Is Utah State really that good???

What worries me most about Utah State is their uniform combinations.

If they come out in grey pants and a white helmet, we'll have to counter with smokey grays.
utah_state_football_uniforms.jpg

If they come out in this combination
utst-13-whiteblackhelmet-1-675x380.jpg

with this helmet
utah2.jpg

, we'll have to include an alternate helmet design, maybe gunmetal gray with an angry smokey design, to even have a chance.

If they successfully petition to be able to wear all gray,

New-Utah-State-Football-Uniforms-Away-2.jpg

We're screwed

The WAC on their uniform stands for "Wannabe in Another Conference."

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry U. State. You guys have plenty of holes to fill on both sides of the ball just like us. The difference is we are filling our needs with 3 to 5 star talent. you guys are filling your needs with 2 star talent. Huge difference there.

Sorry U. State. You guys have plenty of holes to fill on both sides of the ball just like us. The difference is we are filling our needs with 3 to 5 star talent. you guys are filling your needs with 2 star talent. Huge difference there.

Apparently the difference is all their players are diamonds in the rough and apparently all our players are underachievers ;) So it's unthinkable for us to be the favorite.

Reactions: 2 people
Apparently the difference is all their players are diamonds in the rough and apparently all our players are underachievers ;) So it's unthinkable for us to be the favorite.

You can't blame them for liking their own team. And you can't blame them for not knowing that we're not their average 5-7 team. And you can't blame them for thinking they would play UGA, USCe, UF and Bama close.

This will be a long 12 days...

Regardless of the outcome here, you will leave this game knowing..

1) USU is not Western Kentucky.
2) USU plays with a ton of heart.
3) You will be very impressed by Chuckie Keeton for a school like USU (especially with this being his first game back after an ACL and MCL tear and the given pressure and big stage the game will be on).

Reactions: 1 person

3) You will be very impressed by Chuckie Keeton for a school like USU (especially with this being his first game back after an ACL and MCL tear and the given pressure and big stage the game will be on).

If you go to the game you will leave knowing

1) every word to Rockytop
2) there is no better venue to watch a sporting event than Neyland Stadium under the lights
3) Tennessee fans treat opposing fans with class

Last edited:

Honest question.

Do you think they'll have Keeton run a lot?

Coming off a ACL & MCL tear teams usually ease the player back into the game.

I'll hang up an listen☝️

I've got a feeling the first piece of Jalen Hurd's collegiate highlight reel is going to be of him trucking a USU defender.

Damn I can't wait for the season to start!

I won't begrudge you any of those points.

I suspect when you leave the game, you will do so knowing:

1) UT is no USU.
2) Heart doesn't overcome talent that is looking to make a statement on their home field in front of 100,00 rabid fans.
3) You will be very impressed with nearly every position on the field for a school that has missed a bowl several seasons running.
4) It was a mistake trying to run so much around the edge against these defensive athletes.
5) It was a mistake trying to pass so much on this secondary.
5a) It was a mistake for Chucky to scramble around in the backfield so much with the speed UT has on the edges of the D, and the mismatches between your receivers and our secondary.

And possibly, God forbid, per Chucky's penchant to scramble around and look for breakdowns in the secondary:

6) Will Chucky be back this season? (See Connor Shaw USCe last season, about a 1/4 of UF's players last season, about 1/4 of UGA's players last season.)
7) Is it legal to hit that hard?

Utah State seems to be scarier than they are because we are such an unknown quantity. On paper, we beat the tar out of them, so let's line the field with paper!

Utah State seems to be scarier than they are because we are such an unknown quantity. On paper, we beat the tar out of them, so let's line the field with paper!

lol

And USU is such a 'known quantity'? Have you looked at their returning roster?

The difference between two teams that lost a major number of starters is that they lost overachievers, and we lost primarily underachievers. They return lesser talent. We return greater talent in most instances.

And what seems to be a 'known quantity' is that their style of play matches up well for our projected strengths. We have upgraded speed all over, but especially on the defensive edges and secondary. They make their money on lateral, edge runs, broken contain against their QB, and hoping for breakdowns in the secondary when he scrambles around in the backfield.

We look to match up quite well against that.

They have never shown a tendency or strength running up the middle. That's the biggest ??? on our revamped defense. From their off-season, reports are that they are working a lot on edge, lateral running. In other words, running away from our (potential) weakness and toward our strength.

On D, they look to make their hay on stunts and blitzes at the line, which is exactly what our offense says our D has been showing them all off-season, and they look to be handling it well. Plus, to stunt and blitz, you have to rob from somewhere else on the D to get it, which only maximizes the mismatches elsewhere.

I may be completely wrong, and I'll come back and admit it if I am, but I foresee trouble for USU in this game. (I also foresee a good season for them after this game.) This is just not a good matchup for them.

I also feel confident about this because the USU fans I've read seem to be so confident due to severe ignorance of the 2014 UT team. They've actually bought into the VN doom and gloom about our QBs. They think JW will stand back there, not knowing what the laces on the ball are for. They expect to clog the line and stop our running attack, not realizing that even if that works, their secondary will be absolutely worked over by oversized, strong, fast WRs.

Again... Could I be wrong? Absolutely. And I'll take my medicine and bring the crow.

But as of this moment, I am very confident, and that confidence is based on what I know, as opposed to what I don't.

OK my 3 takeaway post game predictions are

1. USU will not know how to act with the noise and atmosphere (see Cal 06)

2. UT will win and win handily with the passing game. There may not be a player in their secondary that could even make our 1st or 2nd teams this year and our WR corps and SR QB should be able to abuse them.

3. Butch has done a great job hyping the game and making the players feel like they are playing a championship caliber team.

I think we are 6-6 or 7-5 at best but USU is not one of the teams we will lose to or even be threatened by. Just my opinion.

CFN.com has USU ranked 71st out of 128 FBS teams. I don't think that they're quite the juggernaut that some purport them to be.

OK my 3 takeaway post game predictions are

1. USU will not know how to act with the noise and atmosphere (see Cal 06)

2. UT will win and win handily with the passing game. There may not be a player in their secondary that could even make our 1st or 2nd teams this year and our WR corps and SR QB should be able to abuse them.

3. Butch has done a great job hyping the game and making the players feel like they are playing a championship caliber team.

I think we are 6-6 or 7-5 at best but USU is not one of the teams we will lose to or even be threatened by. Just my opinion.

Now I'm not on here predicting a USU win (on usu's site I have predicted a Tennessee win), but I find it interesting so many are so quick to discount USU's secondary. And maybe you are right, it will suck.

But if you look at the past, USU has a system in place. That system has taken in 2-star kids, developed them through the system, and put 4 defensive backs in the NFL the last two seasons that were 2-star recruits. What makes you so sure that will all of a sudden change? You think USU just hit the jackpot with 4 seperate 2-star kids that were all just hidden stars?

The same system is in place. These kids are buying into the program and being developed.

On another note, I did check current defensive backs in the NFL from Tennessee and only saw 1 listed, Eric Berry.

Last edited:
Honest question.

Do you think they'll have Keeton run a lot?

Coming off a ACL & MCL tear teams usually ease the player back into the game.

I'll hang up an listen☝️

I don't think they will run set plays for him a lot but I do expect to see him running around plenty. With plays breaking down and a pass rush (offensive line is suspect) he will be forced to scramble around quite a bit and he will, it's what he does.

On another note, I did check current defensive backs in the NFL from Tennessee and didn't see a single one listed.

Are you serious? Really? Did KC drop out of the NFL? You've never heard of Eric Berry? Interestingly, his two brothers are suited up on UT's roster this year.

And...

It's funny you put so much faith in the players that are no longer on your team, when considering how this game may play out. Can you help me with your logic?

Would you like to trade places with us? A secondary full of undersized 2-star recruits going against a secondary full of fast, oversized 3, 4, and 5-star WRs?

Our WRs and TEs are going to eat peanuts off your secondary's heads. I made the same prediction when NC St. lauded their NFL-bound secondary before the game. You know what? Peanuts were eaten, and an entire fan base became suicidal overnight.

Are you serious? Really? Did KC drop out of the NFL? You've never heard of Eric Berry? Interestingly, his two brothers are suited up on UT's roster this year.

And...

It's funny you put so much faith in the players that are no longer on your team, when considering how this game may play out. Can you help me with your logic?

Would you like to trade places with us? A secondary full of undersized 2-star recruits going against a secondary full of fast, oversized 3, 4, and 5-star WRs?

Our WRs and TEs are going to eat peanuts off your secondary's heads. I made the same prediction when NC St. lauded their NFL-bound secondary before the game. You know what? Peanuts were eaten, and an entire fan base became suicidal overnight.

I edited that before your post. I'm well aware of who Eric Berry is.

My logic is simple, USU recruits a certain kid, gets him to buy into what they are doing and give 100% to it, and gets him bigger, faster, and stronger. I know it was the program that developed those past players into NFL players, and that program is still in place. None of those kids were anywhere near the NFL's radar before their junior or senior years.

Last edited:
I don't think they will run set plays for him a lot but I do expect to see him running around plenty. With plays breaking down and a pass rush (offensive line is suspect) he will be forced to scramble around quite a bit and he will, it's what he does.

Please note, this is neither a prediction, nor a wish. This a warning that you are playing with fire with the size and speed we have on the edges of the line this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVUsu2vuCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlHY4KDAAE

The thing that makes me feel better about him in this game is that reports from your camp are that, after the ACL, he seems to be missing receivers and getting rid of the ball earlier this year (so far). He seems to be rushing it.

I don't say that just because I want him missing receivers. I say that because I don't want him scrambling around back there, holding onto the ball, and getting broken in half.

As did Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Auburn, USC.

But we held our own.

Not trying to be snarky here either, but what makes you different than those teams?

The real difference is going to be apparent. Look at Ole Miss. Inject the 2013 recruiting class (4th in the country) and despite youth on both sides of the ball they went 8-5 and even beat a 10-3 LSU. I'm not saying it will happen, but 8-5 for us this year is not out of the question. I think you guys are basing your entire perception off of our past couple years, and that is a mistake.

Now I'm not on here predicting a USU win (on usu's site I have predicted a Tennessee win), but I find it interesting so many are so quick to discount USU's secondary. And maybe you are right, it will suck.
If they are a good secondary which roughly equates to a great one in mid-major competition... you still have a bigger disadvantage than you likely realize. It isn't just a function of you having to replace 3 starters in the secondary with guys who to this point do not look nearly as good as the guys they replaced. It is also a function of facing one of the most talented groups of WR's in the country. Talent doesn't always turn into performance but it would be VERY rare to have that much talent and have none of them perform at an extremely high level.

North for instance is a guy that you would typically try to double or bracket or cheat to his side... only you can't. UT has about 6 or 7 other guys who can absolutely KILL you from the WR position not to mention the RB's and TE's.

I have been watching UT football closely for many years. Again, talent does not always translate into performance... but this is the most "talented" group 7 or 8 deep that I have ever seen UT have.

But if you look at the past, USU has a system in place. That system has taken in 2-star kids, developed them through the system, and put 4 defensive backs in the NFL the last two seasons that were 2-star recruits. What makes you so sure that will all of a sudden change?
Sure? Nothing. Confident? The law of averages. The chances that your coaches successfully found 4 more 2* players good enough to develop into NFL players especially considering a coaching change... is very, very slim. It happens here and there... but almost never in the same place. Not quite the odds of lightning striking twice in the same place... but close.

You think USU just hit the jackpot with 4 seperate 2-star kids that were all just hidden stars?
Frankly. Yes. There was something about those players that kept them from being rated higher. They might have been too small, too slow, too weak, too unpolished, or whatever. They had to be developed further than a 3* or 4* recruit has to be developed making it a MUCH more risky prospect.

I edited that before your post. I'm well aware of who Eric Berry is.

My logic is simple, USU recruits a certain kid, gets him to buy into what they are doing and give 100% to it, and gets him bigger, faster, and stronger. I know it was the program that developed those past players into NFL players, and that program is still in place. None of those kids were anywhere near the NFL's radar before their junior or senior years.

USU CB roster:

29 Daniel Stewart 5-9 175 CB FR HS Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman
1 Daniel Gray 5-11 170 CB SO RS Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Boyd Andersen/Tennessee
6 Rashard Stewart 5-11 185 CB SR 3L Miami, Fla./Miami Jackson
40 Austin Cheney 5-9 190 CB SO TR Farmington, Utah/Viewmont/Southern Virginia
32 La'Ron Bennett 5-11 190 CB SR JC Manteca, Calif./Manteca/Foothill JC
31 Jentz Painter 5-8 170 CB SO SQ Riverton, Utah/Riverton
2 Marquan Ellison 5-11 175 CB SO 1L Milwaukee, Wis./Bradley Tech
24 Marwin Evans 6-1 195 CB JR RS Milwaukee, Wis./Oak Creek/Highland CC
13 Jalen Davis 5-10 160 CB FR HS La Mesa, Calif./Helix
22 Bryant Hayes 5-9 175 CB JR JC Compton, Calif./Compton/San Mateo
15 Tyler Floyd 5-9 185 CB JR JC Orlando, Fla./Bishop Moore/Fullerton
17 Deshane Hines 5-10 180 CB JR JC Fremont, Calif./American/San Mateo

UT WR roster:

7 Drae Bowles WR 6-0 206 RS SO Jackson, Tenn./Jackson Christian
5 Ryan Jenkins WR 5-11 193 RS FR Marietta, Ga./Lassiter
38 Jaye Rochell WR 6-2 206 RS FR Norcross, Ga./Wesleyan School
2 Pig Howard WR 5-8 187 JR Orlando, Fla./Edgewater
25 Josh Smith WR 6-1 200 SO Knoxville, Tenn./Christian Academy of Knoxville
83 Cody Blanc WR 6-3 207 JR Knoxville, Tenn./Knoxville Central
18 Jason Croom WR 6-5 243 RS SO Norcross, Ga./Norcross
9 Von Pearson WR 6-3 183 RS JR Newport News, Va./Denbigh/Feather River College (Calif.)
8 Marquez North WR 6-4 221 SO Charlotte, N.C./Mallard Creek
87 Jacob Carter WR 6-0 191 RS SR Nashville, Tenn./Ensworth
4 Vic Wharton WR 5-11 201 FR Spring Hill, Tenn./Independence
89 Adrian Gamble WR 6-1 176 JR Charlotte, N.C./Independence/Fork Union Military Acad./Virginia
3 Josh Malone WR 6-3 204 FR Gallatin, Tenn./Station Camp
81 Johnathon Johnson WR 5-9 186 JR Friendswood, Texas/Friendswood/Blinn College

You have one CB above 6', at 6'1". Is he a starter? Where is he in the rotation? I see a lot of 5'8 and 5'9 guys. Where are they in your rotation?

How many do you have to match up against 6'3, 6'3, 6'4, 6'5? How many do you have to overcome 30-50 lb (or more) weight differentials and potentially 5-6' in height? Oh, and those big guys have elite speed. Oh, and those big guys have a tendency to make spectacular, athletic catches. Oh, and they're being trained this year to knock your guys' helmets sideways at the line if they creep up and try to jam them.

So, it doesn't look like your system has been able to add inches to height, nor has it beefed them up to what you'll need against this stable of WRs.

Remember this word on Aug 31.

"Peanuts."

Reactions: 4 people
Haha well I already stated I was predicting a Tennessee win.

Heaven forbid utah state have anything right or solid in the program though. Any other strengths I can mention that you can go ahead and disprove and tear apart for me?

While I predict Tennessee will win I am 100% expecting a good game to watch though. I bought some great seats with my friends and will be there in attendance and can't wait for the experience.

VN Store

Back