Janzen Jackson Story - Sad

It's amazing reading some comments and this article. People may want to blame UT, or weed (lol, seriously?) and the article tries to put a black eye on the judicial system. How about this-he was a grown man who had chance after chance given to him, and still chose to become a murderer.

Remember that thing we use to talk about, called personal responsibility?

Reactions: 16 people
I think his point was that some environments would be a stable, positive place that MIGHT help a troubled kid back on the right track, or a least not make his troubles worse. He wasn't in one of those environments while he was in Knoxville.

So stay away from any 2009-2011 Vols. Bunch of thugs. Unstable atmosphere yielded a bunch of criminals. amirite?

This part of your comment...

...is what stood out. Dude is sitting in prison for murder. They have film of him dragging the body out of the hotel or apartment. This didn't start with "being here at our most tumultuous era".

Once more, please don't put words in my mouth. Thank you.

So stay away from any 2009-2011 Vols. Bunch of thugs. Unstable atmosphere yielded a bunch of criminals. amirite?

Nobody said it yielded a bunch of criminals, just that it also wasn't an atmosphere that necessarily would have had a positive impact on someone who clearly had bigger picture issues.

LA wasn't toxic? Dad had to keep his thumb on him 24/7 to make him behave? Sounds like, anywhere his Dad didn't coexist with him was toxic. Gotta grow up sometime.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah, his time in Knoxville turned him into a murderer. Give me a break.

I don't think that's what he's saying. It is quite possible and more probable than not, that if he had not smoked pot so much, he would not have been dismissed from the team in the manner he was. He had coaches who were trying to mentor him. He may have been drafted after his junior year and done something special in the NFL.

Sounds like there is some mental disorder here, but had he been enrolled and under the watchful eye of the coaches, he may have received the help he needed.

Sad story.

weed and poor coaching usually doesn't create murderers?
environmental upbringing usually has more of an impact.

His addiction to weed caused his emotional problems and his mental illness.

Not sure if serious. Most likely his emotional problems and mental illness caused him to self-medicate with weed. That is how addiction works, not the other way around. Also, marijuana is not physically addictive, so it is just like being addicted to sex, food, gambling, etc. The basis for the addiction is an underlying issue (abuse, neglect, mental illness, etc.).

Reactions: 3 people
Shirley you can't be serious.

#1. Weed is not addictive.

#2. High people don't kill. They laugh and eat potato chips.

He is right - although the two are indirectly related. His inability to put the weed down lead to his dismissal. He went undrafted because of his social issues and his emotional state deteriorated.

Not sure if serious. Most likely his emotional problems and mental illness caused him to self-medicate with weed. That is how addiction works, not the other way around. Also, marijuana is not physically addictive, so it is just like being addicted to sex, food, gambling, etc. The basis for the addiction is an underlying issue (abuse, neglect, mental illness, etc.).

537.gif

This is such a sad story. I feel sorry for his family, he just chose the wrong path.

From a football side it almost sums up the downward spiral of the Vols. The names in the article Dre Kirpatrick, Eddie Lacey, Rueben Randal all go on to greatness and the one who comes to Tennessee gets kicked off the team. You never know what type of person youre getting when you recruit someone.

#1. Weed is not addictive.

#2. High people don't kill. They laugh and eat potato chips.

Well, he didn't say it was addictive. For the normal person, smoking weed has little baring on their body outside some false sense of euphoria. However, someone with an underlining condition, such as depression, can experience very bad after effects when they smoke weed or drink alcohol.

#1. Weed is not addictive. So false!!!

#2. High people don't kill. They laugh and eat potato chips. They may laugh and eat chips. But it effects everyone differently. Plenty of people have killed while high on weed.[/QUOTE]

Pot is physically addictive

#1. Weed is not addictive. So false!!!

#2. High people don't kill. They laugh and eat potato chips. They may laugh and eat chips. But it effects everyone differently. Plenty of people have killed while high on weed.[/QUOTE]

Weed is NOT addictive. No more than a cheeseburger is.

Reactions: 2 people
Former stoner here.

Weed is habit forming and can be addictive. It's just not a terrible addiction and much easier to quit. However, I know people that struggle when they are not smoking weed and can't quit. It becomes wrapped in their lives.

Weed doesn't make anyone want to kill anybody. I love when the news reporter says, "they have found traces of marijuana in murderer's system." Those people are probably already f***** up mentally or they don't have a problem with killing someone for something. It's also a false report because I could smoke weed on Monday and kill someone on Friday and I would fail the drug test. Then, the news would report that I murdered this person because I was high on marijuana.

Geez, no one can say things would or wouldn't have been different had he gone somewhere other than UT, no more than we can say in our own lives, had we turned left instead of turning right, or left 2 seconds sooner or later wouldn't have been in that crash...life happens and never stops, decisions along the way, influenced by people and situations always yield a result, we can all look back and say "I wish I had done that differently"...anyway, there are thousands of stories such as Janzens, and yea they are sad, especially to see the potential wasted. I cant judge Janzen, I never walked in his shoes, only know parts of his story, but I hope and pray for him to get things together and make the best of his life, whatever the outcome of the murder charges.

fyp. There are thousands of "ordinary" people in jail with JJ. You just don't hear about them.

Yeah, but the bigger tragedy is that there are people out here that say to themselves, "Wow, I wish I had the talent that so & so has, I would......."
But not only are these people locked in jail for years but they wasted their talents also.

Former stoner here.

Weed is habit forming and can be addictive. It's just not a terrible addiction and much easier to quit. However, I know people that struggle when they are not smoking weed and can't quit. It becomes wrapped in their lives.

Weed doesn't make anyone want to kill anybody. I love when the news reporter says, "they have found traces of marijuana in murderer's system." Those people are probably already f***** up mentally or they don't have a problem with killing someone for something. It's also a false report because I could smoke weed on Monday and kill someone on Friday and I would fail the drug test. Then, the news would report that I murdered this person because I was high on marijuana.

Anything can be addictive. Chocolate milk can be MENTALLY addictive. It does not contain physically addictive chemicals like ciggarettes, chewing tobacco, or alcohol.

VN Store

Back