Lane>hurd

I don't remember Hurd ever getting a carry outside the tackles. I would think with his speed you would want him to run lots of counters and sweeps and get outside where he can punish smaller dbs. I think loading the box had a lot to do with the run game Last night but it also seemed that the runs called where up the middle and pretty conservative. Jmo.

I wanted to see him outside, too. As I said elsewhere, I'm starting to think the quick passing game is used to replace tosses and such in Butch's system. That may not be bad overall, but when they know the back is just going to hammer between the tackles, and the QB isn't quick enough to get outside either, they can crash down. And, as you say, it's not using Hurd's whole skill set.

I'm sorry but I don't care for the same shotgun hand offs all game. I think under center can give us more momentum. Plus, we didn't do any sweeps...why :(

I know Butch probably wanted to test the line, but I was wondering why we never ran outside

Way to early dude!
The guy was an injured high school senior last year.
Give him time to burn off the jitters and buckle his chinstrap.
He had a fine first sec game against a team with a proven rush defense who also stacked the box nearly every play.
Simmerdownnaw!!!!

If Lane wants a chance at the NFL, he has to deliver this season. I expect him to run well.

When the longest run by any Tennessee ball-carrier was nine yards, once by Lane and once by Worley, that tells you that the offensive line wasn't opening "holes." They weren't opening lanes, they were barely opening creases in the defensive front. I was surprised at halftime to discover that Hurd had, I believe, 10 carries and Lane had only two, but it evened out in the second half, with both of them finishing with eleven carries. Jalen had 29 yards rushing on the night and Marlin added 41, so there isn't much to differentiate the two, based on this game. As previously noted, however, Jalen added a superb clearing block on one touchdown and "ran to glory" on the screen pass for another six-pointer.

Man he looked good on that screen pass. Need to get him into space more often.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't see it as Lane v. Hurd, they compliment each other. So I'll stay out of that debate. I did think Hurd was outstanding for a true freshman who has only played like one real game since 2012. Most of his runs came in the first half when our offense was struggling a bit, he didn't have any room to run but he picked up really tough yards every carry. The TD reception showed exactly what we were all hoping for - a big, fast, elusive back. I thought it was a great play and I'm confident we are going to see a lot more of that.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't see it as Lane v. Hurd, they compliment each other. So I'll stay out of that debate. I did think Hurd was outstanding for a true freshman who has only played like one real game since 2012. Most of his runs came in the first half when our offense was struggling a bit, he didn't have any room to run but he picked up really tough yards every carry. The TD reception showed exactly what we were all hoping for - a big, fast, elusive back. I thought it was a great play and I'm confident we are going to see a lot more of that.

My thoughts exactly. It's great we have them both and they are different types of players. The point is right now (and rightfully so) Lane is the more sec ready back. I thought he did a better job picking up tough yards and was tougher to bring down. Hurd looked great the one time got the ball out in space. These guys both are going to be a blast to watch this year

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet... But I felt like Hurd has some work to do on pass blocking. He's young and will get there... Of that I have no doubt.

Like to see him in space, hit the second level, some quick pitches to outside...
But bottom line as said before... We need them both!

Probably wont happen this season

If Worley keeps it up I won't be as worried. I do think Hurd is definitely a more gifted athlete, so when he learns to hit holes better and to find blocks he will be a problem. Can't wait for the Oklahoma game to see what we're really made of.

USU's scheme against the zone read was designed to force Worley to keep the football, and the DBs stayed in man coverage, in fact, sometimes they left the slot guy uncovered. USU was determined to stop the RBs.
This! The whole defensive game plan by USU was to force Worley to beat them. He did. Now DCs have an improved functioning Big Orange offense to scheme for, no more one dimensional O. The run game will come.

I've waited far too long to bring it up, but often character and the like are brought up. Remember when we recruited Lane ? He was a HR Hitter ! He suffered injuries, he was recruited over, he was bashed by the fans....and all he has done is work and work and work....and work more. Remember this is the same kid that got fed up with his life at home, packed his possessions and walked miles to his Father's house, (little brother in tow, if I remember correctly) because he needed to do better with his life.
It's great to have a "shiny new" Horse in the stable, but don't sleep on Marlin Lane, what he has gone through, not for an NFL contract- for all these "Fans" ! Great kid, turning into a great Man at the University Of TN ! My $0.02....

Reactions: 3 people
Is he another Bryce Brown?

Bryce Brown averaged 4.5 yards per carry (460 yards) on a bad hip as a true Freshman behind a patchwork offensive line. I expect more from Hurd but it's not like Bryce Brown showed no potential here. Hurd will be just fine.

Reactions: 3 people
What's been missed thus far in the the threads is how Hurd finished every run. The guy hardly ever was taken down by first contact and he churned his legs to move tacklers forward when they had him wrapped up. His stats are skewed by some ugly runs where he was met behind the line of scrimmage.

I still think it's early to hang the "best" title on him. He has yet to prove anything on the college level guys!

Hard to say at this point. The O line has to play better. Hurd looked great on the td pass but if we are being honest the run game in general didn't look great against USU. Once the O line gels a bit we should be able to tell more.

Lane needs to be the workhorse. He is a senior and brings a lot of experience and toughness. Hurd needs to learn from him. Hurd will get his carries and definitely has much more potential. However having a true freshman RB in the SEC, after replacing the entire OL is not a winning situation. I really hope Lane starts to get 15-17 touches a game.

Reactions: 1 person
Reminds me of the situation with Montario. But, he was clearly the betted hawse in the barn and after the first couple of games CLK k.ew he was going to win games. Nkt Brown.

The run gm will get better for both of them when the Oline gets a little more experience and have a little time to mesh together. If Lane can keep from getting hurt and have the chance to play a full season we might be surprised by him

It matters not. We'll need them both when the conference schedule kicks in.

VN Store

Back