Kentucky Officially Offering Dan Hurley

From what I’m hearing, UK is supposed to have the largest annual NIL pool for basketball, in the country. That is the pot sweetener along with a top end salary to whoever they offer.

Be one of the highest paid coaches with the highest NIL budget. Would be hard to pass up.
That's rather contrary to the recent articles about the issues with NIL at KY.

Sometimes it's about more than simply money. A successful coach making $4-6 mil in a place where they are revered and their family is settled and happy is already set for many lifetimes. If I'm UConn, I'm sure as hell not even thinking about matching any offer, because the bottom line is that Kevin Ollie won a championship there not so long ago, so it isn't as if Hurley resuscitated a dead program.

Guys like Hurley, Drew, Underwood, Pearl, and even Oats are doing really well in places they can stay as long as they coach, and without nearly the pressure and spotlight they would have to deal with 24-7-365 in Lexington. Drew seems to be very happy in Waco, but the two wild cards to me are Oats and Pearl, both crazy enough to jump into that frying pan.
I want Pearl back when Barnes retires.

I don’t think it's a reflection on the Kentucky job; it's merely more evidence of how the coaching profession has changed over the last 15-20 years. Previously, if you wanted to earn life-changing money, you had to be at one of the elite jobs. Nowadays, everyone is making millions per year. If Bill Self were to retire this year, I believe Kansas would be facing the same challenge in finding a suitable replacement, or at least what their fans would consider suitable.

In fairness, Kansas fans and media don't have the same negative perception as UK fans and media. Cal, for all his faults, was respected within the coaching community.

To your point, given the resource, money, NIL, and talent parity in college basketball, UK is a tough sell to established successful coaches.

Hurley isn’t leaving the Northeast. His wife is a Jersey girl, Lexington or anywhere in the South is not going to happen. Said as much himself on Cowherd
Nearly 40 years ago I was contacted about an opportunity up north, my wife was a hard no, but I ask her what would make it OK, she gave me a list of demands, I took those added 15% which now made it a stupid number..... we moved to Indiana.

Reactions: VolNExile
In fairness, Kansas fans and media don't have the same negative perception as UK fans and media. Cal, for all his faults, was respected within the coaching community.

To your point, given the resource, money, NIL, and talent parity in college basketball, UK is a tough sell to established successful coaches.

True, Barnes always speaks very highly of Cal.

I honestly don't get why a successful coach with a solid, consistent P4 program whose family is happy and is beloved by the fan base would have any desire right now to walk into that cauldron in today's CBB environment. They say money talks, but if you're already making enough for a few lifetimes, that extra money is a lot less attractive when you're on the hot seat after a couple of sweet 16 finishes.

That's rather contrary to the recent articles about the issues with NIL at KY.
This is coming from a surgeon who donates a pretty good amount to the UK collective. They have plans to be the highest NIL for basketball in the country.
Not saying who is correct. Just relaying what I was told.

True, Barnes always speaks very highly of Cal.

I honestly don't get why a successful coach with a solid, consistent P4 program whose family is happy and is beloved by the fan base would have any desire right now to walk into that cauldron in today's CBB environment. They say money talks, but if you're already making enough for a few lifetimes, that extra money is a lot less attractive when you're on the hot seat after a couple of sweet 16 finishes.

Now, add in into the equation that largest measure of success is notoriously known and understood as a crapshoot. Oh and by the way, that crapshoot is becoming more firesome every year as the parity in college basketball increases.

UK fans can (rightfully) criticize Cal's X's and O's, but he was a master of roster management. When college sports is trending towards roster management being a much bigger part of the job, it is crazy that they would want to run him out of town. The talent he brought into Lexington was insane and ensured that UK would never be out of game.

Now, add in into the equation that largest measure of success is notoriously known and understood as a crapshoot. Oh and by the way, that crapshoot is becoming more firesome every year as the parity in college basketball increases.

UK fans can (rightfully) criticize Cal's X's and O's, but he was a master of roster management. When college sports is trending towards roster management being a much bigger part of the job, it is crazy that they would want to run him out of town. The talent he brought into Lexington was insane and ensured that UK would never be out of game.

No doubt, but starting Wagner all year but not Sheppard and Dillingham, long after it was clear that those two were the engine of that team along with Reeves, was unforgivable. Cal always said his top priority was getting kids to the pros, and for awhile it worked when the talent difference was huge, but as it leveled out keeping promises to top recruits (Wagner) that were hurting the team caught up with him, and he didn't have the X's and O's savvy to make up for it.

Reactions: PKT_VOL
This UK coaching search is reminding a little of the coach searches UT went through for FB...the guys they are picking from have to be WAAAAAY down Barnharts list.

This UK coaching search is reminding a little of the coach searches UT went through for FB...the guys they are picking from have to be WAAAAAY down Barnharts list.
It’s reminding me of when Bama got told no a couple of times so they backed up multiple brinks trucks to get Saban. My own version of BVS I guess

Reactions: IndianaVol
No doubt, but starting Wagner all year but not Sheppard and Dillingham, long after it was clear that those two were the engine of that team along with Reeves, was unforgivable. Cal always said his top priority was getting kids to the pros, and for awhile it worked when the talent difference was huge, but as it leveled out keeping promises to top recruits (Wagner) that were hurting the team caught up with him, and he didn't have the X's and O's savvy to make up for it.

Oh, I totally agree. It was completely criminal not to start and give the most minutes to Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves.

If he did that, even just during thr postseason, their season is completely different.

Reactions: sami
You heard it here first, by JWF. Most of the respondents were "Why would he leave Uconn?" "Uconn has yada yada yada". I said, "Get back to me in 3 days". Well it only took 2 . Sometimes you just have to say, "I told you so". It's a rough place in here.
How’s the “I told you so” thing working out?

You heard it here first, by JWF. Most of the respondents were "Why would he leave Uconn?" "Uconn has yada yada yada". I said, "Get back to me in 3 days". Well it only took 2 . Sometimes you just have to say, "I told you so". It's a rough place in here.
Well well well. Someone got a little too “I told you so” excited. Thank God Hurley isn’t going to UK though!

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back