Kentucky Officially Offering Dan Hurley

This guy sounds like the government the way he wants to spend someone else's money. Why not $20 mil? Just dig deeper.

If this is the case, mitch really needs to dig deep and find a way to get Hurley 13m, even if that means adding some tournament incentives to make that 13m.

I know going from 11 to 13 (or 14) mil isn't cheap and it's got to come from somewhere.. but if Hurley turns our to be THE guy, he's going to drive revenue to cover that salary, while also keeping him from a team that could very well overtake UK in titles.

Offer 13m, figure it out later. You just saved 33mil with Cal leaving.

I'm trying to figure out why UK fans think Drew is a bad hire. 😂😂🤷
He is a decent coach. I think he won in the covid year. I would think Kentucky could do better. But then again Kentucky is not what it used to be. Is he a better coach than Cal?

He is a decent coach. I think he won in the covid year. I would think Kentucky could do better. But then again Kentucky is not what it used to be. Is he a better coach than Cal?
Is he better than Cal. A lot of KY fans think anyone is better than Cal 🤣

In 2021, Baylor defeated Hartford, Wisconsin, Villanova, and Arkansas to reach their first Final Four since 1950 where they defeated the in-state Houston Cougars,to reach the NCAA championship.
They smoked Gonzaga, winning their first title. Finished with 27 wins I believe.
I mean that's a pretty good run just three years ago.

Is 8 million not enough to stay where you just won back to back nationals?
This is what gets me. Its not like he is making chump change. an extra three million isn't going to be the difference in him retiring in comfort, or being able to pass money on to his kids.

if he is smart he could retire after one year's salary and live better than most Americans. serve out a 4 year contract and you are in the top percentile in the country regardless.

Is he better than Cal. A lot of KY fans think anyone is better than Cal 🤣

In 2021, Baylor defeated Hartford, Wisconsin, Villanova, and Arkansas to reach their first Final Four since 1950 where they defeated the in-state Houston Cougars,to reach the NCAA championship.
They smoked Gonzaga, winning their first title. Finished with 27 wins I believe.
I mean that's a pretty good run just three years ago.
Baylor also finished 2019-20 ranked 5th in the AP poll and would have probably been a 1 seed that season. If COVID didn’t end that season prematurely then he was in line for a deep run prior to the championship season. 5 Sweet 16s, 3 Elite 8s, and a national championship is a darn good résumé. Especially considering he took over a program that had not even made a NCAAT 15 years prior to him taking over. He has done an incredible job building Baylor into one of the top programs in the country. Any school would be lucky to have him.

Kentucky striking out on everybody. You hate to see it.
I think it’s gonna force them to go back to Oats. We will see. I think if they pay the full buyout and actually make an offer he’d go. I’m not sure Mitch wants anything to do with him.
Otzelberger Could be the guy, and he’s pretty good.

I think it’s gonna force them to go back to Oats. We will see. I think if they pay the full buyout and actually make an offer he’d go. I’m not sure Mitch wants anything to do with him.
Doubt Otzelberger would bite.

Alabama's Nate Oats also released a statement that he is not interested. Names like Auburn's Bruce Pearl, Illinois' Brad Underwood, Xavier's Sean Miller, Florida's Todd Golden, Iowa State's T.J. Otzelberger and BYU's Mark Pope would appear to emerge as the next tier.

Took a quick look at the UK board last night, and a lot of them were resigned to going after Golden, and actually preferring him to Drew. Pearl and Underwood are both making very nice livings and have strong top 15 programs in places they could stay the rest of their careers - to leave that for the frying pan of UK, with the deranged fan base and unrealistic expectations, for some more money, is to me insane. Unless it's more about loving the challenge, I guess.

Oats is sleazy enough - He would go for that

He has already turned down the job

I don’t think it's a reflection on the Kentucky job; it's merely more evidence of how the coaching profession has changed over the last 15-20 years. Previously, if you wanted to earn life-changing money, you had to be at one of the elite jobs. Nowadays, everyone is making millions per year. If Bill Self were to retire this year, I believe Kansas would be facing the same challenge in finding a suitable replacement, or at least what their fans would consider suitable.

I don’t think it's a reflection on the Kentucky job; it's merely more evidence of how the coaching profession has changed over the last 15-20 years. Previously, if you wanted to earn life-changing money, you had to be at one of the elite jobs. Nowadays, everyone is making millions per year. If Bill Self were to retire this year, I believe Kansas would be facing the same challenge in finding a suitable replacement, or at least what their fans would consider suitable.
Kentucky still has more resources than anybody else, especially Auburn, Baylor or Alabama. I think it’s a reflection on what Kentucky’s roster looks like right now. There will be nothing left after the draft and guys transferring. That coupled with what Kentucky fans expect would make year one a **** show. Idk how many coaches are willing to take the job not knowing if they could even survive the first year lol

He has already turned down the job
not really. He wasn’t offered. If they have a contract and money on front of him he would sing a different tune. He did one of the typical coaching search things and proactively rejected it. It’s easy to turn down jobs you weren’t offered. I don’t think Mitch wants him due to the Miller stuff last year, but I think it’s going to be out of his hands now.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back