Jabari McGhee Update

i think he is a great player and did somethings well but isnt talented enough to take the red shirt away. If he was avg 14pts 7rebs or was just a threat down low then he would but he isnt and thats why he sits and he redshirts.

He only played 8 games and this what his accomplishments look like at prior to the 8th game:

• Through his first seven college games, freshman
Jabari McGhee is averaging 2.3 offensive rebounds.
• 16 of his 29 total rebounds have come on the offensive
glass (55.2 percent). The 16 offensive boards
ranks second on the team behind only junior Armani
Moore (18).
• McGhee is averaging 12.0 total rebounds per 40 minutes
and 6.6 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes. He
is playing 13.9 minutes per game.

By now (16 games later), I am certain his name would be ringing throughout the SEC. I am sure he would have made a BIG difference.
So, if the team was going in the direction of the NCAAT and had a chance at going beyond the Sweet 16, Jabari would be back in rotation TOMORROW! LOL!:)

I predict Jabari is going to be a great one. Coach T sees his benefit 4 years down the road not 3. There is no way he would pull his red shirt. He's a smart man and an excellent coach.

Thanks SD! I love Coach T! Jabari has a lot of respect for him and his coaching.

Reactions: 1 person
Jabari's glaring weakness was excessively fouling. He might have been overcoming that when he hurt his foot, but if he doesn't fix it he'll be giving up a lot of minutes while sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Hopefully it was just a freshman issue.

He only played 8 games and this what his accomplishments look like at prior to the 8th game:

• Through his first seven college games, freshman
Jabari McGhee is averaging 2.3 offensive rebounds.
• 16 of his 29 total rebounds have come on the offensive
glass (55.2 percent). The 16 offensive boards
ranks second on the team behind only junior Armani
Moore (18).
• McGhee is averaging 12.0 total rebounds per 40 minutes
and 6.6 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes. He
is playing 13.9 minutes per game.

By now (16 games later), I am certain his name would be ringing throughout the SEC. I am sure he would have made a BIG difference.
So, if the team was going in the direction of the NCAAT and had a chance at going beyond the Sweet 16, Jabari would be back in rotation TOMORROW! LOL!:)

Having McGhee would have helped us greatly and would have led to maybe two extra wins, but he was also averaging 3 fouls per game in 13 minutes per game.

Carmichael is averaging 3.25 fouls per game in 15 minutes per game. The reality is many freshman big men have to learn the flow of the game and realize you can't give away cheap fouls and expect to be effective.

Reactions: 2 people
Having McGhee would have helped us greatly and would have led to maybe two extra wins, but he was also averaging 3 fouls per game in 13 minutes per game.

Carmichael is averaging 3.25 fouls per game in 15 minutes per game. The reality is many freshman big men have to learn the flow of the game and realize you can't give away cheap fouls and expect to be effective.

I am sure more than 2 but lol! This is true but he still did all of those accomplishments in the little short time he was on the floor...

I think that he is learning a lot about fouling, etc. from the bench. He watches Carmicheal struggle with the fouling!
Jabari, also, has to work on those FT's because he likes to drive to the paint and draw fouls. However, I believe these are all freshman failures...
Now, I'm going to personally, I mean personally, choke him out if he is foul prone next year. I'm not going to bother him TOO MUCH about the FT's because he has been missing one and making one for years. LOL...

I think that he is learning a lot about fouling, etc. from the bench. He watches Carmicheal struggle with the fouling!
Jabari, also, has to work on those FT's because he likes to drive to the paint and draw fouls. However, I believe these are all freshman failures...
Now, I'm going to personally, I mean personally, choke him out if he is foul prone next year. I'm not going to bother him TOO MUCH about the FT's because he has been missing one and making one for years. LOL...
Here are some more reasons the red shirt is beneficial for Jabari.
NCAA is considering making freshmen ineligible in college basketball - SBNation.com

Here are some more reasons the red shirt is beneficial for Jabari.
NCAA is considering making freshmen ineligible in college basketball - SBNation.com

I think that is a good idea! Most kids need an adjustment period to get in the groove of things their freshman year in college. I know I did. However, it was smooth sailing for me because I was attending my hometown's 4 year college. On the other hand, these athletes are traveling hours away from home and it is a bit harder to adjust without having your parents on hand for discipline, reminders, etc.
Thanks for the good read!

I just smile when I read everyone's opinion of what they think about Jabari being red shirted. I'm glad that CDT talks to Jabari and tells him what His plans are for him. None of you are remotely close except SD and Thunder. If we had a run for the NCAA Tourney Jabari would be back on the court. Tyndall has already said publically that he needs Jabari for his championship run in the future.

Whatever you think about jabari now I assure you next year you will change your mind. The guy is a workhorse. He did what he was recruited to do...rebound! His size had a lot to do with his fouling. Banging with guys who are 30-40 pounds larger can be a problem. All of you BB experts should know that. Yet, he held a couple of SEC rankings in those few games he played. So he must have been doing something right.

So Volswagg He's difinately not sitting the bench because he not talented. BTW...Don't know where you got the 7 rebounds from. The SEC has him down for averaging 12 rebounds.

You may want to go back and listen to Tyndal's interviews where he talks about Jabari and what he brings to the team. Just like Josh, Armani, Hubbs, and the other upperclassmen, Jabari will emerge as a valuable player at TN.

Reactions: 5 people
I just smile when I read everyone's opinion of what they think about Jabari being red shirted. I'm glad that CDT talks to Jabari and tells him what His plans are for him. None of you are remotely close except SD and Thunder. If we had a run for the NCAA Tourney Jabari would be back on the court. Tyndall has already said publically that he needs Jabari for his championship run in the future.

Whatever you think about jabari now I assure you next year you will change your mind. The guy is a workhorse. He did what he was recruited to do...rebound! His size had a lot to do with his fouling. Banging with guys who are 30-40 pounds larger can be a problem. All of you BB experts should know that. Yet, he held a couple of SEC rankings in those few games he played. So he must have been doing something right.

So Volswagg He's difinately not sitting the bench because he not talented. BTW...Don't know where you got the 7 rebounds from. The SEC has him down for averaging 12 rebounds.

You may want to go back and listen to Tyndal's interviews where he talks about Jabari and what he brings to the team. Just like Josh, Armani, Hubbs, and the other upperclassmen, Jabari will emerge as a valuable player at TN.

X 2 Auntie. He is a worker and will be a big reason the Vols get back to the sweet 16.

Glad to hear Jabari is being RS (at least that is my thought). Would be a waste at this point to take him out of a RS season. Even with Jabari, we don't have the experience this year to get past first round even if we lucked into getting in.We need him, Owens and Carmichael at full strength next year to make a run.

VN Store

Back