Let's talk candidates...

I don't know if Coaching ability is genetic,but he would merit an interview. I'd like Tennessee to go after Donnie Tyndall,Michael White or even somebody like Western Kentucky coach Ray Harper who has a great record of 382-86.

Ray Harper has no big time experience and his recruiting ability is suspect.

I could really get behind Cronin, he put together a great season this year (despite losing in the first round to Dayton).

Musselman is for sure an interesting option. I don't think he would be the right fit at Tennessee though. Lawrence Frank would be a better option (IMO) if we were to go the NBA exp. route.

Mike Cronin or Richard Pitino. Cronin is a winner and would be great here and in the SEC. Richard Pitino knows and has lived basketball, he knows our region for recruiting and now has expanded that experience from his days at Minnesota; Pitino with an SEC school could be a great combination.

Can we put up a list of people who have turned us down through one form or another so people stop asking about Pitino/Miles/etc.?

Why not?
Dude is not cuttin it with Boston and they won't put up with that much longer! He might see a chance to get out before he gets his head chopped off. I don't think its as far fetched as a lot of you guys apparently do!

I'm not positive but I think it was a known that Stevens and the Celtics wouldn't be that great this year. They traded away all of the superstars because of age. Ainge wants to bring in younger talent so I would assume Stevens is going to get a couple more years before they even think about kicking him to the curb.

Can we put up a list of people who have turned us down through one form or another so people stop asking about Pitino/Miles/etc.?

Coaches deny interest in jobs all the time before taking said position. Not sure there's much point in trying to guess who's serious and who's just blowing off the question.

Mick Cronin Cincinnati, great record, strong recruiter. team beat Louisville and Memphis during season...very fiery coach. also good friend to Butch jones..

He would likely cost more than what Hart's apparently willing to spend. His new deal is rumored to be around $2.2m at Cincy.

Ray Harper has no big time experience and his recruiting ability is suspect.

Harper was recruiting to Kentucky Wesleyan and now gets to recruit to WKU. It's not apples to apples comparisons. With that said his recruiting isn't really that suspect. He discovered Derek Gordon who's at UMass now before any of the big boys did. He got Gordon to commit as a SO and then he blew up, became a 4* and major programs came after him. But the relationship he built with him paid off and Gordon signed and enrolled at WKU were he was the leading scorer his freshman season. He also discovered Cezar Guerrero a 4* PG that ultimately signed with Ok State after being committed to WKU for over a year. Harper was one of the first coaches in on Chane Behanan too. To even get a 5* like Behanan to look twice at a school like WKU says a lot about Harper's abilities.

All the Pearl lovers out there may want to cover your eyes, but Harper was something like 13-4 vs Pearl with multiple conference championships while competing in the same conference. I believe Pearl was 0-? in conference finals vs Harper.

Reactions: 1 person
Harper was recruiting to Kentucky Wesleyan and now gets to recruit to WKU. It's not apples to apples comparisons. With that said his recruiting isn't really that suspect. He discovered Derek Gordon who's at UMass now before any of the big boys did. He got Gordon to commit as a SO and then he blew up, became a 4* and major programs came after him. But the relationship he built with him paid off and Gordon signed and enrolled at WKU were he was the leading scorer his freshman season. He also discovered Cezar Guerrero a 4* PG that ultimately signed with Ok State after being committed to WKU for over a year. Harper was one of the first coaches in on Chane Behanan too. To even get a 5* like Behanan to look twice at a school like WKU says a lot about Harper's abilities.

All the Pearl lovers out there may want to cover your eyes, but Harper was something like 13-4 vs Pearl with multiple conference championships while competing in the same conference. I believe Pearl was 0-? in conference finals vs Harper.

Harper is a darn good coach who could very well be another Bruce Pearl.

Harper is a darn good coach who could very well be another Bruce Pearl.

The problem with a place like WKU is they have to rely too much on juco's, local kids and reaches. The roster is never stable or stacked. I have trouble keeping up with everyone and it takes me halfway through the season to even learn the team and I used to attend almost every home game, before moving. I will say, Harper's KWU success hasn't translated as well to WKU as I would've thought but injuries have decimated them the last few years. He's yet to have a healthy roster in his 2 full seasons here. I believe he needs a few more years to prove himself but then he's getting up in age by that point. The man has won 4 national titles at the NAIA and D2 level so there's no doubt he can coach. To top it off, he's an absolute blast to watch on the sidelines. The refs know he's there, and there's no mistaking that.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back