John Currie has a dilemma on his hands...

There is no dilemma. We need a new coach. We've needed a good, new coach for a LONG time. ...

how far back you talking,i remember same posts when coach summit lost to ball state in 1st round.this team has been handicapped all season wth really only 7 player rotation.green n cooper would have helped lots,green who i watched play reminds me of old school very physical low post lady vol player.cooper played wth intensity n was good defender

What coaches? Barnes has only been here two seasons. Butch got here when Holly took over and the football program is significantly better now. The women's basketball program is significantly worse...

The administration should call Wes Moore, who is making 200k less a year than Holly at NC State tonight, and sign the deal now and get the Ladyvols back to national prominence. -one can only wish.

Reactions: 2 people
If the leadership of THE (well, at least one of the) #1 WCBB program in the nation is still basing our coaching situation on nebulously "honoring Pat", then we have FAILED leadership. If CHW is the leader with the best potential, then get behind her and help her restore us to elite status. If she is not, then cut bait and bring in the best. If this vision is not the vision of our UTLV power leadership, then Head Coach is NOT our problem.

You forgot the most important point. Women's basketball doesn't make money. It makes zero business sense to pay a buyout. As bad as she is, the only reasonable decision is to wait out the contract.

I don't know if paying a buyout is more or losing further "non profitable" revenue is more. But, in my mind, you need to take a few precautions in a coaching change scenario.

#1 Make sure and secure the top recruiting class coming in. Before you alienate these top players, count that cost.
#2 If you haven't been doing the job right yet, then get your ar$e$ on the elite coach recruiting trail NOW. When the (potentional) firing takes place, then the insiders already know which elite replacement is on the way. Do NOT fire, pay a buyout, then "go out there and see who you can throw $$$ at to get".
#3 If you do #1 & #2 right, then you'll have 99% of the elite coaches in the nation knocking the door down for this job. Top recruiting class in place. Monster program history, legacy, facilities, and fan base. Most importantly, CHW took the post-legend "scapegoating" that new guy/gal gets to save us from.

Bama got Saban. UK got Calamari. In short, be shrewd! Don't screw this up again.

I don't know if paying a buyout is more or losing further "non profitable" revenue is more. But, in my mind, you need to take a few precautions in a coaching change scenario.

#1 Make sure and secure the top recruiting class coming in. Before you alienate these top players, count that cost.
#2 If you haven't been doing the job right yet, then get your ar$e$ on the elite coach recruiting trail NOW. When the (potentional) firing takes place, then the insiders already know which elite replacement is on the way. Do NOT fire, pay a buyout, then "go out there and see who you can throw $$$ at to get".
#3 If you do #1 & #2 right, then you'll have 99% of the elite coaches in the nation knocking the door down for this job. Top recruiting class in place. Monster program history, legacy, facilities, and fan base. Most importantly, CHW took the post-legend "scapegoating" that new guy/gal gets to save us from.

Bama got Saban. UK got Calamari. In short, be shrewd! Don't screw this up again.

Forget about all that. Get rid of her now. Bring in a new coach.
FIRE HOLLY!

Reactions: 1 person
I know the path the AD will take with Holly is to keep running out her contract. This will send a message that she either has to take this team to a final four or she will be gone. She will be back next season mainly because she recruited the number one class and this team was seen as having a weak bench due to injuries and a transfer.

There is no dilemna, fire her now and get on with it, geez! The recruits can't change their mind they have signed the LOI. Besides, when we hire the best coach available they will be out of their mind happy. It is the only thing to do. If Currie won't do it, we hired the wrong person.

Signed... Somewhere I thought incomings could opt out if the coach was let go. Must have dreamed this.

Even a number 1 recruiting class needs a dynamic coach to succeed.
Holly's about as dynamic as a garden slug.
Regime change is in order, even if it means losing a key recruit or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Until they have a losing record and don't make the tournament, there is little chance she gets fired. It may even take a couple losing season... women's basketball doesn't make money. I can't see them buying out her contract unless the situation is dire. With 2 years at $665,000 remaining, we're talking about taking a 1.3 million hit to athletics budget.

Last edited:
The only thing that Holly has proven is that it's obvious she rode the coattails of the greatest for all those years. She must go. And this wouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction; she has made it very clear that she is lost.

This "Casper" is not going to fire anyone. She needs to "retire" and do the fan base a favor.

Until they have a losing record and don't make the tournament, there is little chance she gets fired. It may even take a couple losing season... women's basketball doesn't make money. I can't see them buying out her contract unless the situation is dire. With 2 years at $665,000 remaining, we're talking about taking a 1.3 million hit to athletics budget.

Imagine the hit, if we start losing the bodies in the seat...

Ala, Vandy,GA...teams like this average about 3,000 per game. UT averages 10,000.

We played 16 home games this year.

Attendance : 3000 at $10 a ticket times 16 games = 480,000
Attendance : 10000 at $10 a ticket times 16 games = 1,665,920

those numbers for two years would be an even bigger 'hit"

Last edited:
what he can do is bring someone in and eye them for her replacement, it will retain the current recruiting class and if need be, mid-season next year....can her!!!

absolutely! bring in the replacement and get them involved with these top recruits now!

Dean needs to be canned first, imvho

Waiting another year is only going to make things worse.

Though I can offer no valid argument, they are still going to wait.

Not too long ago, the Lady Vols took being given a No. 2 spot in the tournament as a personal insult. Anybody remember that?

Now, we debate them deserving a No. 5.

Last edited:
Inagine the hit, if we start losing the bodies in the seat...

Ala, Vandy,GA...teams like this average about 3,000 per game. UT averages 10,000.

We played 16 home games this year.

Attendance : 3000 at $10 a ticket times 16 games = 480,000
Attendance : 10000 at $10 a ticket times 16 games = 1,665,920

those numbers for two years would be an even bigger 'hit"

Already started losing bodies in the seats. Average per game was 9,184 this year, down from 11,390 when Holly took over. And while those are the raw numbers, no idea how many of those are premium sets with a cost MUCH higher then the $10.00 figure you're using.

You're right, attendance is something to consider.

Holly Warlick probably needs to either win the SEC or get to the Final Four next year to save her job

There are probably 50 coaches who'd coach UT for the same money Warlick is getting and be significantly better.

A lot of successful coaches would be happy to make the salary Holly makes. Let's be honest, in the right hands, Tennessee is a recruiting magnet. We have the number one class coming in, however, they will need to be encouraged, developed, motivated and coached. Let's be real Holly lacks all those skill sets.

Holly can't make these girls hit the open shots, but damn, she is responsible for them knowing how to get open and to work as a cohesive unit on offense as well as defense...

The Louisville team had numerous breakaways for easy baskets...Jackson has no business trying to be the offense....

The LVs looked completely out of position too many times this season....And that is on coaching. This final comedy was a capsulation of this lousy season, and her lack of head coaching abilities..

She is a disaster of a head coach....

Holly can't make these girls hit the open shots, but damn, she is responsible for them knowing how to get open and to work as a cohesive unit on offense as well as defense...

The Louisville team had numerous breakaways for easy baskets...Jackson has no business trying to be the offense....

Meme got the ball with a shot-clock burning down.
She GOT those feeds from DD.

What do you do when you get a pass, from your scorer, with under 5-6 on the shot clock...You shoot!

I don't fault MeeJay. She knows she is not a designated shooter. But when you get the ball deep in the clock, you have to hoist something!

Meme got the ball with a shot-clock burning down.
She GOT those feeds from DD.

What do you do when you get a pass, from your scorer, with under 5-6 on the shot clock...You shoot!

I don't fault MeeJay. She knows she is not a designated shooter. But when you get the ball deep in the clock, you have to hoist something!

She was also wide open. Not a defender in sight. Given that she's the last person on the court they will guard, one would think that she would hit the gym and work on that shot so she can make opposing teams pay for not respecting her. Instead, she's like a poor man's version of Andraya Carter. "Hey Coach! I jump up and down a lot and wave my arms. I'm a defensive stopper, just as long as the other player isn't very good! I love defense when playing against cupcakes!"

Meme was 1/6 and missed both FTs. Three points. And those were the only bench points all night. Except for Jaime, it was an abysmal offensive performance.

She was also wide open. Not a defender in sight. Given that she's the last person on the court they will guard, one would think that she would hit the gym and work on that shot so she can make opposing teams pay for not respecting her. Instead, she's like a poor man's version of Andraya Carter. "Hey Coach! I jump up and down a lot and wave my arms. I'm a defensive stopper, just as long as the other player isn't very good! I love defense when playing against cupcakes!"

Meme was ready to work the entire summer on her game.
She had a summer coach lined up and was denied.
I don't fault Meme.
She wanted to get better.

as it is, she is exactly what she was last year...No off-season growth.
That is not her fault.

VN Store

Back