Josh Malone on the QB race and receivers

Why was I thinking that Spurrier rotated someone in with Wuerffel? Or was it the year after he did the 2 qb system?

I try to forget about Meyer's years there.. scumbag..

Spurrier did with Noah Brindise and Doug Johnson. Was an actual 2 QB system (unlike Leak and Tebow...Leak got the vast majority of snaps) that was highly successful that season. Stopped short of a championship tho.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh, definately, yes I noticed that exact same thing. Almost as if he had a premonition

giphy.gif

Why was I thinking that Spurrier rotated someone in with Wuerffel? Or was it the year after he did the 2 qb system?

I try to forget about Meyer's years there.. scumbag..

He did in 1994. Wuerffel split time with Terry Dean

He did in 1994. Wuerffel split time with Terry Dean

Split time with him in 93...when Wuerffel was a freshman. Wuerffel always seemed to be out there when it was most important. After the 6th game in 94, Dean rarely left the bench.

Spurrier did with Noah Brindise and Doug Johnson. Was an actual 2 QB system (unlike Leak and Tebow...Leak got the vast majority of snaps) that was highly successful that season. Stopped short of a championship tho.

Did the same thing with Jesse Palmer and Doug Johnson in 1998.....alternated snaps vs Tennessee that year.

Did the same thing with Jesse Palmer and Doug Johnson in 1998.....alternated snaps vs Tennessee that year.

He was in full "It's me, not my QB" mode by then. He won his only title letting his QB (Wuerffel) run his system without fear of getting yanked. A true 2 QB system has never won a modern day title.

He was in full "It's me, not my QB" mode by then. He won his only title letting his QB (Wuerffel) run his system without fear of getting yanked. A true 2 QB system has never won a modern day title.

Completely agree. Pick your guy and stick with him until he shows you he's not your guy anymore, then give the other one a shot. It was bizarre watching Spurrier literally alternate each play with those two. They kinda lit us up but, as you correctly stated, nothing came of it in the end...as nothing ever has trying to play two QBs.

Last edited:
Mark (Butt Fumble) Sanchez only played one season at USC. And it showed in the pros.

But he started games. Another USC product, Matt Cassell never started a game yet had a NFL career better than many who did.

More like Joe Flacco vs Colin Kaepernick.

That is who Dormady and Guarantano remind me of respectively. I believe both play this season and given their differing skill sets they will work well together.

I think we'll make a 2 QB system actually work.

Mark my words. We will not be running two QBs after week 2.

VN Store

Back