Jay Bilas just called out the refs

Jay Bilas is full of $h!t. I counted at least 20 fouls in the 1st half that were not called. He only cares about Duke and was dogging us the whole game to make Duke look better.
He can GTFO! Buck Jay Bilas and Kentucky!

2 week's in K Town it will be a different game.

Reactions: vols1221 and gunner
But literally, you should perhaps take a look at the stat sheet. Kentucky dominated the game in most of the other facets. Your boys laid a turd. It happens. The important thing is they get up and play the next game.
you don’t read too well do you

Basketball is physical.

Only because they allow it to be physical. It is not supposed to be a physical contact sport.

“Basketball is NOT a contact sport even though we see various forms of contact between players. A contact sport is one where physical contact with your opponent(s) is part of the game and is not against the rules of the game. i.e. American Football, Hockey, Rugby, Lacrosse.”

How is or isn't basketball a contact sport? - ...

Reactions: OneVolNation
We got dominated. Let’s learn and move on. We didn’t lose the game bc of them.
Not so fast. With the right # of zeros(Money paid to the Refs for an advantage when it comes to the way they called fouls.) we would have won walking away.

It didn’t help that our shots(Open shots.) we not falling and their shots(Open shots.)were falling.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I watch a lot of college basketball. The officiating is garbage on a regular basis. And it typically will benefit one team more than another. It’s just a fact. Tennessee was awful tonight and didn’t deserve to win. But that doesn’t let these dog **** refs off the hook. Look at what happened to UK in their last game. Anyone who wants to defend officiating in college basketball is really going out on a limb....

Hard to get any type of rhythm when you’re getting called for a foul everytime you breathe on someone
Kentucky played out of their minds but the refs helped them get the ball rolling. They've done that up there in the he11hole for decades. Tennessee needed to play a lot better though but the game would have been significantly closer if it was called even remotely fairly. Kentucky and their fans are miserable garbage. I hope our players get better from it and they torch Kentucky down here in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Yep but a huge waste of time to worry about it. Plus in the tourney that’s how games are called.
Unfortunately in college basketball you sometimes have to play against the refs too. Tonight we had a lot of issues. Didn’t need the refs to be one of them

Unfortunately in college basketball you sometimes have to play against the refs too. Tonight we had a lot of issues. Didn’t need the refs to be one of them

Agree. Was watching with some not Tennessee fan buddies tonight. First half they thought I was “moaning”. Second half they were in agreement that though Tennessee wasn’t playing all that well, refs were definitely calling game in favor of Cats. That was from a Syracuse fan and just a bettor that had already bet on UK to beat the spread.

Anybody else notice, I think it was right after halftime, when yhey played their little montage showing how physical the game had been that it was literally all UK players running over and smashing into ours? I honestly don’t think there was a single highlight the other way around in the entire thing.

Last edited:
Yep, the couple of dozen shoves, hooks, throw downs and other fouls the Kentucky team did that weren't called determined the game regardless of the scoreboard. You give one team 20+ extra possessions and take away several from the other and it's not even a regulation contest anymore, but just a Rupperees exhibition. Ticket prices should be refunded, a hefty penalty levied on all the culprits involved and payment to Tennessee for damages to the brand incurred as a result of the shenanigans. The sad part is that young kids who don't know any better and the weak minded will accept the score as legit instead of the professional wrestling circus court farce anyone with at least an eye and an IQ equaling the number of fouls called on Kentucky in the first half recognized.

College basketball officiating is worse than any major sport in North America. That is a fact.

That said, Tennessee deserved to lose. They have started playing a finesse style of ball and they finally had to pay tonight. For whatever reason, they panicked, and tried to win being a perimeter shooting team. Jay Bilas was dead on about saying the aggressor always gets the benefit. PJ Washington pushed the officials to the edge and got away with it. Meanwhile, Tennessee played soft and continuously threw awful entry passes and terrible drives to the bucket. The bigger issue than refereeing tonight was Tennessee's lack of fight. That was embarrassing.

Travis was missing was a knife. Good lord the refs let him do whatever he wanted with no calls. There was about 3 possessions in a row in the 2nd half where he hooked or completely bumped our guys out of the way twice and we got whistled and then he threw Alexander to the ground and no call. He's a typical UK arrogant punk too.

I agree with all except the last sentence. I wouldn't call Travis a punk. From what I've seen he's a good kid. With that said, I have noticed he has started playing like a wrestler on the court because he was playing bad for more than half the season. Seems like he has resorted to what I like to refer to as weightlifting physicality. Where he pushes with his knees and the ref's let him get away with it. In general they were allowed freedom to make contact with the body and slap at the ball while UT didn't get the same luxury.

College basketball officiating is worse than any major sport in North America. That is a fact.

That said, Tennessee deserved to lose. They have started playing a finesse style of ball and they finally had to pay tonight. For whatever reason, they panicked, and tried to win being a perimeter shooting team. Jay Bilas was dead on about saying the aggressor always gets the benefit. PJ Washington pushed the officials to the edge and got away with it. Meanwhile, Tennessee played soft and continuously threw awful entry passes and terrible drives to the bucket. The bigger issue than refereeing tonight was Tennessee's lack of fight. That was embarrassing.
I agree w all of this except that they didn’t fight back. I thought they played hard but weren’t executing anything. Just flailing around out there trying to figure it out. Players couldn’t make plays and coaches weren’t effective

Congratulations to Kentucky for being the most physical team in a non contract sport. If the Vols are to win the SEC and advance to the Final Four in the NCAAT they have to expect this type of physical play and respond better to it.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Check how many fouls against each team.
I won’t blame the loss on the Refs.
Kentucky was allowed to push and shove to get offensive rebounds and throw Tennessee players around in the first half.
Tennessee didn’t adjust.

The Vols couldn't adjust because the ref's called fouls and Alexander was gone with 9 minutes left. Kentucky players are really good at the "hard to notice" pushing especially Travis. He might not get the rebound but he will shove the teams other player while someone on his team grabs it.

Reactions: TBvol
He said “I’m not a fan of make up calls, but that exactly what happening. Their balancing out the calls.” What a joke!

I pointed out the ref's made several inconsequential calls to end the first half against UK after they had gone almost the whole half allowing them to play rugby and had 1 team foul.

Reactions: vols1221
If 1/2 of our open shots would have fallen we would be gold.

We missed too many open shots.

Why? You tell me.

Honest assessment: doubt we win this one regardless of the refs. Time to regroup and let this be a learning experience for us. Go Vols.

Not sure I agree with that. When the refs make it clear early in the game that KY players can beat the H out of UT players, but the Vols will get called for barely touching a KY player, which is what happened, it has to have an emotional impact on the Vol players. They began being overly careful to not be very physical, whereas KY continued to beat up on the Vols. I think there were 9 UT fouls to 4 for KY at halftime, and 3 of the KY fouls came late in the half. While the specific foul calls may not have changed the outcome, they created a mindset for both teams that affected their play. I hope Barnes tells the SEC that he will not accept this group of officials to ever call a Tennessee game again. They should be fired, but that probably will not happen.

Yep but a huge waste of time to worry about it. Plus in the tourney that’s how games are called.
It's not gonna change anything no.

I dont agree with the last part. That varies like the weather which my biggest beef with officiating.

Heck, the consistency between the halves tonite was terrible.

Reactions: vols1221
It is bad when you know you will get cheated at Rupp! Its like you see it coming. You see it happen and your astonished it can happen in a supposedly fair game. You know its out of control when Bilas who hates Tenn has to keep saying it. And hell yes it cost us the game! Even when we made a run and cut it to 11 - back to back to back Travis posted up and ran into and knocked the hell out of our guys and fouled out Alexander and Scofield. And got 6 points. Yes it was terrible and I will say it clearly criminal, not accidental!

VN Store

Back