be a tall order with the youth that will dominate the lines of scrimmage in 2019.

I read just yesterday in another thread, that if Pruitt loses to Vandy Saturday, he is definitely not the right guy.

If that's true, obviously if he wins he is the right guy. So yea, I'd say its pretty big.

I read just yesterday in another thread, that if Pruitt loses to Vandy Saturday, he is definitely not the right guy.

If that's true, obviously if he wins he is the right guy. So yea, I'd say its pretty big.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Behr
Is this Pruitts biggest career game?

Not even a little bit! This is his last game of his first regular season as Head Coach. With a team that will finish either (5-7) or (6-6) right on track to finish the way the vast majority of pundits, prognosticators and preseason magazines said they would.

That will come in another year or two when Tennessee has relatively the same talent as other top line SEC programs and they walk into a game with an actual shot to take the next step.

Yea man, I'm grateful for information like that, it takes all the uncertainty out of it. There will be no question after this game.
agreed. not even sure now if i need to watch. just catch the box score, then decide how invested i'm gonna be going forward.

Not even a little bit! This is his last game of his first regular season as Head Coach. With a team that will finish either (5-7) or (6-6) right on track to finish the way the vast majority of pundits, prognosticators and preseason magazines said they would.

That will come in another year or two when Tennessee has relatively the same talent as other top line SEC programs and they walk into a game with an actual shot to take the next step.
I took the question as to date.

Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Thats it.

Im not going now.

I took the question as to date.

Maybe I misunderstood the question.
No your right that it would be this season but I don't think with what he has had to work with you can judge him on a must win game being (5-6) (as expected) he's not going to be fired or even put on the hot seat if we lose Saturday. Nor should he be.

Even though I think a small minority on this board would like for him to be fired. (those folks are idiots)

Pruitt built himself some equity with wins over Auburn and UK. If we win and make a bowl, it will have been a solid season where he slightly overachieved. A play or two against usc goes are way and he is in talks as seccoty. It didnt, so he would have fallen just short of an outstanding first year to a solid first year.

If he loses, its his first season and is on par with most reasonable expectations with a couple of very bright moments that help build hope for the future.

So it really isnt a big game in terms of implications on his career if he continues to have success in the next few seasons. Its only big if he cares what he wants his first season to be remembered as and building equity with the fanbase.
It's bigger for the seniors. To be remembered as the class that began a turnaround and didnt go out losing to vandy.

Reactions: jakez4ut and Behr
Pruitt built himself some equity with wins over Auburn and UK. If we win and make a bowl, it will have been a solid season where he slightly overachieved. A play or two against usc goes are way and he is in talks as seccoty. It didnt, so he would have fallen just short of an outstanding first year to a solid first year.

If he loses, its his first season and is on par with most reasonable expectations with a couple of very bright moments that help build hope for the future.

So it really isnt a big game in terms of implications on his career if he continues to have success in the next few seasons. Its only big if he cares what he wants his first season to be remembered as and building equity with the fanbase.
It's bigger for the seniors. To be remembered as the class that began a turnaround and didnt go out losing to vandy.

I agree.

Most thought/think 6-6 would be a good first year, some said it would be impossible. Even though I predicted and hoped for 6-6, I was prepared and knew 5-7 was possible, maybe even 4-8. I thought 3-9 was impossible before season. After Florida I wouldn't have been surprised.

Anyway, Just speaking for myself, I hoped for better, not just in the win/loss column, but everywhere. If we lose to Vandy it won't be that kind of year leaving me with the thought of "Pruitt is special".... But that doesn't mean hes not or won't be, and it still had some encouraging moments to help carry me through the off season, and be excited for next year

The fact is, even if he had shown more, it wouldn't have meant he was special. I would have felt better obviously, but in reality, we won't know for certain either way.

Jmo.

In my opinion there is no mistaking the importance of this game. To many positive "intangibles" with a "W" (as have already been said). I figured we'd lose to MZ. I thought we'd win at Vandy to springboard us to a bowl game and all the "positives" afterwards. On a scale of 1-10, UT was at a 1 at the beginning of the season after coming off the worst losing season (SEC wise) ever. With the wins over two top-25 SEC schools, UT is now at a "3" in my estimation. With a win over Vandy, we move to a "4" and with a win in a bowl game UT rises to a "5". (a loss would mean 4.5 for the season).

So the difference to me (for the next two games assuming) is about 20%. A loss to Vandy and we stay at a "3" (some might argue lower) vs. a Vandy win and bowl win UT is at a "5" and picking up speed with recruiting and next year's expectations.

A "5" gets UT set up for a rise to "7" or even "8" next year. A "3" gets UT to a "5" or "6" next year.

Yes, this is an important game.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I will say that I believe that this is JG's biggest game. Win, get us to a bowl and he goes into next year with a solidified starting job. Lose and he goes back in the pool with everyone else.

I seriously doubt this season unfolded the way Pruitt expected when he looked at the schedule. I hardly think he thought Auburn would be a win, but I do think he thought he had a real chance of winning the South Carolina game. Either way the season shook out, I think he KNEW the Vandy game was going to be Critical and of some great significance. Hopefully, the game was circled and some extra scouting and film study has been done by coaching staff. It’s what you get paid the big bucks for.GBO

I hope it is not his biggest career game. It is year one trying to turn around a historically bad team. If this is his biggest career game, we are in for a long, very sad time in UT football. I hope there is a much more important game still to come in the not too distant future.

No it is not his Biggest Career game. It is a game against Vandy for crying out loud. If he gets us to a NC game that will be his Biggest Career game.

No your right that it would be this season but I don't think with what he has had to work with you can judge him on a must win game being (5-6) (as expected) he's not going to be fired or even put on the hot seat if we lose Saturday. Nor should he be.

Even though I think a small minority on this board would like for him to be fired. (those folks are idiots)
Oh I agree.

Wasnt stating any different.

I do see some important short term positives outside just winning the game. It wont determine his success here but could make a few things go better toward the spring.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
I agree.

Most thought/think 6-6 would be a good first year, some said it would be impossible. Even though I predicted and hoped for 6-6, I was prepared and knew 5-7 was possible, maybe even 4-8. I thought 3-9 was impossible before season. After Florida I wouldn't have been surprised.

Anyway, Just speaking for myself, I hoped for better, not just in the win/loss column, but everywhere. If we lose to Vandy it won't be that kind of year leaving me with the thought of "Pruitt is special".... But that doesn't mean hes not or won't be, and it still had some encouraging moments to help carry me through the off season, and be excited for next year

The fact is, even if he had shown more, it wouldn't have meant he was special. I would have felt better obviously, but in reality, we won't know for certain either way.

Jmo.
Yep

VN Store

Back