Jay Bilas just called out the refs

You really believe that? Let’s see what happens when they come here. There were a lot of “missed” calls in this game. I mean they showed a montage of the reigning, and probable repeating POY getting knocked around. On his first free throws it took them fouling twice to get a whistle.

After the LSU debacle... I knew the refs would favor KY, but this was absolutely ridiculous! At one point in the second half fouls were 9-2 then 10-3. How can we possibly compete in a super physical game with a 3-1 foul ratio?

For sure. Kentucky played with more energy, shot the ball better, and played far better defense. Ready to see them again in Knoxville. Go Vols!

UK outhustled us to balls. We couldn't throw a ball in the ocean! Refs realized they weren't needed after long enough. Gotta give the Cats credit. They flat out owned us on tonight.
Regroup, learn from it, get better, and get back to winning. We knew the odds of an SEC sweep were slim.
Agree 100%

Reactions: livefaith
yea basketball can be physical, but this was blatant. most likely they told the refs their game plan and told them to lay off the fouls...about as crooked as pro ball, if not more
Yup - basketball refs are human (well most are) and they get caught up in the moment just like anyone else. Once they let Travis assault us in the 2nd half there was nothing left to be done. Game was over then.

Reactions: gisman
I've thought Bilas could have been biased recently, but my opinion of him grew after his comments acknowledging the clear discrepancy
(even if minutes later it was couched in attempts to justify it).

Basketball is physical.

Yep.

It’s ok for Reid to shove Alexander to the ground after a jump ball.

Let’s also not forget about Reid hooking Alexander’s arm and tossing him around resulting in a Tennessee foul.

You literally can’t make this sh*t up.

Yep.

Let’s also not forget about Reid hooking Alexander’s arm and tossing him around resulting in a Tennessee foul.

That's what I was referring to as well. I loved the one where he completely hooked Alexander and tossed him back and they called the foul on Kyle.

Yep.

But literally, you should perhaps take a look at the stat sheet. Kentucky dominated the game in most of the other facets. Your boys laid a turd. It happens. The important thing is they get up and play the next game.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
But literally, you should perhaps take a look at the stat sheet. Kentucky dominated the game in most of the other facets. Your boys laid a turd. It happens. The important thing is they get up and play the next game.
Hard to get any type of rhythm when you’re getting called for a foul everytime you breathe on someone

Reactions: vols1221 and gisman
Basketball is physical.
Your program is the best all time in basketball, your fans are the absolute worst. I have monitored Kentucky fans for years and you guys never change. Had you guys gotten ****ed by the refs like tonight you would be screaming absolute bloody murder, but since it went your way ( which it almost always does as refs are concerned) basketball is a physical game. ...

For sure. Kentucky played with more energy, shot the ball better, and played far better defense. Ready to see them again in Knoxville. Go Vols!

Well if I could reach in, go over the back, and make body contact with the shooter, and not get called for a foul. Then I’d play with a lot of energy too! The first 8 minutes of the second half decided this game. Care to guess the foul count at the end of their 14-0 run? Grant got hammered all night, and they refused to call it!

When they showed the montage of plays they commented “that’s usually a foul”. Kentucky was allowed to play with lots of contact. (Our first FT coming 5 minutes into second half says it all). They took us out of our flow and normal game plan

On the bright side, there could be a montage of the (ghost fouls that were called) fouls on Tennessee alongside
the fouls committed by Kentucky (including the fragrant pushes and slam downs) that Rupp's crew failed to call
and use it as a teaching moments for refs so that other game outcomes aren't impacted so decisively to the point
the official result cannot be trusted as valid. Will that happen? Probably not. That's just the ideal vs. real.

Reactions: Sportslady
Check how many fouls against each team.
I won’t blame the loss on the Refs.
Kentucky was allowed to push and shove to get offensive rebounds and throw Tennessee players around in the first half.
Tennessee didn’t adjust.

Honest assessment: doubt we win this one regardless of the refs. Time to regroup and let this be a learning experience for us. Go Vols.
Agree. We didn't play well tonight. Grant, Admiral, and Bone played decently well. They definitely took us out of our game plan and kudos to them for doing so. The games we've won thus far we've gotten the normal contributions from those 3, but the difference offensively tonight was the absence of Turner and Bowden. We also didn't help ourselves with rebounding either.

The team with the 5 stars won. That is what is supposed to happen. Tennessee got outplayed, plain and simple. I saw the same things tonight from this team that I have seen all year. Not giving maximum effort, giving up on plays, and not boxing out. I knew these things would hurt us sooner or later. Despite all that, if we had hit half of our 3 pointers, this would have been a tight game in the second half. As the saying goes, at least they got a loss out of the way now instead of in one of the tourneys.

Reactions: VolforFootball
Agree. We didn't play well tonight. Grant, Admiral, and Bone played decently well. They definitely took us out of our game plan and kudos to them for doing so. The games we've won thus far we've gotten the normal contributions from those 3, but the difference offensively tonight was the absence of Turner and Bowden. We also didn't help ourselves with rebounding either.
We tend to have that problem regarding your rebounding comment. That's why teams with length scare me.

Reactions: Bassplayer30074
I agree. But we likely were not going to win this game regardless. Though it certainly would have been a close game.

I think we take it to them when they come here! Washington should have been on the bench with 2 fouls within the first minute! Yet the refs somehow “missed” him pushing Admiral down at 19:15.

Your program is the best all time in basketball, your fans are the absolute worst. I have monitored Kentucky fans for years and you guys never change. Had you guys gotten ****ed by the refs like tonight you would be screaming absolute bloody murder, but since it went your way ( which it almost always does as refs are concerned) basketball is a physical game. ...
No they’re not. Duke and UNC are better in the moderen era.

VN Store

Back