Kevin Sumlin

Sumlin is about to get fired. I think he's done well at A&M. Texas A&M is one of the most historically overrated programs in all of college football and since they've joined the SEC, they claim to be like Alabama. Give me a break, it's Texas A&M we're talking about.

Historically the little brother to Texas.

Sumlin would do well at UT. A really good coach. A players coach. Young. Some say he has underachieved at A&M. I disagree, I believe he has done about as well as any can at A&M.

Big money doesn't equate to big britches....

Sumlin would be a very solid hire at UT.....

Why the fascination with a guy who can't win with all the talent in TX (especially when fake UT is down)?

He can't keep a decent QB from transferring away from the program at A&M, much less develop QB talent that he has been able to keep. Without that basket case, Johnny Football, Sumlin would have already been fired.

Reactions: 1 person
If you get canned from a school for underachieving that has everything you need to win, then you shouldn’t be hired by another school like UT that has everything you need to win and expect different results.

Sure you can. It's a fresh start for a seasoned coach at a new program with an easier route to success....

To be honest they aren't that high in the pecking order in Texas. Probably 3rd at best and that is pushing it.

But the last 5 recruiting cycles, '13-'17, Sumlin has recruited at a higher level than any other school in Texas, averaging 12th ranked over that period. Like Butch, he seems to have a very high transfer rate, especially among QBs.

Sumlin is about to get fired. I think he's done well at A&M. Texas A&M is one of the most historically overrated programs in all of college football and since they've joined the SEC, they claim to be like Alabama. Give me a break, it's Texas A&M we're talking about.

Sumlin would do well at UT. A really good coach. A players coach. Young. Some say he has underachieved at A&M. I disagree, I believe he has done about as well as any can at A&M.

Are you serious? What coach have you been watching? Dude gave up a 44-10 lead against 5-5 UCLA. He loses multiple games each year he shouldn't. His clock management sucks. He makes inexplicable in-game management decisions. He's a conference USA coach in the SEC West.

In short, he's mediocre. My opinion is that he sucks. You'd be 7-5 to 8-4 every year.

He's the type of coach who Miss State or Kentucky usually hires.

Also, A&M is not the red-headed step child. They have better facilities than Texas and just as much money. The problem is the decision makers. They have to show they are committed to winning.

Hmm... sounds like UT's current situation.

Sumlin’s buyout would make him a great fallback option if we struck out on a few of our top options. Especially if we are considering a batch of Up and comers.

We could essentially hire Sumlin for 500K for first two seasons and allow A&M to pay 4-5 Million. That way we aren’t on the hook for a big liability

Very similar to the Charlie Strong contract at USF.

Kevin Sumlin is 53 years old - not exactly "young." He is worth a look if the candidate pool ends up not being that solid. He will end up with a decent job somewhere. A number of good coaches have failed at Texas A&M - not sure exactly why.

I would group Sumlin in the "2nd Tier" range with names like Les Miles, Matt Campbell, Venables, and Schiano. He can recruit off the charts, but not great at developing.......kinda like Butch. Sumlin is a better coach overall than Butch tho, so it would be an upgrade. We can do better than a fired coach tho. Tennessee should be able to offer Jimbo Fisher whatever it takes to get him here INSTEAD of Texas A&M. So if we can't get Fisher, then why should we try to get the guy getting fired and replaced by Fisher? We don't hafta settle. Sumlin would be settling. Good 2nd Tier coach, but we need a 1st Tier.

Reactions: 1 person
Sumlin is a Tier 3 coach. He's the exact same coach as Butch. Just no cheesy sayings - he throws his players under the bus instead and chews gum.

I would group Sumlin in the "2nd Tier" range with names like Les Miles, Matt Campbell, Venables, and Schiano. He can recruit off the charts, but not great at developing.......kinda like Butch. Sumlin is a better coach overall than Butch tho, so it would be an upgrade. We can do better than a fired coach tho. Tennessee should be able to offer Jimbo Fisher whatever it takes to get him here INSTEAD of Texas A&M. So if we can't get Fisher, then why should we try to get the guy getting fired and replaced by Fisher? We don't hafta settle. Sumlin would be settling. Good 2nd Tier coach, but we need a 1st Tier.

I would say Tier 1 would be Fisher, Petersen, Miles, Gundy. Pelini. Tier 2 should be Fuente, Patterson, Mullen, Frost, Sumlin and Brohm. Tier 3 should be Norvell, Mora, Campbell, Doeren, Cutcliff--should've just kept Butch.

VN Store

Back