Janzen Jackson Story - Sad

A lot of people in hear are victims to the "weed kills" government propaganda. Do your research. The war on drugs as brought us great things like meth and a larger prescription drug market. Success? They falsely educate kids from the time they're in elementary till they graduate high school as a scare tactic. Weed was demonized by the first drug czar so he could look like he was doing good and his funding would not be cut. Thanks to this, there is not enough unbiased research on the plant. When it the results don't match the agenda. That evidence is thrown out. Please please please do your research madbama any body else who believes " only losers smoke weed"

"Loser" may be a harsh term, but Kiddie's post above yours is spot on.

It's amazing reading some comments and this article. People may want to blame UT, or weed (lol, seriously?) and the article tries to put a black eye on the judicial system. How about this-he was a grown man who had chance after chance given to him, and still chose to become a murderer.

Remember that thing we use to talk about, called personal responsibility?

I agree with this post but the drug testing system in college athletics is a farce. You have to fail multiple screens before you are held accountable. We are encouraging this abuse and irresponsibility by saying it is ok to use drugs, just don't get caught.

As a member of the medical profession I am surprised by the fact that the media is ignoring the articles showing the detrimental effects of recreational drugs. I am sure their political agendas are much more important.

JJ was one of my favorite players in his short time at UT. First, picking UT over LSU was a great day. But his style of play was reckless and violent. He laid the wood every hit. It is really sad how his life has turned out.

My lasting memory of JJ is seeing him run towards the endzone where his family/friends and UT fans were sitting at LSU in 2010 when it appeared UT had upset the Tigers. JJ had taken a lot of heat for abandoning LSU and I felt great for him in that moment.

Of course, that moment lasted about a minute and then it all came crashing down. Foreshadowing the doom to come in his personal life.

It's nauseating to think how thin the line was for JJ between million dollar paychecks and life behind bars.

My most memorable JJ moments involve both good and bad as well. My favorite was the lick he put on Florida's Brandon James in the Swamp. My least favorite was the 15 yard penalty (which would probably have been targeting if that rule had been in effect) in the Music City Bowl against North Carolina. As it has been said, the highs and lows...

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of people in hear are victims to the "weed kills" government propaganda. Do your research. The war on drugs as brought us great things like meth and a larger prescription drug market. Success? They falsely educate kids from the time they're in elementary till they graduate high school as a scare tactic. Weed was demonized by the first drug czar so he could look like he was doing good and his funding would not be cut. Thanks to this, there is not enough unbiased research on the plant. When it the results don't match the agenda. That evidence is thrown out. Please please please do your research madbama any body else who believes " only losers smoke weed"

Marijuana Secondhand Smoke Seen as Damaging to Arteries as Tobacco Smoke
Marlene Busko
December 03, 2014

CHICAGO, IL — Breathing secondhand marijuana smoke may be just as damaging to the heart and blood vessels as inhaling secondhand cigarette smoke, a small study in rats suggests[1].

I'm going to disagree a little here, doc. I don't think its the coaches jobs to act as drug counselors and social workers. They have to maintain standards for the team, and can't keep a repeat offender on the team simply because that's the only opportunity he has to make something of himself.

I agree with you, Fade. I don't expect coaches to perform those duties. I was just suggesting that if he was exhibiting signs of an impending mental disorder (as his mother noted strange actions leading up to the murder), someone (a coach, another player) may have caught on and secured some help for him.

Weed is slightly addictive. It is much less addictive than nicotine, alcohol, Vicodin, etc. But it is slightly addictive. That said, some of you need to throw what you think you learned watching the reefer madness video in health class out the window. Marijuana isn't healthy, but it's not nearly anywhere as bad as people make it out to be. It's also not as innocuous as others make it out to be either.

A study of 110 adult participants show that long-term marijuana users have reduced gray matter volume and increased structural and functional connectivity in the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC), a brain region responsible for decision making, compared with nonusers. The findings also suggest that early onset of regular marijuana use may be associated with increased functional connectivity in white matter, whereas long duration of marijuana use might be tied to decreased structural connectivity.

These posts are from medical research. I would doubt that you may interested, but you can Google
The detrimental effects of recreational drug use and just look at the documented medical research.

A study of 110 adult participants show that long-term marijuana users have reduced gray matter volume and increased structural and functional connectivity in the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC), a brain region responsible for decision making, compared with nonusers. The findings also suggest that early onset of regular marijuana use may be associated with increased functional connectivity in white matter, whereas long duration of marijuana use might be tied to decreased structural connectivity.

These posts are from medical research. I would doubt that you may interested, but you can Google
The detrimental effects of recreational drug use and just look at the documented medical research.

You aren't going to convince the dope heads on here that marijuana is harmful regardless of the evidence. Addicts only want to hear about how great it is. Sadly with marijuana, by the time they realize what it has done to them, it's usually too late. i.e. Janzen Jackson.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, his time in Knoxville turned him into a murderer. Give me a break.

Poor leadership and direction led him down a path to obscurity and with an elite athlete with high aspirations and a lifelong goal he had been working towards faded. I've seen people go off the deep end, and do things, that I wouldn't have, in a million years, thought they would do. Mental health is serious and we are gradually cutting it out when we actually need it more and more.

The problem with this research is that the government will only fund research on it that is specifically looking for detrimental effects. Let's just ignore the fact that even the ones they do find are less then legal medication fed to you by the huge drug companies, but just like people say you won't be able to convince "users" it is bad..you also can't convince people who have been force fed false information their entire lives..or because they Google something and a single study says something negative, they ignore the other studies that show the benefits.

But whatever, I could care less if any of you care to use your brains on a subject or just eat what they feed you spoonful after spoonful.

Reactions: 4 people
The problem with this research is that the government will only fund research on it that is specifically looking for detrimental effects. Let's just ignore the fact that even the ones they do find are less then legal medication fed to you by the huge drug companies, but just like people say you won't be able to convince "users" it is bad..you also can't convince people who have been force fed false information their entire lives..or because they Google something and a single study says something negative, they ignore the other studies that show the benefits.

But whatever, I could care less if any of you care to use your brains on a subject or just eat what they feed you spoonful after spoonful.

*couldn't

Here comes a long post

First of all, it's kind of sad that a story about the fall of JJ has desolved into a debate(and I use that term loosely) whether weed is addictive. I don't know how Janzen's life went so wrong but I'm confident smoking weed wasn't the leading cause. I'm on page 6 and still haven't seen anyone point out that his mother tried reaching out for help with what she believed were mental health issues weeks before he did something horrible that couldn't be undone. That maybe the greatest tragedy in this whole story. If you saw 60 Minutes this week you saw how mental healthcare in a for-profit industry is failing people but I digress.

Secondly, it would be a wonderful world if no one felt the need to get intoxicated but throughout recorded history it's been part of the human experience to take mind altering substances. With that being the case marijuana is definitely the most benign and safest one I've ever been exposed to. And yes I have done my fair share of narcotics, legal and otherwise. I'd love to see how many people here with righteous indignation of cannabis shout out what they're drinking on gameday. Judge not lest ye.....

BTW, I remember when Janzen went to rehab somebody like Hubbs or Jimmy emplying it was more then just weed. Like we're use to the weed thing and this is much more serious i.e. coke or meth or somthing along those lines. Anyone else remember it that way?

You aren't going to convince the dope heads on here that marijuana is harmful regardless of the evidence. Addicts only want to hear about how great it is. Sadly with marijuana, by the time they realize what it has done to them, it's usually too late. i.e. Janzen Jackson.

Haven't left Henry County much have you?

Indeed a sad story. Thanks for posting Vham. A little self-control would have went a long, long way with his natural talent.

Poor leadership and direction led him down a path to obscurity and with an elite athlete with high aspirations and a lifelong goal he had been working towards faded. I've seen people go off the deep end, and do things, that I wouldn't have, in a million years, thought they would do. Mental health is serious and we are gradually cutting it out when we actually need it more and more.

Yep. His parent had nothing to do with it..

VN Store

Back