Jauan Jennings explains his extreme dislike of Vanderbilt

Well, not always. Most Tennessee fans have forgotten or didn't know the General Neyland was hired , specifically, to beat Vanderbilt in football. I can not hate Vanderbilt because both my parents were born in Middle Tennessee and my father attended Vandy for his first two years of Medical School. This 1917 and 1918. Most of my Uncles attended Vandy and receives great educations and became very successful careers. WWI interrupted my father's medical schooling when he joined the Army in WWI. When the war was over, he toured the United States to gain knowledge of what the rest of our Nation. Soon after that he married and had two children and went to work for Ford in Michigan. When the depression started, he moved back to Middle Tennessee and decided to enter school at Tennessee. So, I still have a soft spot in my heart for Vanderbilt as an educational institution. However, I have no love for their athletic programs and enjoy the position they hold in the current SEC athletic rankings.
Neyland became coach in ‘26. SEC was formed in ‘33.

We have played Vanderbilt for over 100 years. Neyland was still hired to beat Vanderbilt.
The important detail in the discussion is that they were a waste of a spot in the conference. Neyland being hired to beat them has nothing to do with them being a waste of a spot in the conference that didn’t exist when Neyland was hired.

The important detail in the discussion is that they were a waste of a spot in the conference. Neyland being hired to beat them has nothing to do with them being a waste of a spot in the conference that didn’t exist when Neyland was hired.
They were not a wasted spot when he was hired. The point is things change over time and one does not kick out a charter member of a conference because their football program has declined. Remember, they have beaten us three times in the last 10 years..

Reactions: mercuryvol
They were not a wasted spot when he was hired. The point is things change over time and one does not kick out a charter member of a conference because their football program has declined. Remember, they have beaten us three times in the last 10 years..
Because the conference didn’t exist, dude. That’s the whole point. He said they’re a waste of space in the SEC.

I remember watching a documentary maybe 15-20 years ago about why Vandy is still in the SEC and, it basically said they are here as a guaranteed Div I win for the other SEC teams. Their value for that is returned in the money they siphon off of the other teams.

P.S. Can you guys just imagine if we got excited to play them like Ole Miss does? They are rivals! Lol
Then went on a whoop Tennesse's period for a minute not too long ago. I think you lack of excitment to beat their eyes shut is sign of short memory or something. Their fans and coachs were super fast to kick Tennessee every chance they got. I get excited and love when CJH comes for their heads.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Because the conference didn’t exist, dude. That’s the whole point. He said they’re a waste of space in the SEC.
Vanderbilt has beaten us 3 times in the last 10 years and they were in the SEC. Based that train of thought, does he/you think we are a waste of a space? I know the SEC has been around for a long time and a charter member has not been around for a long time. In the early 1900s, Suwannee was a football power and turned the South East and Texas to play football and won most of the games that played on those tours. Based on those games they were a charter member of the SEC, They record for their first 36 games was 0-36. The decided that they were in the wrong league and withdrew and play in a lower Conference. Vanderbilt was a pretty good football program before the WWII. Integration of Colleges was the beginning of the decline of their football program. Vanderbilt football players take courses at Peabody College because of academic restrictions on recruiting and transferring. Peabody College became a the smallest college at Vanderbilt and their students can take courses at Peabody and those credits count toward their degree at Vanderbilt.

Don't I remember Jauan's last game.....some sort of drama about stepping on a Vandy players head...or, something of that nature?? Maybe I'm wrong, I've slept a couple times since then.
2nd to last. He sat out the first half of the bowl game that year because of that, but played the 2nd.

Being in Nashville and having a huge amount of money helps a ton. Having a good season in a sport every once in a while is enough. Think Northwestern or Cal.

Then went on a whoop Tennesse's period for a minute not too long ago. I think you lack of excitment to beat their eyes shut is sign of short memory or something. Their fans and coachs were super fast to kick Tennessee every chance they got. I get excited and love when CJH comes for their heads.
Actually, it’s my long term memory that’s sharp, not short term. I remember listening to John Ward call the Vandy loss when Allen Cockrell was QB. I think he was actually a baseball player; maybe even better known for pitching. That was somewhere around ‘82-‘83. Then the 2005 season happened.

I’m glad that they’re in the SEC and also that they’re a “rival”. At the end of the year when we are pretty banged up from league play you can always count on a glorified bye week against them prior to postseason play. Bless their hearts.

Actually, it’s my long term memory that’s sharp, not short term. I remember listening to John Ward call the Vandy loss when Allen Cockrell was QB. I think he was actually a baseball player; maybe even better known for pitching. That was somewhere around ‘82-‘83. Then the 2005 season happened.
Super far. Those years of Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt are not worth remembering.

Reactions: #1fulmerite

VN Store

Back