Kentucky Officially Offering Dan Hurley

UK thinks they can get whoever they want lol

They are doing the search right. Going after the biggest whale in the game and that is Hurley. If he says no, on to the next one.

I would think Donovan, Drew, Underwood, and even someone like Sampson would get looks. Sampson lowkey would scare me at UK
Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 10.17.58 AM.png

Reactions: Volfan1000
Remember Texas offered Saban tons of money. He stayed at Bama. Money doesn’t buy everything.
Difference is Bama could match anything Texas offered. UConn may not be able to match UK.

Also, Saban closer to retirement, whereas Hurley still has a good 1-2 decades left.

Reactions: Gandalf
Only know rough details as of now, but the begging salary starts at $11,000,000 per year and goes up from there. The offer will be for a 5-7 year deal. Will he take it? Who knows, but UK is going to swing for the fences. Given the financial woes UCONN is in with virtually a fcs football program. Their resources are limited. Sources say the highest that UCONN could counter would be $8,000,000.

Swinging for the fences? So like we did with our women's BB hire?

:eek::cool:

Kentucky is the BB equivalent of Texas and Texas A&M in football--absurd with the money they throw around wanting to win more college games. Over the top. The poster programs for excess.

Hopefully UConn will match, like to see Hurley stay put and Kentucky in the dumps for a few years.

Sometimes it's about more than simply money. A successful coach making $4-6 mil in a place where they are revered and their family is settled and happy is already set for many lifetimes. If I'm UConn, I'm sure as hell not even thinking about matching any offer, because the bottom line is that Kevin Ollie won a championship there not so long ago, so it isn't as if Hurley resuscitated a dead program.

Guys like Hurley, Drew, Underwood, Pearl, and even Oats are doing really well in places they can stay as long as they coach, and without nearly the pressure and spotlight they would have to deal with 24-7-365 in Lexington. Drew seems to be very happy in Waco, but the two wild cards to me are Oats and Pearl, both crazy enough to jump into that frying pan.

I figure, more than the money, the best reason to go to KY would be for increased chances to win a national championship. So...

1) any coach who's already in a place where he has the resources and recruiting to compete for a NC would have no motive to take the job other than the money.

2) that means KY has to go after a coach who is currently some place where he can't compete to his potential.

3) which likely means hiring an up-and-comer, or from out of the pro ranks.

Nevertheless, Kentucky will likely come out of this with a shiny new coach of impressive pedigree (but only because this is a fallen world). 😉

Reactions: Pennheel
Scott Drew with the resources that Kentucky has would be a scary coach in the SEC. He put Baylor on the map as a program. I look forward to seeing whoever takes the job.

Hurley isn’t leaving the Northeast. His wife is a Jersey girl, Lexington or anywhere in the South is not going to happen. Said as much himself on Cowherd
exactly and he is right where he and his family want to be. Lived in the northeast and very loyal to family in that area. Plus his dad etc.

From what I’m hearing, UK is supposed to have the largest annual NIL pool for basketball, in the country. That is the pot sweetener along with a top end salary to whoever they offer.

Be one of the highest paid coaches with the highest NIL budget. Would be hard to pass up.

Sometimes it's about more than simply money. A successful coach making $4-6 mil in a place where they are revered and their family is settled and happy is already set for many lifetimes. If I'm UConn, I'm sure as hell not even thinking about matching any offer, because the bottom line is that Kevin Ollie won a championship there not so long ago, so it isn't as if Hurley resuscitated a dead program.

Guys like Hurley, Drew, Underwood, Pearl, and even Oats are doing really well in places they can stay as long as they coach, and without nearly the pressure and spotlight they would have to deal with 24-7-365 in Lexington. Drew seems to be very happy in Waco, but the two wild cards to me are Oats and Pearl, both crazy enough to jump into that frying pan.

I agree with you that Hurley is not going anywhere, but straight up man-if anyone if offering to double (or more) your salary as a coach, then you at least listen to them.

With that much coin on the table, most wives I know would swallow their pride no matter how much they didn't want to move somewhere.

Reactions: Wireless1
From what I’m hearing, UK is supposed to have the largest annual NIL pool for basketball, in the country. That is the pot sweetener along with a top end salary to whoever they offer.

Be one of the highest paid coaches with the highest NIL budget. Would be hard to pass up.

And the first stumble he takes they’ll want his head.

No thanks.

Reactions: VolNExile
And the first stumble he takes they’ll want his head.

No thanks.

The coaches that are the best, think they are the best and willing to prove it. Yes the fan base are idiots but just improving in the NCAA tournament a few years in a row gives the coach a nice extension and larger buy out.

The coaches that are the best, think they are the best and willing to prove it. Yes the fan base are idiots but just improving in the NCAA tournament a few years in a row gives the coach a nice extension and larger buy out.

They want a title yesterday. Simply improving will get him hated and axed. He should stay where he is.

Of course they were, and I still don't expect Hurley to take the job, but it doesn't mean it would be anything resembling a shock if he did. An offer of life changing money can make pretty much anyone do something they might not have been inclined to do.
$20 is $20.

Reactions: Kdbnab1
I’m thoroughly enjoying the meltdown that a lot of posters are having on Rupp Rafters about Scott Drew being potentially hired.
Really like Drew. If Barnes left, he'd be my first call. Our luck is UK takes him as a fall back and Barnes losing his roster decides to pull a Saban and retire leaving us in no man's land.

VN Store

Back