Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

NIL alleviates part of this problem.
All of it if you have enough of it. There are plenty of players that would play for Bugs Bunny for the right amount of compensation. It won't matter who we hire if she or he has that backup were headed for success.

Usually no coach is an elite recruiter until they get a job where they can become an elite recruiter.
I can’t remember. Did Heupel recruit relatively well at UCF compared to other AAC schools? I remember there being some conversations about it on the Recruiting forum when he was hired. Maybe one of them can verify.

I guess you could look at how they recruited compared to other mid major schools like with Heupel at UCF. For Caldwell, we’d have to look at how she recruited compared to other D2 schools, which for that level does look promising.

Reactions: brittannica
And they were basically blown out by 41 points.
Really can't use that though because it was against a team with a tremendous amount more talent playing on their homecourt. Kellie and the Lady vols blew out Green Bay and that coach has been well regarded for years. Sometimes the talent level just makes it impossible even though I can agree 41 is quite a walloping.

Look up Mark Campbell at Union’s record. He won at NAIA level and Division 2 level. Did we interview him? You’re right winning can carry to other levels for sure, but winning consistently at the D1 level is much harder. I said she could be the next greatest coach out there but there just isn’t that much to go off of on this level.
I get that but no one would be a head coach anywhere if that logic were pursued to it's conclusion because everyone has to start somewhere and progress up stay even or even go down in stature.There are not many in any profession who is hired as CEO in their 1st job.

But let me say this ......I am old ,set in my ways ,recalcitrant and often spout off what is on my mind without apology these days ......am 85 ........none of us know who AD White has interviewed nor have any idea at this point who he is going to hire . He has a record /trend of hiring those who have won and/or competed for championships so I will be content with whomever he hires because he and his family know basketball. Then in a few years if that person doesn't work out I will be on the train to go a different direction.....ha !

Tbf she bullied a new conference by getting P5 transfer down players

How much was coaching and how much was skill gap?

They didn’t win the reg season did they or was it just a crazy OT conference championship game
They won the regular season conference championship and tournament championship.

She brought in 4 transfer's
1 from George Mason
2 from Mississippi State
1 from her previous School Glenville State.

Not any of the three division 1 transfer were big contributors at their previous schools and only two of the 4 transfers were major contributors this season.

All of it if you have enough of it. There are plenty of players that would play for Bugs Bunny for the right amount of compensation. It won't matter who we hire if she or he has that backup were headed for success.
We’d have to outbid by a lot in the beginning. What we offer in the first few years of recruiting can’t be comparable to SC, LSU, UConn, etc. until she gets established. If it is in the same ballpark, we’d again be swimming upstream compared to their history of success.

Really can't use that though because it was against a team with a tremendous amount more talent playing on their homecourt. Kellie and the Lady vols blew out Green Bay and that coach has been well regarded for years. Sometimes the talent level just makes it impossible even though I can agree 41 is quite a walloping.

So you want a coach who lost by 41 points to a team that generally lost to teams we want Tennessee to beat. That doesn't make sense. Had the outcome of that game been a close buzzer beater loss - then that would prove a point - but on the biggest stage the Marshall coach looked terrible.

I can’t remember. Did Heupel recruit relatively well at UCF compared to other AAC schools? I remember there being some conversations about it on the Recruiting forum when he was hired. Maybe one of them can verify.

I guess you could look at how they recruited compared to other mid major schools like with Heupel at UCF. For Caldwell, we’d have to look at how she recruited compared to other D2 schools, which for that level does look promising.
I remember people not being impressed with his recruiting even compared to other AAC schools.

Reactions: lfvol and spojo13
I get that but no one would be a head coach anywhere if that logic were pursued to it's conclusion because everyone has to start somewhere and progress up stay even or even go down in stature.There are not many in any profession who is hired as CEO in their 1st job.

But let me say this ......I am old ,set in my ways ,recalcitrant and often spout off what is on my mind without apology these days ......am 85 ........none of us know who AD White has interviewed nor have any idea at this point who he is going to hire . He has a record /trend of hiring those who have won and/or competed for championships so I will be content with whomever he hires because he and his family know basketball. Then in a few years if that person doesn't work out I will be on the train to go a different direction.....ha !
That’s a good way of looking at it! Ha! I know my opinion isn’t going to hold sway in Danny’s decision one way or another. And you are exactly right that everyone has to start somewhere. Just in my own opinion which again doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, I would feel better about the hire if she had just a little more experience at this level.

Reactions: alexvol
We’d have to outbid by a lot in the beginning. What we offer in the first few years of recruiting can’t be comparable to SC, LSU, UConn, etc. until she gets established. If it is in the same ballpark, we’d again be swimming upstream compared to their history of success.
Our best bet is to get someone at a school that has two or three nice players that like that coach and transfer. Get them here along with two of the best portal additions and try to have a big winning season. That could help you get started on the right path to recruiting.

If we are going to end up with a mid-major coach, at least get one that was competitive against the best schools and use the NCAA as the judgment. That by the way is why Harper was fired. She was fired because she could only make the sweet 16 and some of you are okay with a coach who couldn't get past the first round. SMH

Our best bet is to get someone at a school that has two or three nice players that like that coach and transfer. Get them here along with two of the best portal additions and try to have a big winning season. That could help you get started on the right path to recruiting.
this thought has merit

So you want a coach who lost by 41 points to a team that generally lost to teams we want Tennessee to beat. That doesn't make sense. Had the outcome of that game been a close buzzer beater loss - then that would prove a point - but on the biggest stage the Marshall coach looked terrible.
I don't want her specifically just saying it is not a fair a comparison of her ability with better players and having the homecourt advantage all going to the other team. She has two star players trying to compete with mostly five star players. Probably lost by to much, but it happens sometimes to a lot of teams.

I remember people not being impressed with his recruiting even compared to other AAC schools.
Yeah, I couldn’t remember if that was the case. I think him winning more and showing positive direction definitely helped him with recruiting here going into second season and now. Granted, Cornbread left us scorched earth. Would recruits take notice if the new coach doesn’t improve slightly on Kellie’s last year or does worse?

I would argue that she got something out of the players that the previous coach couldn't.

Eight years ago, deep in the woods of West Virginia, a young woman stumbled through a door at tiny Glenville State college. The school
was experiencing hard times--it had only 311 students and 3 majors---Coal Mining, Appalachia Wood Carving and Steep Hill Farming. A recent fire had destroyed much of the 3-building campus, sparing only the old barn that served as the gym for the school's women's basketball team, the only team the school could afford to support, and that one only barely. The gym had wooden backboards and old aluminum lawn chairs for seats. The Pioneer players played in their bare feet--there was no money for shoes. The coach had abandoned the team a few weeks earlier---midway through its 11-game schedule--running off with a bootlegger who'd stolen her father's car.

The young woman at the door was a waif, as pitiable as the school. Her clothes were tattered, her hair a tangled mess. She'd run away from the tumbledown cabin where she lived with six sisters, four brothers and several cats. Her parents, poor and beaten down by hard luck, spent most of their time staring at a black-and-white TV. The young woman fled in the night, seeking a better life. She had in her possession only a threadbare sack and an uncooked potato.

The school president, a former used-car dealer named Amos, asked the young woman what was in the sack. She pulled out... an old basketball. She told Amos that she love basketball--it was the only joy in her life. She used to dribble the ball on a dirt path around her family's cabin until her father, tired of the thumping sound, threatened to shoot the ball with his shotgun. She would sneak into local high-school games, where she learned the rudiments of basketball tactics and team motivation by observing the coaches scream at their players. "I've only got a fourth-grade education," she admitted to Amos, "but I know a little bit about basketball." Amos scratched his stubble and replied: "We need a basketball coach."

And thus began the most unusual Division II success story of all time. Under the young woman's tutelage, the barefoot Pioneers of Glenville State won all five of its remaining games by whopping margins. The new, unknown coach never yelled at her charges, only whispered in their ears during timeouts. And, yet, so fast and furious was the team's style of play that the court's floorboards started to crack. Amos, encouraged by the team's unexpected success, expanded the schedule to 30 games, gave the new and mysterious coach a $15 raise and, thanks to a donation from a Coal Dust Rectification company, bought the team new sneakers. The next season the Pioneers went 29-1, and from there the team dominated the modest Mountain East Conference for the next seven seasons--averaging 212 points a game. For all the success, the team's 40 fans could leaern little about their astounding whiz of a coach. She'd ride off on a bike after every practice and game, disappearing into the woods that she knew best. There were rumors that she lived in a tent and read books by John Wooden by lantern light at night. But they were only rumors. All anyone could say with certainty was her name....Kim Stephens.

You don't base a hire on one individual result, especially a game where a team shot 24% from the field and 14% from three.

Reactions: Ratvol
Sounds legit
It's sad how many losers pretend to have connections online.

You know what successful people with connections don't do? Talk about it on forums.

You know when you are occasionally in a bind and have to go into a Walmart and you are taken aback by how some people live...this is what they do in their spare time.

If we are going to end up with a mid-major coach, at least get one that was competitive against the best schools and use the NCAA as the judgment. That by the way is why Harper was fired. She was fired because she could only make the sweet 16 and some of you are okay with a coach who couldn't get past the first round. SMH
She did beat Florida at their place this season was her best win. Won over Poppe who got the Clemson job. Won 27 games and lost big to Va Tech

Reactions: spojo13

Actually, recruiting was the concern with him and his staff. He never landed a four star at UCF where they are surrounded by many. But it was UCF. The bigger issue is he brought much of his staff and they were not in on the type of 0layers TN needed and hampered by the “we are terrible cheaters” press conference, recruiting did not go well early at all. In this case, some big time recruiters would be key imo.

Just like Brooks who took the best Va Tech players with him to Kentucky.Would be nice if Dawn Staley did ride the same horse to Tennessee ? Ha ....dreams are nice ......

and i saw that brooks is now 3rd highest paid wbb coach in sec lets see what we do
I expect us to do what he got 1.5 million with some built in raises for several years. The only way we do less would be a mid major coach who we could pay a million and still triple what they are making now.

VN Store

Back