Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

What do you make of the 6 previous seasons where she won the Conference Championship ( either regular season or Tournament ) all six years,was the Conference Coach of the year 4 times and National Coach of the year once as well as winning the Division 11 National Championship.....guess that is not worth mentioning to you huh .
I mentioned it in a previous post…I said she did win in Division 2 just like Mark Campbell at Union who has won his conference so many years in a row. Have we interviewed him? The new Chattanooga coach won consistently at the Division 2 level? Did we interview her? There is a vast difference between sustained winning in D1 and D2

Who is to say Tennessee does not get their top candidate? I’m trying to see where has any credible source reported any coach is out of the running. Don’t post local journalists from other schools as credible sources. DW and the administration could be exactly where they expected to be and in the process of finalizing the deal. The next coach contract will look a lot different than the last one did. And the news that was dropped last night about one of the Big 3 is not some type of pipe dream. If the job is good enough for a coach with that resume, once things start to surface it will eliminate a lot of the false information that is circulated by journalists and fanatics.

Reactions: creativevol
Despite all those setbacks and a top five strength of schedule, consistently finishing 3rd in a conference with South Carolina and LSU with two Sweet Sixteen appearances in four years is not a 'poor' performance.
If it had happened at Florida or several other SEC school it would be considered fabulous. At Tennessee it just gets you fired that is what Pat left for any coach following.

Despite all those setbacks and a top five strength of schedule, consistently finishing 3rd in a conference with South Carolina and LSU with two Sweet Sixteen appearances in four years is not a 'poor' performance.
It’s mediocre. Settling for log jams at 3rd place while conceding first and second is unacceptable

I mentioned it in a previous post…I said she did win in Division 2 just like Mark Campbell at Union who has won his conference so many years in a row. Have we interviewed him? The new Chattanooga coach won consistently at the Division 2 level? Did we interview her? There is a vast difference between sustained winning in D1 and D2
Could be but there is definitely a trend in winning championships whether it be Division 11 ,high school ,the top Division ,Division 5 ,whatever. Winning Championships courses thru her veins.

Kellie didn't inherit a program that hadn't made an NCAA tournament in 27 years and not had a 20 win season in 8 years.
Are we talking about the program or making existing players better? Your original comment was that Caldwell made the previous coach’s players better. I said so did Kellie. I wasn’t in favor of keeping Kellie either, so yeah I agree with you that Kellie was given a better situation. If we throw out random comments, here’s one: Kellie won games in the NCAA tourney that your new coach hasn’t.

Reactions: brittannica
Basketball is the same just with less talented players. The problem with hiring coaches like this is getting elite players to buy in and sign with them. Most of those players are looking for an established coach with a winning record at the highest level.

All I know is DW needs to let us all know who the next Lady Vols coach is and soon. He has the baseball team so distracted they're losing to Auburn. Pretty sure I saw Burke in the dugout, on his phone, refreshing VN for the latest rumors. We can't go on like this!
Do we want a solution or a different problem?
From DW, I want action,, not reaction
What does how many years a person been a head coach really matters if they can COACH? Simplistic thinking is not erasing the capabilities of this coach if indeed the rumors are true. 85-90% of the reviews on Twitter outside of the fanatics have been very positive. DW knows this too.
There is argument for both, longevity and instant success...One gives you insight and one gives you new-sight...I believe the best mix in a staff, incorporates both...But at the head of my ship I want the one of the two who discern grain from chaff
I think it’s pretty obvious that nobody has a clue what’s going on in this coaching search. Lot of idiots on this website!
surely you jest,,,,,
1712414925271.png
By the time this search is done y'all will have tried on more coaches than Imelda Marcos tried on shoes.

That is not so bad, but the way people fight over each rumor as if it is true is hilarious.
Best quote of the thread so far

I think that if you want to get to a higher level, you better hire a coach that’s been to a higher level than Harper. Otherwise what was the purpose in the change..

And from what I’ve been told, I believe wholeheartedly that we’ve offered multiple coaches and have been turned down multiple times. I don’t know who directly, but once we see who’s hired, apparently, that becomes clear (and I don’t even know that DW has picked yet).
such shortsidedness is why we are in this dilema
Such TN laws such as "Don't hire outside of the Summitt tree"

Let's try something different in hopes of a different outcome

And if something is said over and over, people will start to believe it.
Eureka !

Could be but there is definitely a trend in winning championships whether it be Division 11 ,high school ,the top Division ,Division 5 ,whatever. Winning Championships courses thru her veins.
Look up Mark Campbell at Union’s record. He won at NAIA level and Division 2 level. Did we interview him? You’re right winning can carry to other levels for sure, but winning consistently at the D1 level is much harder. I said she could be the next greatest coach out there but there just isn’t that much to go off of on this level.

Are we talking about the program or making existing players better? Your original comment was that Caldwell made the previous coach’s players better. I said so did Kellie. I wasn’t in favor of keeping Kellie either, so yeah I agree with you that Kellie was given a better situation. If we throw out random comments, here’s one: Kellie won games in the NCAA tourney that your new coach hasn’t.
I was just trying to point out that Stephens got a lot out of a group of girls that had gotten used to not accomplishing anything.

Basketball is the same just with less talented players. The problem with hiring coaches like this is getting elite players to buy in and sign with them. Most of those players are looking for an established coach with a winning record at the highest level.
And that is the part about sustainability. We don’t know how she can even recruit at this level bc it’s been one year. Kellie’s years kept getting worse bc of lack of recruiting. It wasn’t sustainable. Caldwell might very well be the next Dawn, but it’s just an extremely risky hire at this point in our program.

Last edited:
And that is the part about sustainability. We don’t know how she can even recruit at this level bc it’s been one year. Kellie’s years kept getting worse bc of lack of recruiting. It wasn’t sustainable. Caldwell might very well be the next Dawn, but it’s just an extremely risky higher at this point in our program.
I don't think she could unless she had a pile of money as a backup. Exactly why I doubt DW wants to walk out on the limb.

I was just trying to point out that Stephens got a lot out of a group of girls that had gotten used to not accomplishing anything.
I get that. She may be the next best thing ever. We just haven’t seen her sustain it for any period of time at this level. That’s my only reservation and if it doesn’t matter a bit to Danny, then cool.

The question is will an up and coming coach going to be able to recruit at a high enough level to compete?
A big question and a gamble with any of them. The best safe choices are probably Walz, Moore, or a little less so Gottlieb. They have been successful at another school at a high level so wouldn't be as much of a gamble.

The question is will an up and coming coach going to be able to recruit at a high enough level to compete?
On the one hand an up and comer doesn’t have years of baggage to negative recruit on, which is positive. On the other hand, it’s really hard for an up and comer to get their foot even in the door when you have Dawn, Geno, and Kim sitting in the living room with their championships. You would have to set the up and comer up with the most cutthroat recruiting assistants out there.

Kellie didn't inherit a program that hadn't made an NCAA tournament in 27 years and not had a 20 win season in 8 years.
Tbf she bullied a new conference by getting P5 transfer down players

How much was coaching and how much was skill gap?

They didn’t win the reg season did they or was it just a crazy OT conference championship game

Reactions: brittannica
Wasn’t being smart to you at all sorry if it came out that way I’m here to get along with everybody I just have lots opinions like any one else I know I get out of hand sometimes. Yes Adam’s likes to talk more than I like lol
Didn't take that way at all I Was just replaying to your question
Some posters think childish name calling GOING to get me argument with them. There some posters who are looking to argue with someone.
Best to just ignoreit anD Move on

Mudcat take post what believe
Don't care iF others like it or not.

If I thought you was being smart
I would of ignore your Post @Deebowbear
Without answering back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebowbear
NIL alleviates part of this problem.

Reactions: Volfan2012

VN Store

Back