Is this Pruitts biggest career game?

It's important to me. I said when Pruitt was hired I would rate him on how this game was played. He has 3 times the budget, makes twice as much as the Vandy coach, has higher rated players and assistants plus 11 games under his belt. I am confident that he will succeed but if not.....

It's a must win game every season for any UT coach. No excuses accepted.
I like your answer, however I have one modification under the current circumstances. Losing to Vandy this year is one thing, but losing to Vandy any year for forward is another. Not that I would like losing to Vandy again this year. Our OL is just a big problem that is hard to ignore.

I will say that I believe that this is JG's biggest game. Win, get us to a bowl and he goes into next year with a solidified starting job. Lose and he goes back in the pool with everyone else.
Interesting take. I will have to mull that over a bit

Where is this “paper” that insists we are twice as good as Vandy? I would like to see it , cause for the last couple of years tha play on the field by “players” (not coaches) tells me different

I think you're on to something here. Vandy does not have a single OL under 300lbs, we have several on ours. This is not the Vandy of old where they know they're going to take a L. These guys expect to beat us and have seen nothing on the field in recent years nor anything on film this year that scares them or makes them believe they won't win. This will be a tough game IF we come to play. Vandy there is no doubt in my mind will play as if they're hair is on fire. Will we equal and best that intensity? We win if we do, we lose if we don't, that simple IMO.

I think you're on to something here. Vandy does not have a single OL under 300lbs, we have several on ours. This is not the Vandy of old where they know they're going to take a L. These guys expect to beat us and have seen nothing on the field in recent years nor anything on film this year that scares them or makes them believe they won't win. This will be a tough game IF we come to play. Vandy there is no doubt in my mind will play as if they're hair is on fire. Will we equal and best that intensity? We win if we do, we lose if we don't, that simple IMO.
I agree. 100%

I remember the 2011 Kensucky game also with a bowl berth on the line. The Vols gave no effort that day probably because of Derek Doofus. I remember allegedly Tyler Bray said something to the effect of "why win and go to a shatty bowl game"? The team quit on Dools. Will they quit on Pruitt?

At first glance, I would say it’s still early to say that and would say no. But with that said, the importance of this game cannot be understated. This game alone will make his job easier or harder than he originally thought. Opportunity is in TN’s hands and a good showing can erase what started the TN downfall two years ago and can swing the arrow back up. Essentially this is a mulligan game from what should have been a springboard two years ago. Had TN won that game, they are Sugar Bowl bound and recruiting really takes off for Butch. If TN wins this game, recruiting can really take off for Pruitt.

On to the game, on paper, Tn should win. People have pointed to the talent being the difference in games this year as the biggest culprit, it’s the opposite, Tn far outweighs Vanderbilt on the field. This game will be about coaching as the Vols have the talent advantage at every position. On paper, this is a 42-21 game but games aren’t played on paper. Tn is 15th in total talent, Vandy is 45th. They have double the 2 stars than they do 4 stars.

Pride, UT football players don’t want to be the guys who lost to Vandy 3 years straight, first time since 1926.

This game is big, very big for recruiting as guys want to go to postseason play, they love the Swag Bag but coaches want those extra practices to build for next year, they need them. Pruitt said himself that postseason play is expected at Tn. I agree and it’s not like days of old where you needed to be 7-4 or better to get a bowl. Everyone goes to a bowl now. Pitch is easy in recruiting with a win, telling the recruits that if we can go bowling this year, imagine the bowls you will play in if you come, this is our floor, good times ahead. It starts Saturday. Tn has to go to a bowl to keep the arrow pointing up.

They will, Tn 28 Vandy 17.
A win and a bowl game in year one would be huge IMO. It don't feel it's his biggest game of his career but it would go a long way in showing we are in an upward swing and the culture is in fact changing. He can only recruit on early playing time and what not for so long, I think having the upward tragectory to pitch would be better long term. Not to mention the extra practices and what not. A bowl win in that case would be even bigger

That being said, improvement has shown almost every week this season and that's something we haven't been able to say in a long time. We are in good hands IMO. This will not make or break his tenure year however long or short it may be, but will be a good start.

Reactions: dcm3w
At first glance, I would say it’s still early to say that and would say no. But with that said, the importance of this game cannot be understated. This game alone will make his job easier or harder than he originally thought. Opportunity is in TN’s hands and a good showing can erase what started the TN downfall two years ago and can swing the arrow back up. Essentially this is a mulligan game from what should have been a springboard two years ago. Had TN won that game, they are Sugar Bowl bound and recruiting really takes off for Butch. If TN wins this game, recruiting can really take off for Pruitt.

On to the game, on paper, Tn should win. People have pointed to the talent being the difference in games this year as the biggest culprit, it’s the opposite, Tn far outweighs Vanderbilt on the field. This game will be about coaching as the Vols have the talent advantage at every position. On paper, this is a 42-21 game but games aren’t played on paper. Tn is 15th in total talent, Vandy is 45th. They have double the 2 stars than they do 4 stars.

Pride, UT football players don’t want to be the guys who lost to Vandy 3 years straight, first time since 1926.

This game is big, very big for recruiting as guys want to go to postseason play, they love the Swag Bag but coaches want those extra practices to build for next year, they need them. Pruitt said himself that postseason play is expected at Tn. I agree and it’s not like days of old where you needed to be 7-4 or better to get a bowl. Everyone goes to a bowl now. Pitch is easy in recruiting with a win, telling the recruits that if we can go bowling this year, imagine the bowls you will play in if you come, this is our floor, good times ahead. It starts Saturday. Tn has to go to a bowl to keep the arrow pointing up.

They will, Tn 28 Vandy 17.

No it isn’t. Vandy is a better football team right now. If this were year 3, maybe?

I don't know about biggest in his career but it's the biggest this season. If we win, we will be able to clearly see our stock trending upward. Getting to a bowl game after our past would be finally getting over the hump. It would help us with recruiting, morale, chemistry, and experience which would catapult us to next season.

We have been non competitive against teams they have competed with for 60 minutes: Missouri and Florida
If you disregard the UK and AU wins and just compare common Ls, I agree.

Depends on whether you want to look at the whole picture or just part of it.

Where is this “paper” that insists we are twice as good as Vandy? I would like to see it , cause for the last couple of years tha play on the field by “players” (not coaches) tells me different

I agree. I initially wanted to say how terrible the tread title is but I decided not to berate the OP.

To say it's the biggest game of his career is disingenuous. As head coach because this is his first year and he has a chance to get to a bowl game? Yeah maybe. Because it's the next game? Yeah maybe.

The reality is Lyle Jones left an awful team for any coach that had to take over. No need to comment further really, but the Vols will have their hands full because the "lack" of talent and not because who coaches better. Some of these folks are drunk or delusional about the talent.

GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: dcm3w
Debatable. Their best win is over a 5-6 (1-6) Ole Miss team.
Very true and barely hung on to win that one with a questionable call. That is their thing, they play well enough, to barely lose. They could easily have 8 wins right now. Could/should have beat ND, Fla, UK, and Mizzou. Went toe to toe with all 4 and found a way to lose.

Very true and barely hung on to win that one with a questionable call. That is their thing, they play well enough, to barely lose. They could easily have 8 wins right now. Could/should have beat ND, Fla, UK, and Mizzou. Went toe to toe with all 4 and found a way to lose.
They could also be 3-8 with Ls to TSU and Ole Miss.

I agree. I initially wanted to say how terrible the tread title is but I decided not to berate the OP.

To say it's the biggest game of his career is disingenuous. As head coach because this is his first year and he has a chance to get to a bowl game? Yeah maybe. Because it's the next game? Yeah maybe.

The reality is Lyle Jones left an awful team for any coach that had to take over. No need to comment further really, but the Vols will have their hands full because the "lack" of talent and not because who coaches better. Some of these folks are drunk or delusional about the talent.

GBO
If you have it, bring it. To say that Pruitt inherited a program worse than Butch did is ignorance at best. This team was 9-4 two years ago and over half of these players are still here. They quit on the coach last year, wasn’t a 4-8 talent team. Butch for all his faults inherited 2 star players from Dooley except the OL and there was a big gulf there bc Dooley went an entire cycle without signing one lineman, that’s insane. 247 gives the actual talent a team has based on rankings. Are they foolproof? No, but doesn’t take but a minute to realize the talent gap is there. The closer you are to the top of those rankings, the better chance of winning goes up exponentially. Are you really saying Vanderbilt has More talent than Tennessee? I just want to make sure...

If you have it, bring it. To say that Pruitt inherited a program worse than Butch did is ignorance at best. This team was 9-4 two years ago and over half of these players are still here. They quit on the coach last year, wasn’t a 4-8 talent team. Butch for all his faults inherited 2 star players from Dooley except the OL and there was a big gulf there bc Dooley went an entire cycle without signing one lineman, that’s insane. 247 gives the actual talent a team has based on rankings. Are they foolproof? No, but doesn’t take but a minute to realize the talent gap is there. The closer you are to the top of those rankings, the better chance of winning goes up exponentially. Are you really saying Vanderbilt has More talent than Tennessee? I just want to make sure...

He didnt say Pruitt has less talent than Butch when he took over. Btw, Butch was 5-7 his first year. To say this team is basically the same team as it was two years ago is ignorant. Only reason Butch achieved 9 wins was on the back of Dobbs and help from Kamara, Hurd, Kelly, Barnett, etc.

Vandy does not have the talent we do BUT that doesn't mean they can't whip our ass which THEY HAVE TWO YEARS IN A ROW against our teams that were more talented than the one we have now.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Good point, I know it works both ways. Key I think is stopping their running game, their RB is good. Their offense needs the run game, they rely heavy on play action.
For every common opponent they have that Vandy played substantially better against, there are wins over better teams that UT got where Vandy didn't. Vandy drew a substantially better west schedule with Arky and Ole Miss while UT got Bama and at least a decent AU team.

Agreed. QB is solid when they are balanced.

Defending the screen will be high on the list as well.

Reactions: secking
I don’t buy the statement that we have more talent than Vandy at all. Throw the star ratings out, our players regressed in college.

VN Store

Back