Les Miles thread (merged)

Lets run a little check list for Miles shall we?

Great recruiter? Check

Talent developer? Check

Beat Saban? Check

Been very competative with Saban in losses? Check

Good gameday coach? Check

Knows what it takes to win at a high level in the SEC? Check

Impressive conference record? Check

Impressive record against ranked opponents? Check

National championship? Check

Always had tough teams? Check

A proven winner in the toughest division in football? Check

Well respected coach? Check

No baggage? Check

No buyout? Check

So whats the problem? I know some will say well he got fired because he wouldnt change. Fine. How do you know he wont change now? You dont. Nobody does. He may be still be stubborn as a mule. But the fact remains, that stubborn mule won at a high level in the toughest division in CF.

Another argument against Miles is that there will always be a couple of games where he blows it. Ok. So what? I mean its not like we are a team that has enjoyed a ton of success in the last decade. Are you trying to tell me that some of you wouldnt be happy with Miles winning 10 or 11 games a year? Get freaking real. Les Miles would instantly become the best coach in the East.

Reactions: 3 people
Les Miles would be accepted by the vast majority of the fan base, and for good reason. Hard to see a downside.

Alleva would have no problem taking a reference call for Miles I'm sure, I have about 7 million reasons why he would not have a problem giving his highest recommendation. :)

Seriously, I did recommend Les as some type of associate head coach position say with a young OC or DC, but man, I just couldn't see this working out.... but at this point someone probably needs to be brought in to stabilize the situation. Les's time has past, and he was solid coach, and he really is a pretty good guy.

Offense is only concern. Find out plans there and, if we like, pay the man.

Well, I can tell you the plan. You line up 8 big guys on the offense line... you have a QB under center... you have a FB....you pitch dive to the right to the RB. Every 4th play... you pitch dive to the left.

3rd and long... you just let the QB figure it out. :)

If your guys are bigger than the other guys, you will mostly win... if its even or smaller... you lose.

This is the best possible hire we could make right now. Les would have full support of fan base, and would be a fresh start from Butch.Has a proven track record.. National Championship, SEC Titles, 8 -10 win seasons at LSU.

This is the hire that makes the most sense, and through out the coaching world I think he is viewed as a big time coach. Media so obsessed with Chip Kelly as being the "big fish" that everyone wanted, but I would agree Miles success is on par with Kelly's and he isnt even being mentioned.

Reactions: 2 people
Les Miles or Kevin Sumlin could get this ship back afloat. I can't see Jeff Brohm doing that. Scott Frost might if we can't hire experienced coaches. Kiffin or Tee risky IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Les Miles or Kevin Sumlin could get this ship back afloat. I can't see Jeff Brohm doing that. Scott Frost might if we can't hire experienced coaches. Kiffin or Tee risky IMO.

My thoughts exactly... not that many National Championship coaches sitting around jobless without a scandal attached to their name. He is 64... 2 years younger than Saban. I'm not saying he will elevated us to a powerhouse quickly, but he could get this program back on the right track. I view him to Tennessee much like Spurrier to South Carolina

Would be best fit at Tennessee.

1. Great recruiter
2. Had best teams in league behind Alabama for years in a dominating West division
3. Can get his missing piece with Tennessee's abilities to recruit quarterbacks.
4. Knows the SEC landscape and the relationships with high school coaches in the region
5. Would now have his team in the East division

6. We would get to see what John Kelly, ty chandler COULD actually do!!!
would be better than the other names

I really don't understand why Les hasn't been brought up more. Yes he's in his 60s but he would stabilize the program, he consistently put together top 10 recruiting classes at LSU, fielded some of the best defenses in the conference (even towards the end), and would definitely be entertaining. IMO he is the safest hire we could make given the circumstances and I think the majority of vol nation would get behind him. He would be a very similar type hire for football as Barnes was for basketball.

If Les is so great why did the school he won a NC at FIRE HIM !!! Why has nobody else hired him ? I'd take Norvell, Frost or Lane over this guy.

Because they're dumb. They replaced Les Miles with Ed Orgeron. They're dumb.

I would never try to make some argument against Les's obvious tremendous success based on the cleverness of what LSU management did. They acted foolishly.

Reports last night are saying that AFTER the Schiano mess ended, that Les Miles reached out to sum UT Boosters to gauge interest on their end. So there ya go John Currie! A veteran, proven winner, good recruiter, a well known name, and a Championship ring! And HE is the one who contacted US to gauge interest. So if Currie doesn't call Les Miles and atleast have a discussion about the job, then Currie needs to be demoted to "special assistant to the AD" and switch places with Phil Fulmer! Call Les Miles! He will accept the job if offered. The longer this drags on, the worse UT looks. CALL LES or LEACH! This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back