Low: Florida at Tennessee Highest Stakes in 2016

You know how this works Lawrence. Can't look at what actually happened and identify the reasons for a loss. It has to be because of the mythical, subjective, catch-all excuse of "we ain't got no depth." Youll also see the "we don't have enough talent" excuse unless its used to project the upcoming season, in which case "this is one of the most talented teams in the country and school history and Bama and Florida and Georgia don't have a shot of staying with us!"

Maybe it's because in 2015 the players that came from our back to back top 5 classes were true freshmen and sophomores. While in 2016 they'll be experienced juniors and sophomores.

But let me guess experience doesn't make a difference.

The UT-Fla game is going to decide the fate of the universe. If we lose,Satan will rule for eternity. If we win,Jesus will return and rule in place of the plutocrats and we shall have peace. GO VOLS!!

Reactions: 1 person
Indeed my fellow Vol fan. Indeed. Hope and pray we're about to experience a special season. Appreciate your respectful debate.

I sure would like to see a bit more of this attitude. Football is a sport, fans that lose sight of that do the game no favors. Agree to disagree, fervently, passionately even emphatically, but at least try to leave some room for respect, (I know not all trolls qualify, but hey). GBO!

Exactly. The pressure will always be on Florida to win this game until they lose it.
wrong. the pressure is squarely on the team that's picked to win the East, ranked in every pre season poll known to man, and has the game at home. the pressure is on TN as long as we continue to lose, AND continue to get the 'hype'.

the pressure is not on the team wiht a new qb and new front 7, picked to finish 3rd in the East. plus they've got 2 national titles in the last decae and 11 years of credit built up in this "rivalry".

He also thinks that attrition from those classes has no impact on the analysis of those classes (eg, losing 7 four-star players from the 2014 class doesn't affect it at all) ......and thinks Nick Saban greatly underachieves as a collegiate headcoach.

Also, so many lazily fall back on talent as being the only that wins a game. That resident statistician also allows for a 30% chance that talent plays no role in the outcome of a game.

Bottom line, I'll stand firmly behind my belief that Tennessee had the BETTER TEAM each of the last two seasons and just blew 2 late score leads because of other factors.

Maybe we overachieved for 3 quarters?

I mean you're always pulling stats out at me. Now you claim we've been the better team the last 2 years when there is NO OBJECTIVE evidence.

(1) Florida finished with a better overall record than us in 2014 and 2015.
(2) They have had the better 4 year recruiting average till this year.
(3) They've also had more players drafted by a wide margin.

Yes we led them going into the 4th the last 2 years.

But maybe that is the outlier?

All the numbers say they've been the more talented team.
here's the bottom line about the last two years, and i don't care what metric you wanna use...we had NO BUSINESS losing either of those games. and i doubt you're going to find anyone that matters really disagree on that note. you can argue recruiting ranking, draft picks or intangibles all you want. we had 'em by 2 scores at home in 14 and 3 scores on the road, and lost both.
Maybe it's because in 2015 the players that came from our back to back top 5 classes were true freshmen and sophomores. While in 2016 they'll be experienced juniors and sophomores.

But let me guess experience doesn't make a difference.
well, KB was right about one thing....experience didn't matter when FL rallied with a bunch of fr and so on the field last year.

so.......it matters for us.....but not so much for everyone else.
You said losing to UT is a "killer" for UF fans, and we would be calling for McElwain's head if we lose to you guys, which is complete BS.

You backtracked a bit in your post above, because you knew your initial post was complete BS. :)

Location doesn't play into my opinion as much as age. Among older UF fans, UGA is our biggest rival. Younger UF fans hate FSU more. Losing to those guys hurt a helluva lot more than losing to UT.
in fairness, you're 20-5 agianst us the last 25 years, and won 11 in a row. the last time we beat you guys, half your team was in the 3rd grade/4th grade. there's not a graduating class since 2004 that's experienced a loss.

in reality, there's just not been that much to worry about really. and this year, if you lose...well, you're kinda supposed to. you move on, and i don't think anyone believes this will be start of a 11 year change in the tide.

Reactions: 2 people
don't get me wrong, we still need to win this game, and we should be pretty freaking excited about it.

but if you're FL, you shrug your shoulders and move on. just a different perspective based on the status of all things FL/TN.

the sin....will be losing this game again. there will be very few that will pick FL to win. and those that do, will pick them because of the mental issue TN has had in beating FL.

so, take that for whatever you want. but if we were to lose this game, this year, again....i can't imagine what the reasons will be.

The pressure is on UT to "win" it. They have had UF beat 2 years in a row only to leave the door cracked for UF to kick it open and continue to win.

I don't know how much better UF will be in comparison to last year. That was a good defense and a very opportunistic team that finished better than most anyone thought they would. UF has proven the last 2 years that they are not going to give the game away so the pressure is on UT to take a win.

don't get me wrong, we still need to win this game, and we should be pretty freaking excited about it.

but if you're FL, you shrug your shoulders and move on. just a different perspective based on the status of all things FL/TN.

the sin....will be losing this game again. there will be very few that will pick FL to win. and those that do, will pick them because of the mental issue TN has had in beating FL.

so, take that for whatever you want. but if we were to lose this game, this year, again....i can't imagine what the reasons will be.

You obviously get it.

UF losing this game doesn't signal the beginning of some collapse of our football program. We simply would have lost to a team with equal or better talent in their house.

Now if UT loses with all the hype, home field advantage and talent...that won't be good.

Like I said earlier, UF is playing with house money.

I think the perspective would be a little different if this was a top 5 UF team. From UF fans.

Its akin to my attitude when UT had a terrible coach with no talent and they are losing to better UF teams. Don't make losing any more funny buts its not like that one game is keeping you from a larger goal.

You obviously get it.

UF losing this game doesn't signal the beginning of some collapse of our football program. We simply would have lost to a team with equal or better talent in their house.

Now if UT loses with all the hype, home field advantage and talent...that won't be good.

Like I said earlier, UF is playing with house money.

it's unfortunate that we're on the same page.:thumbsup:

I think the perspective would be a little different if this was a top 5 UF team. From UF fans.

Its akin to my attitude when UT had a terrible coach with no talent and they are losing to better UF teams. Don't make losing any more funny buts its not like that one game is keeping you from a larger goal.

As usual you're on point.

oh, i agree. but they're not...and we won't be for very long if we lose again.

Reading this thread I love the contradictions.

A lot of folks here believe Tennessee will finish the season ranked as a top 10 team.

And people believe Mac is going to take heat for losing to a top 10 team on the road? With this roster?

I know people don't want to accept it, but while there are always some idiots....most Gator fans understand that Florida is in the unusual position of being in a rebuild status.

I'll tell you right now people would trade a loss to Tennessee for a 77-0 beating of South Carolina.

Reading this thread I love the contradictions.

A lot of folks here believe Tennessee will finish the season ranked as a top 10 team.

And people believe Mac is going to take heat for losing to a top 10 team on the road? With this roster?

I know people don't want to accept it, but while there are always some idiots....most Gator fans understand that Florida is in the unusual position of being in a rebuild status.

I'll tell you right now people would trade a loss to Tennessee for a 77-0 beating of South Carolina.
muschamp butt hurt?

can't say i blame you, i'd love to beat the crap out of Kiffin and Bama.

i bet you get your wish before i get mine....:no:

wrong. the pressure is squarely on the team that's picked to win the East, ranked in every pre season poll known to man, and has the game at home. the pressure is on TN as long as we continue to lose, AND continue to get the 'hype'.

the pressure is not on the team wiht a new qb and new front 7, picked to finish 3rd in the East. plus they've got 2 national titles in the last decae and 11 years of credit built up in this "rivalry".

here's the bottom line about the last two years, and i don't care what metric you wanna use...we had NO BUSINESS losing either of those games. and i doubt you're going to find anyone that matters really disagree on that note. you can argue recruiting ranking, draft picks or intangibles all you want. we had 'em by 2 scores at home in 14 and 3 scores on the road, and lost both.

well, KB was right about one thing....experience didn't matter when FL rallied with a bunch of fr and so on the field last year.

so.......it matters for us.....but not so much for everyone else.

in fairness, you're 20-5 agianst us the last 25 years, and won 11 in a row. the last time we beat you guys, half your team was in the 3rd grade/4th grade. there's not a graduating class since 2004 that's experienced a loss.

in reality, there's just not been that much to worry about really. and this year, if you lose...well, you're kinda supposed to. you move on, and i don't think anyone believes this will be start of a 11 year change in the tide.

I love how yall focus on Grier and Callaway yet ignore the all-NFL defense they had that forced us into consective 3 and outs.

We pick up one first down and we win the game.

That defense probably will have everyone they had on the field against us drafted. Most of them in the first 3 rounds.

Yes Florida's offense was young and terrible and we should not have given up that 4th and 14.

However, they did have an NFL defense that basically forced us to try and run out the clock than pick up a first down.

Not a good way to start the main stretch. But its not like UT hasn't done that before.

exactly, and that has to be the mantra going forward, because our schedule is always front loaded, for us, it DOES MATTER HOW YOU START.

only 5 times in 25 years have we made it past the FL game controlling our own destiny, and one of those years the game was played in December.

I love how yall focus on Grier and Callaway yet ignore the all-NFL defense they had that forced us into consective 3 and outs.

That defense probably will have everyone they had on the field against us drafted. Most of them in the first 3 rounds.

Yes Florida's offense was young and terrible and we should not have given up that 4th and 14.

However, they did have an NFL defense that basically forced us to try and run out the clock than pick up a first down.
dude stop it. quit talking about our lack of experience being the key contributor to the loss, and i'll not ever bring up FL's youth being the ones that won the game.

you can't have it both ways.

UT gave up that 4th and 14 not because of youth, it was coaching.

Grier was seeing stars after getting rocked by Barnett on 3rd down, yet UT chose not to bring the heat on 4th down. That's on the coaching staff.

UF's defense held UT to 3 consecutive 3 and outs late due to conservative play calling...coaching...not UT's youth.

UT was manhandling our All-Madden defense until 10 minutes left in the game.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back