Lane>hurd

Hurd had a key block on the Pig Howard TD. He worked hard this offseason on his blocking and it will play a key role in the success of this offense. Very impressed with desire to do what it takes to win

Hurd also had the worst attempt at a block I have ever seen that led to a sack on the first series. He is young and will get better. I was impressed with his shiftiness in traffic with his touchdown catch.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, they weren't opening any holes for Hurd. That was easy to see. Utah State's D was no pushover. they stalled plenty of our drives. We're just fortunate that the defense came up big like they did. In so doing, they handed the offense the ball back twice as much as Sal Sunseri's defense would have.

You get a different answer than I do when you multiply by zero.

Reactions: 2 people
With this team we definitely need to set up the run with the pass. Spread the field pass and then burn their butts with a run. Bubble passes all day and slants across the middle will open up the run game. Lul them to sleep and then the home run pass !!!

Hurd had a key block on the Pig Howard TD. He worked hard this offseason on his blocking and it will play a key role in the success of this offense. Very impressed with desire to do what it takes to win

Hurd got blown up on the first series when Worley got sacked. But he got better as the game went on

It seemed to me that we felt pretty confident about winning this game from the get go and they really wanted to throw hurd out there and get him used to the college speed. i think the coaches know what they have in lane and are trying hard to bring hurd up to speed as fast as possible. i think if okie was our first game and not utah st then lane would have had the lions share of the carries. it was just a great opportunity for hurd to tune up a little, get hit some and just adjust to the new level of comp.

Hurd also had the worst attempt at a block I have ever seen that led to a sack on the first series. He is young and will get better. I was impressed with his shiftiness in traffic with his touchdown catch.

Yeah hurd kinda just tried to catch the guy instead of initiating some contact and laying into the guy. scared he would miss the block and came out tentative maybe? He seemed to settle in after that one though. it was a humbling experience im sure lol

I have been a Lane guy for a while now. Definitely should have been the go-to guy last year over Neal. I was really shocked that he didnt get more snaps Sunday ( it seemed like Hurd was in for twice as many).
I hope we pound him ( Lane) against Arky State some to see if we are capable of wearing them down.
It was nice to get Hurd some quality play time in though.

OL has a long way to go for both to get a legit chance to make something good happen.

They both played sluggish, but wait until we play a team that isn't stacking the box the entire game.

Until the line prooves they can pass block against the better D's and Worley can punish them, we wont play that team.

I'm not a fan of the read option I for one would like to see Hurd in a power I. Either way we have to find a running game and fast.

Once they got a good lead I think the game plan became get Hurd as much gsme time as possible. He did miss his Sr. year so game time is important for Hurd. The coaches know what Lane can do. jmo

It seemed to me that we felt pretty confident about winning this game from the get go and they really wanted to throw hurd out there and get him used to the college speed. i think the coaches know what they have in lane and are trying hard to bring hurd up to speed as fast as possible. i think if okie was our first game and not utah st then lane would have had the lions share of the carries. it was just a great opportunity for hurd to tune up a little, get hit some and just adjust to the new level of comp.

I don't recall Lane making it through a season yet without injury? He's in his 4th season and should be on top of his game. I'd only give him a hand full of carries against ASU, just enough to keep him sharp. Be nice to have him fresh and not nicked up against OK and SEC teams.

Run blocking was pretty mediocre and the play calling was vanilla for the most part. We'll see what happens when we get to a real opponent for better or worse.

He doesn't need the work and we don't need him getting hurt.

Thought maybe that was the reason last week but appears to be BS. You saying we can afford to get Hurd hurt? Nope. If that was the case, you'd be seeing Summerhill. Coaches are feeding Hurd as the #1 and Lane should be. IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Thought maybe that was the reason last week but appears to be BS. You saying we can afford to get Hurd hurt? Nope. If that was the case, you'd be seeing Summerhill. Coaches are feeding Hurd as the #1 and Lane should be. IMO.

I like Lane but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he should get more touches than Hurd. Hurd is obviously more explosive, Lane is very good in short yardage, in tight spaces. They should compliment each other. Clearly the coaches know better than you or I, they're with them everyday, and they chose to go with Hurd more today.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back