Jeremy Pruitt show online

I understand him quite well. I just don’t see what the big deal is. I think everyone understands him. Some people just get up in arms because it embarrasses them to have a coach that speaks ‘hick’.

Honestly I don’t care as long as he can coach football. I stopped listening to coach speak a long time ago.

That said, fair or not, the county vernacular makes one sound less intelligent. Not saying it’s true, I personally know several ‘country boys’ that are much smarter than me... but that is the perception.

It's funny, I point out why people would want others especially public figures to use proper grammar and now im the guy saying he needs to learn to speak. Honestly I could care less how he speaks, but the reality is the rest of the world does care, So I was explaining why.
Couldn't care less*

Jk btw.

Reactions: BloomuVol and dono
I have an engineering degree from UT. I know the correct way to speak. I’m sure CJP knows the correct way to speak, but in reality you are who you are. Why change the way you speak just to please others?

Because he is representing the University of Tennessee (and not just to please others).

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Having a southern accent and working in silicon valley-centered tech can be challenging. I am now retired, but when working, I always thought I had subdued my accent. Until I would hear myself on a recording. De-law!
At one time in my life years ago I was in the media. I was always aware of my southern accent then about 5 years ago I did a fairly long interview with CBS news (who I have very little if any respect for by the way). I was determined to speak with my normal voice and accent. You guessed it. Every friend, family, and co-workers said the same thing after watching the interview - "I could sure tell you were from the south". I've never been more proud! :cool::cool:

Why don't you guys try backing off coach Pruitt for awhile. Most of us sound the same way to the northern yankees. So you sound as bad to them and Pruitt would to you.

In about 3 more years if Pruitt were to leave you would probably be the ones crying and begging for him to stay and he would be laughing at you. Try to show a little respect anyway.
How about trying to encourage him to go all out and beat Bama. Let the guy and his family know as vol fans you have his back as long as he continues to show progress. Let the recruits know you stand behind the guy.
You say you love the Vols but you keep throwing boulders at him from the castle walls. You make it harder for the guy to recruit. Some people coach for the money and some coach for the love of the game and try to make a difference in a kids life.
It's tough enough to recruit these days. Recruits expect you to hand them the world. Their demands are high. Ease off the guy for awhile. Try letting something good come across the board every now and then

That’s understandable. But my question is this. Why care what they think? This is our team not theirs. I couldn’t care any less what people think of me. I’m here to be me and if someone doesn’t like that then they can go do whatever I really don’t care. Same with my team if you don’t like them or how the coach speaks then go jump on a bandwagon somewhere else.
Please, give an example of the rest of the world cares!
Well, there have been plenty of threads on here talking about it. For some reason there has always been threads about each coach and their accent. It matters to some more than others. Again, I dont care how he speaks. I personally try to use the most accurate words to support my statements that's something I personally strive for in myself, doesnt mean I hold others to that standard, someone asked why people would care and I explained why.

Reactions: VolFan4life24
Fair enough, I was rushing. I said I strive to be good, not perfect.
I forgive you. Even though I was making a case to defend Pruitt and ‘Hick English’ I made sure to use the correct version of this just in the case of someone correcting it as they did you. Like I said I don’t care and it’s doesnt bother me. I am able to understand almost everybody and that’s all that matters.

Reactions: cgrish
I have an engineering degree from UT. I know the correct way to speak. I’m sure CJP knows the correct way to speak, but in reality you are who you are. Why change the way you speak just to please others?

I know many people that don't speak correct grammar who can communicate much better than those who do. They speak in a manner that you understand what they are talking about. I am fine with cjp speaking, it is real and understandable. He is not trying to put on a show, you are hearing the real person like it or not.

Because using correct grammar and syntax allows more precise communication.

I totally disagree, good communication is much more than correct grammar. Good communication is understanding what a person is saying. Example Pruitt says done good, is there any doubt what he meant? It means the same as did good and no doubt about it. I agree correct grammar is more pleasant to listen to but has nothing to do with understanding what a person means, thus you have communicated good.

Reactions: stephp4ut
It's funny, I point out why people would want others especially public figures to use proper grammar and now im the guy saying he needs to learn to speak. Honestly I could care less how he speaks, but the reality is the rest of the world does care, So I was explaining why.

Sounded like you cared, my bad then. Imo most of the world doesn't care as long as they can understand the message. I mean I'm sure there are some who care but they are the minority. People speak differently in different parts of the country. Pruitt is straight Ala. country, and his speach is common in that part of the country for a lot of people.

Honestly I don’t care as long as he can coach football. I stopped listening to coach speak a long time ago.

That said, fair or not, the county vernacular makes one sound less intelligent. Not saying it’s true, I personally know several ‘country boys’ that are much smarter than me... but that is the perception.

Butch jones spoke more correctly and fluently, but I had much rather hear Pruitt speak than him.

My thoughts exactly!!! He’s a country boy and I love it! Beats sounding like a slimy used car salesman.

Just what I was saying I had much rather hear Pruitt speak than Butch Jones. Pruitt is real, not trying to put on a show for anyone, just being himself. And I am proud of the southern heritage.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Because he is representing the University of Tennessee (and not just to please others).[/QU

He is representing ut as head football coach; not an english teacher. If he is a wnner that is representing ut very well; and when I say win I am meaning to win the correct way. I could care less if he speaks correctly.

I forgive you. Even though I was making a case to defend Pruitt and ‘Hick English’ I made sure to use the correct version of this just in the case of someone correcting it as they did you. Like I said I don’t care and it’s doesnt bother me. I am able to understand almost everybody and that’s all that matters.
Again, I want to make it clear, i dont really care how Pruitt speaks. The only coach I really care about their speech is coach O. I cant understand him half the time. Having said that Coach Pruitt does pronounce some words in a manner that grinds my gears.

VN Store

Back