Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Many of you clowns will be eating your words soon. Danny White hired up & comers Nate Oates and Lance Leipold at Buffalo and look what those guys have done in recent years in men’s basketball and football. He did the same thing hiring Josh Huepel. I also understand both Buffalo and UCF’s women’s basketball have improved with hires he made at those institutions.

And for someone like me who’s a casual observer of women’s basketball, I’ll probably watch more because at least Kim Caldwell is an attractive lady. Guessing that’s what many in the LV mafia have against her.
This guy should never, ever watch LSU WBB.

A few Marshall fans are using that term to describe Kim for leaving them after one season. Remember the burning mattress when Kiffin did the same thing to us?

Most others have a more understanding take and congratulate her and express appreciation for the one season she gave them.

Our players seemed happy when greeting her and eager to get started. A couple of Marshall fans accused her of running off some Marshall players and commits who didn't fit her system (not uncommon action by new coaches). I'm sure our returning players are anxious to see how they'll fit into her system.

We'll also see if she adapts to players' strengths and continues to press, run, and platoon.
I can understand that. Hate it for Marshall, She done well there. Turncoat may not have been the best word I used. Sure they feel she betrayed them. I also know some here are disappointed and wanted a name at UT. I just support who we get.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
They’re gonna stay and finish. If not, this could get ugly…

Most of not all will stay. They've invested too much into their education and the program, most being upperclass or grad students
If they wanted extensive playing time or a starting role, they'd probably have to move to a weaker program/conference or down a level. Several have already transferred once before. And they might be looking forward to a new, more exciting style.

I don't think any, including Spear, will go portal-hopping trying to improve draft stock the way Van Lith seems to be doing.

What if Kellie gets a job and takes Spear, Cooper and Boyd and leaves us the rest?

Desperate fanatic talk.. you haven’t mentioned Boyd as a key player heading into this season since she has been in Knoxville. Acted like she was a Top 200 recruit instead of a Top 30 recruit on Hoopgurlz Top 100 list. Matter of fact, you said UT needs a good PG the same position she plays and have acted like T.Coop doesn’t exist another player that plays PG and SG.
Now all of sudden they are part of a group you care about the former coach taking to a job she doesn’t even have based on a Twitter report lol.
You all do anything for clout.

Desperate fanatic talk.. you haven’t mentioned Boyd as a key player heading into this season since she has been in Knoxville. Acted like she was Top 200 recruit instead of a Top 30 recruit. Matter of fact, you said UT needs a good PG the same position she plays and have acted like T.Coop doesn’t exist another player that plays PG and SG.
Now all of sudden they are part of a group you care about the former coach taking to a job she doesn’t even have based on a Twitter report lol.
You all do anything for clout.
I’ve said Cooper and Boyd are unknown For me since I haven’t watched them yet, I don’t like to judge until I see some film, that’s why I would like them to stay so I can see what they can do. I’ve said that on multiple occasions and u can look it up.

I can understand that. Hate it for Marshall, She done well there. Turncoat may not have been the best word I used. Sure they feel she betrayed them. I also know some here are disappointed and wanted a name at UT. I just support who we get.

I'm sure some of Mo State's players felt betrayed by Kellie even though she stayed six years, gave them the thrill of a lifetime, and left them in great shape rosterwise.

Hard to blame a coach for accepting a huge pay raise and career opportunity. With the portal giving players the same chances to move to more favorable circumstances, players ought to be very understanding.

The recruitment phase is going to be the most interesting thing to watch in the off-season, both for next season and beyond. But White knew that, do Kim obviously had plans in place to address the roster.

Today I am grieving the loss of the Lady Vol brand. Trust me, I’ll be on board in a few days.
I get it. You were on top of the world after guessing right on KJH getting fired (and tip of my hat to you). But you were wrong on just about every aspect of the search process and are now working through the seven stages of grief. You gotta do what you gotta do to cope.

But you have been hammering out anti-Caldwell narratives, like she is the bargain bin coach because White, against your predictions did not want to spend the $. Just not cool.

Related to that your assumption is that every coach in the country wants to be at Tennessee because it is the best job in the country.

We now know the Indiana coach--who would have been a great hire--did not think so. Dawn was never leaving SC; Hammon was not going to leave the best WNBA team and the list goes on. Leaving one program where you are established, have a good thing going, and roots planted for essentially a rebuild job in East Tennessee carries a lot of risks.

As for the "brand," The LVs have not been to the final four since 2008-- that is a lot of tarnish.

To any coach at a thriving program (and there are many), the LVs job does not necessarily look like greener pastures,

But to an up and comer young coach, this job is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Very good chance that Caldwell was the best coach White could get (under the current circumstances and timeline).

It is a high risk-high reward hire so we will see. Caldwell has a great coaching reputation so the big unknown is how she can recruit when making this BIG jump.

If some of the more connected voices on this board are correct, she is walking into a much better NIL situation than Kellie so that should help. It will be interesting to see how she does in this year';s portal as a surprise hire with no track record at a Power 5 school. We will see soon enough. It appears that most of the current roster is staying put so that it is a positive.

Last edited:
I get it. You were on top of the world after guessing right on KJH getting fired (and tip of my hat to you). But you were wrong on just about every aspect of the search process and are now working through the seven stages of grief. You gotta do what gotta do to cope.

But you have been hammering of anti-Caldwell narratives, like she is the bargain bin coach because White, against your predictions did not want to spend the $. Just not cool.

Related to that your assumption is that every coach in the country wants to be at Tennessee because it is the best job in the country.

We now know the Indiana coach--who would have been a great hire--did not think so. Dawn was never leaving SC; Hammon was not going to leave the best WNBA team and the list goes on. Leaving one program where you are established, have a good thing going, and roots planted for essentially a rebuild job in East Tennessee carries a lot of risks.

As for the "brand," The LVs have not been to the final four since 2008-- that is a lot of tarnish.

To any coach at a thriving program (and there are many), the LVs job does not necessarily look like greener pastures,

But to an up and comer young coach, this job is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Very good chance that Caldwell was the best coach White could get (under the current circumstances and timeline).

It is a high risk-high reward hire so we will see. Caldwell has a great coaching reputation so the big unknown is how she can recruit when making this BIG jump.

If some of the more connected voices on this board are correct, she is walking into a much better NIL situation than Kellie so that should help. It will be interesting to see how she does in this year';s portal as a surprise hire with no track record at a Power 5 school. We will see soon enough. It appears that most of the current roster is staying put so that it is a positive.
If this is our roster going into the season, how do u feel the season will turn out. We won one game in the tournament with Rickea, what’s your opinion?

I am worried about her being able to get serviceable bodies for the SEC grind also. Players will come but she is going to have to have great talent. Portal will be kind to her on some empty spots but she will have to get someone that recruits with her limited experience. I think she will do fine if not great things here if everything falls into place for her. Clock is ticking though. Some are already hating on her.

If this is our roster going into the season, how do u feel the season will turn out. We won one game in the tournament with Rickea, what’s your opinion?
There is a lot unknowns. Keeping Cooper and Boyd, who have not yet signaled their intentions, would help. We all know that the roster desperately needs a good post, a good PG (great would be preferred) and another scoring option to help Jewel and Sara, Without that, this team is badly undermanned. That much is obvious.

The X factor is the assertion that Coach Caldwell can get a lot more out of the players than Kellie did. I hope those priors are correct. We have seen more than a few teams who do better than expected by following the whole is greater than the sum of its parts principle. Honestly, with better outside shooting (I mean like having 2 or 3 knockdown shooters on the floor who can also guard), it would be possible to compensate the absence of Rickea. (So, again back to the transfer portal outcome...)

There is a lot unknowns. Keeping Cooper and Boyd, who have not yet signaled their intentions, would help. We all know that the roster desperately needs a good post, a good PG (great would be preferred) and another scoring option to help Jewel and Sara, Without that, this team is badly undermanned. That much is obvious.

The factor is the assumption that Coach Caldwell can get a lot more out of the players than Kellie did. I hope those priors are correct. We have seen more than a few teams who do better than expected by following the whole is greater than the sum of its parts principle. Honestly, with better outside shooting (I mean like having 2 or 3 knockdown shooters on the floor who can also guard), it would be possible to compensate the absence of Rickea. (So, again back to the transfer portal outcome...)
I guess the next 2 weeks will let us know how the roster will end up, and in the next few months we need some top players in the 2025 class.

Yeah, for someone who spent three posts talking about how "hot" Mark Sear's mom is, that last paragraph pretty much sums up the extent of your interest in women's sports.

Borne out by your near-complete absence from the Lady Vols forum over the past year. Have to agree with your self-description as a "casual observer."
I agree with you. Nobody cares about the Lady Vols.

Reactions: SmokinBob
A few Marshall fans are using that term to describe Kim for leaving them after one season. Remember the burning mattress when Kiffin did the same thing to us?

Most others have a more understanding take and congratulate her and express appreciation for the one season she gave them.

Our players seemed happy when greeting her and eager to get started. A couple of Marshall fans accused her of running off some Marshall players and commits who didn't fit her system (not uncommon action by new coaches). I'm sure our returning players are anxious to see how they'll fit into her system.

We'll also see if she adapts to players' strengths and continues to press, run, and platoon.
That’s encouraging.

Agreed, however I did see reports of Kellie Harper being in the mix for Marquette’s coaching position. Does that put a sway on anything if she gets it? I don’t know.
Looked up. Interesting. Nice to see Kellie appreciated.

From the Marquette Golden Eagles Community:

So: Woman with history of success as head coach, coming off a tournament appearance, on the younger side of things, no serious connection to the school they’re currently at.

Am I missing a quality candidate or 12 by keeping it to that pool? Sure am, no doubt. For example: I think Marquette fans would break a relatively inconsequential bone in their body to have a coach with the track record that Kellie Harper had at Tennessee that also got her fired by Vols administration.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back