Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Names Names Names...........................

How many of you reacted to South Carolina hiring Staley said, "OH My that was a Great Hire.....she will take that storied Program to the Top!?"

We ALL have opinions...........and yes I know what they are like. Unfortunately it will take a few years to know!

Oregon State and Syracuse coaches were mentioned by Eric Cain on his Tuesday edition of the Locked On Vols podcast on You Tube.

White has a history with the Syracuse head coach.
Oregon St. is one I've been thinking. Like has been mentioned, the fact that he didn't let Harper have one more year makes me think he's swinging big and has a good feel for who he can get. Oregon St. is in a bad spot with the realignment. This would be a win for him. Long history of winning at a program that doesn't have our resources. There's a lot to like.

This program is on rocky ground and uncharted waters at this time and much like the Rick Barnes hire(or so a lot of us thought) you better get a veteran coach to keep this program stabilized and forget taking a chance on an up and comer. I don’t think this program has the luxury of taking a chance right now, because if we “miss” again, it could be a long climb back to the top. The distance from the top to the bottom in the women’s game is drastically different in the women’s game.
Of course this is my opinion and it really doesn’t mean much.😁

That’s all fair, as far as I’m concerned. We…no…better yet, competent AD’s know and I believe we have one of those.

It's possible the AD has his coach in mind now and all will be revealed soon. It won't be Dawn, Kim, Vic, Wes, Niele, and probably not Rueck, Gottlieb, Close for different reasons. Maybe Mitchell comes out of retirement? He wasn't brought back to KY but if he wants to coach again, this is an opening. Long shot but not out of the question.

Freese is damaged goods at this point and she will finish her career at MD as a mid range B10 program. Coach Yo is a likeable person who has done wonders at OM but wouldn't likely move the program forward. I too feel that Lawson, despite being a strong family member, wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

This hire will likely be an up and coming mid major or a longtime top assistant but less than 24 hours ago I thought Harper was safe and people here were reading too much into the silence on X and an article being published.

I respectfully disagree. Did we not just observe the Kentucky search?
In some ways, we are mixing personal feelings with business. You have to separate the two. Tennessee is a once in a lifetime job opportunity for 98% of coaches period. The AD will have options. Big names will interview. Take a step back and just be open minded. This is a top 3 job in WBB.

The last two seasons for Walz haven’t been the best. I think we should move past him at this time. They lost first round this year.
Not endorsing Walz myself. Better place to have success…Louisville or Tennessee?

IMO, GCU is a sleeping giant in the college athletics world.
So does GCU play with a square ball? Play half-court or six-on-six? Play fifteen minutes games?

The bottom teams in the SEC play exactly under the same rules as SC. So what's the difference? Are all those coaches with bottom tier teams terrible? Or does SC just have a stocked roster who could beat those teams handily even if you swapped coaches and gave each team a week to prepare?

There are valid reasons to argue that elevating a smaller program coach to throw major leagues wouldn't be advisable. But basketball isn't rocket science. Having a career winning percentage of .846 is being in rarified air.

Ability to recruit at a high level and sustain that success is the biggest challenge these days. But coaching is coaching. If you can connect with and motivate players and have good preparation and game strategy, you can coach.

So does GCU play with a square ball? Play half-court or six-on-six? Play fifteen minutes games?

The bottom teams in the SEC play exactly under the same rules as SC. So what's the difference? Are all those coaches with bottom tier teams terrible? Or does SC just have a stocked roster who could beat those teams handily even if you swapped coaches and gave each team a week to prepare?

There are valid reasons to argue that elevating a smaller program coach to throw major leagues wouldn't be advisable. But basketball isn't rocket science. Having a career winning percentage of .846 is being in rarified air.

Ability to recruit at a high level and sustain that success is the biggest challenge these days. But coaching is coaching. If you can connect with and motivate players and have good preparation and game strategy, you can coach.
I’m confused? Are you knocking my post or agreeing with it? What does South Carolina or the SEC have to do with me thinking Grand Canyon university will continue to grow in athletics?
My post is inferring that I think Grand Canyon is on their way to being a very solid player in college basketball, baseball(which they already are) and softball.
Probably track and field, Tennis, golf...

Names Names Names...........................

How many of you reacted to South Carolina hiring Staley said, "OH My that was a Great Hire.....she will take that storied Program to the Top!?"

We ALL have opinions...........and yes I know what they are like. Unfortunately it will take a few years to know!

Well, she did win six national championships at Temple while smoking Summitt and Auriemma. Everybody knew she was a home run hire!

Name the college coaches with at least ten years' experience with a win percentage of ,846 or above.

It's a very short list, and the names are very familiar.

How big a program is Temple?
Are you advocating for Molly Miller?
Do you want Danny White to hire Diane Richardson?
Where are we going with all of this?

Reactions: brittannica
I’m confused? Are you knocking my post or agreeing with it? What does South Carolina or the SEC have to do with me thinking Grand Canyon university will continue to grow in athletics?
My post is inferring that I think Grand Canyon is on their way to being a very solid player in college basketball, baseball(which they already are) and softball.
Probably track and field, Tennis, golf...

Sorry, I misread sarcasm into your post. Apologies.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Are you advocating for Molly Miller?
Do you want Danny White to hire Diane Richardson?
Where are we going with all of this?

Not at all. I was just defending successful coaches at smaller programs from the attacks of those who scorn their ability as though they don't know what they're doing and that their coaching methods can't translate to larger programs.

I respectfully disagree. Did we not just observe the Kentucky search?
In some ways, we are mixing personal feelings with business. You have to separate the two. Tennessee is a once in a lifetime job opportunity for 98% of coaches period. The AD will have options. Big names will interview. Take a step back and just be open minded. This is a top 3 job in WBB.
It used to be for sure. I truly believe that when DW makes his choice, it will be once again. I'm an old timer and I honestly miss the days gone by of playing for a Natty nearly every year. LV Tree hires have sent this once great program to the realm of mediocrity. what gets me is that some posters on here are willing to accept this. Pat would never accept mediocrity. Pat was a winner and so should the new coach be as well.

GO LADY VOLS!!!!

VN Store

Back