Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

No. I believe this stuff can take days. I don't believe we've been rejected" several times just like I am still waiting on the many coaches that turned down the football job. You said " A LOT" so name them for us.
Choose to believe what you want. It’ll be pretty obvious that we’ve been told no several times once it’s not an elite coach. But since we’re “swinging for the fences”, I’m sure it will be Walz, Staley, Ivy, Freese, Gottlieb, Smesko, Close, Mulkey, or Shafer.

Choose to believe what you want. It’ll be pretty obvious that we’ve been told no several times once it’s not an elite coach. But since we’re “swinging for the fences”, I’m sure it will be Walz, Staley, Ivy, Freese, Gottlieb, Smesko, Close, Mulkey, or Shafer.
It's obvious we've been told no? How is it obvious? You and your imaginary source know squat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratvol
Well, whoever it was, they made a good choice by reaching out to a small school coach. Guess I gave Joan Cronan too much credit for being forward thinking, sorry bout that.e
Who are you talking about?

You seem to be insinuating that it was Pat Summitt but Tennessee was actually her first coaching job. In 1974, being a WCBB coach paid less than being the janitor who cleaned up after practice.
50 years later, times have changed. What worked in 1974 is not likely to be the right strategy in 2024.

So you want a coach who lost by 41 points to a team that generally lost to teams we want Tennessee to beat. That doesn't make sense. Had the outcome of that game been a close buzzer beater loss - then that would prove a point - but on the biggest stage the Marshall coach looked terrible.
In comparison, Smeska at FGCU has an excellent record fo 20 years and only lost to Oka by 3 points in NCAA first round.

No. Still don’t believe you actually.
That’s alright. It honestly doesn’t matter what I nor anyone else says on here. What matters is getting in this homerun hire completed. I’m sure it will be a no brainer, unite the fan base, and result in an elite 8.

Who are you talking about?

You seem to be insinuating that it was Pat Summitt but Tennessee was actually her first coaching job. In 1974, being a WCBB coach paid less than being the janitor who cleaned up after practice.
50 years later, times have changed. What worked in 1974 is not likely to be the right strategy in 2024.
Whatever, you are obviously the historian on the board. I know CPS came from UT Martin, teaching or whatever. I hope you get the coach you want.

It's not outrage. It would just be a failure by White. Anybody could hire Caldwell. This is a program with eight national titles. We've suffered from having two coaches who were not even close to first-rate--one with zero head-coach experience who spent most of her career as second assistant and famed "friend of Pat" and the other got sacked by NC State and was coaching at Missouri State--not a terrible hire but not a good hire, either.

So we'd now hire another coach with almost no major-college experience? Uh, no--you don't do it, I don't care how well she did last year. If you can't land a topper, then you go all out to hire somebody like Fortier--32-4 this year at Gonzaga, 16-0 in the conference--mid-major coach of the year. That's your target type. Hiring Caldwell would suggest strongly that either White is simply wacky or that he failed to do his job and land the right coach. Look at Kentucky--they made a very good and logical hire. Who'd you rather have--Brooks or Caldwell?
I'm not sure you could call it a failure before she coached her first game. PR failure maybe, but we have no clue how successful or unsuccessful she would be. But I mean I get your point. She wouldn't be my first pick, but her career is extremely promising so far.

Danny White getting dragged online in these replies about Stephen. I haven’t seen this level of outrage by TN fans online since Schiano Sunday. He’s (hopefully) sitting in his hotel in ATL laughing right now.
We run ruled Auburn tonight. You know what this means? The hire has obviously been made, and DW let CTV and the team in on the secret. They were so motivated they blasted Auburn.

Whatever, you are obviously the historian on the board. I know CPS came from UT Martin, teaching or whatever. I hope you get the coach you want.
Well, a lot of people on this board know Pat's history (its only a google search away). Pat played at UT-Martin.

From her wikipedia page:

Just before the 1974–75 season, with women's college basketball still in its infancy and not yet an NCAA-sanctioned sport, 22-year-old Summitt became a graduate assistant at the University of Tennessee, and was named head coach of the Lady Vols after the previous coach suddenly quit. Summitt earned $250 monthly and washed the players' uniforms – uniforms purchased the previous year with proceeds from a doughnut sale

It was a different world.....

Different sports and not apples to apples, but Jim Tressell and Kalen Deboeur did alright after incredible success a level down.

That’s alright. It honestly doesn’t matter what I nor anyone else says on here. What matters is getting in this homerun hire completed. I’m sure it will be a no brainer, unite the fan base, and result in an elite 8.
It obviously matters because you just posted an attempt at a flex with your “does anyone believe me now” post in which you once again repeated your wild speculation as it was a fact. You’ve been in this thread trying to act like you know something. If it didn’t matter to you, you’d stop your nonsense. Nobody believes you.

All jokes aside, it doesn't matter if the hire is underwhelming on paper. Doesn't matter if it's a home run on paper. All that matters are results. If we're no better off 5 years from now than we were under KJH, it was a mistake. If we are, then obviously it was the right decision. People can bitch all they want, but it doesn't accomplish a damn thing. Myself, I'd rather be hopeful than choose to be miserable.

It obviously matters because you just posted an attempt at a flex with your “does anyone believe me now” post in which you once again repeated your wild speculation as it was a fact. You’ve been in this thread trying to act like you know something. If it didn’t matter to you, you’d stop your nonsense. Nobody believes you.
Sounds good.

Why is it "obvious we've been told no".

Nobody knows anything. I would bet money a hire has been made and they've been putting together a staff and waiting for the final to announce.
Johnny thinks finding a coach for an SEC program is like going last minute Christmas shopping. My wife knows that when I’m gone a long time, I’m not finding anything.

Making a hire for a program like this, with all the variables involved, isn’t a matter of heading to Sears or Kay Jewelers and just picking up something. Homeboy thinks that just because there hasn’t been an announcement, Danny is getting rejected by everyone. Johnny thinks the Roane State coach just turned down the job. Tons of people out there hate making more than 2 million bucks a year I guess.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back