Lady Vols Softball Team Game Thread week 6

I wish I could see this game. I'd like to know whether Morrison has improved or if Liberty just has a weak batting lineup.

I believe I saw their record is 18-13 and leading their conference 5-1. Played Florida to a 10 inning game 2-1 loss. Must be decent I guess.

Complete game shutout by Morrison. Very nice! She induced a ton of ground outs and apparently was able to keep the ball down. I still say Morrison is potentially very valuable come tournament time.

She did not walk a batter, I don't think. Congrats to her--and, yea, great confidence booster.

Did Lockman hurt herself in the Ole Miss series with a late slide into 2nd base. I can't remember if it was her or someone else, but whoever it was looked a little gimpy afterward. Late slides are never wise as they are an easy way to injure your leg. I hope this is not the case.

Good couple of wins.

Next up is North Carolina State. State is not faring well this year, according to their website they have a 12 and 20 record, with no significant wins. They've lost twice to North Carolina, and were beaten badly in a doubleheader by South Carolina Upstate of all teams. They play the same Liberty University team that Tennessee just played tomorrow night. I'll have to check the score of that one and see how that turns out.

Did anyone see the game in person ? Sounded like Morrison threw strikes all day long.

Her strike pitch ratio was .62, which is right on the low end of where it needs to be. I would say she was throwing enough strikes. She was able to induce a lot of grounders, also.

She did not walk a batter, I don't think. Congrats to her--and, yea, great confidence booster.

Did Lockman hurt herself in the Ole Miss series with a late slide into 2nd base. I can't remember if it was her or someone else, but whoever it was looked a little gimpy afterward. Late slides are never wise as they are an easy way to injure your leg. I hope this is not the case.

Good couple of wins.

She was not injured on the slide, she had issues with both of her ankles before that. It was mentioned on the TV broadcast Sunday and the radio broadcast Tuesday. She could have gone today, but they elected to rest her. She has taken several foul balls behind the plate and fouled several pitches off her ankle herself.

Vines batting in the number four and five position in the order has raised her batting average to .396 and her obg to .453. She is now second on the team in RBIs.
Fabulous performance by Morrison who pitched a great game yesterday look forward to her appearances on the mound in the future. Control was her main problem and yesterday she had improved dramatically in that area.
Gregg is out of her slump and is again pushing a batting average of .446 and an obg of .549. She is almost a certain first team AA this season.

She was not injured on the slide, she had issues with both of her ankles before that. It was mentioned on the TV broadcast Sunday and the radio broadcast Tuesday. She could have gone today, but they elected to rest her. She has taken several foul balls behind the plate and fouled several pitches off her ankle herself.

Thanks DP. I never listen to the broadcast because of the other BS but I guess I missed some good info.

It would be nice if Morrison has turned​ some kind of a corner and can be reliably depended upon. I'll be satisfied if she could pitch a couple of shutout innings in the third game of the upcoming SEC contests.

Thanks DP. I never listen to the broadcast because of the other BS but I guess I missed some good info.

I frequently listen to the UT radio broadcast and I'm wondering what the "other BS" you're referring to is? I've always thought Brian Rice does a pretty good job calling the games and generally find it at least mildly entertaining.

South Carolina Upstate of all teams.

Seems like USCe had a coaching change last year and some turmoil going on, can't really remember.

Upstate is a very respectable program (at this time). They got a vote in the Top25 a week or so ago and were in the Regional's last year.

I see a trio of run-rules coming up.

I frequently listen to the UT radio broadcast and I'm wondering what the "other BS" you're referring to is? I've always thought Brian Rice does a pretty good job calling the games and generally find it at least mildly entertaining.

Agree ....quantum improvement since his start ......

Rice has gotten MUCH better as a broadcaster. When he first started, you couldn't listen to the broadcast because there was nothing to listen to. He was obviously very inexperienced and didn't realize that radio listeners have NO info at all on the game--unless they are simultaneously on gametracker or something--and thus a broadcaster should be talking continuously--describing action, giving the count, batting avg stats, ball-strike count, the whole nine yards. Rice, in the first year or two, would say something every minute or so seemingly. Someone would be at the plate hitting, and then the next time he spoke that hitter would be on second base and you had no idea what happened. But, as I say, with experience he's become pretty good. So hats off to him.

Nooooooooooo, either I was not clear or you misunderstood my statement. I always listen to BR and love his info. I was referring to who ever is doing the TV broadcast. That is the BS I was referring to.

Congratulations to Brooke Vines and Caylan Arnold. Brooke Vines was named the SEC Player of the Week as well as the Louisville Slugger NFCA National Player of the Week and Caylan Arnold was named the SEC Freshman of the Week.

More here including an interview with Karen:

https://youtu.be/e2ttYOsKktQ

Rice has gotten MUCH better as a broadcaster. When he first started, you couldn't listen to the broadcast because there was nothing to listen to. He was obviously very inexperienced and didn't realize that radio listeners have NO info at all on the game--unless they are simultaneously on gametracker or something--and thus a broadcaster should be talking continuously--describing action, giving the count, batting avg stats, ball-strike count, the whole nine yards. Rice, in the first year or two, would say something every minute or so seemingly. Someone would be at the plate hitting, and then the next time he spoke that hitter would be on second base and you had no idea what happened. But, as I say, with experience he's become pretty good. So hats off to him.

That was Stephen Lee that did the early season games a couple of years while also serving as sports information director that had all the dead air, not the same person that's doing the games now.

Nooooooooooo, either I was not clear or you misunderstood my statement. I always listen to BR and love his info. I was referring to who ever is doing the TV broadcast. That is the BS I was referring to.

Ah, that makes sense. Wish the online audio synched up better with the SEC+ online video streams so we could eliminate the TV commentators altogether.

That was Stephen Lee that did the early season games a couple of years while also serving as sports information director that had all the dead air, not the same person that's doing the games now.

Sorry about that--I stand corrected and apologize to Brian Rice! Keep up the good work!

While were playing NC State and hopefully winning let's hope the bottom half of the SEC can beat up on the top half. Auburn vs Ga., Florida at Arkansas, Miss St. at LSU, Kentucky at Ole Miss, Alabama at Missouri.

VN Store

Back