Mark Bradley: Austin Pope more athletic than Jason Witten

I don't know what that guy thinks a good tight end speed needs to be but only dustin moore from Greenville tn was faster than Jason W:eek:k::eek:k::crazy:

There are a whole bunch of tight ends more athletic than Witten. Wittens athletic ability isnt what makes him special, its his passion and drive and work ethic .

To be honest Witten never has been an athletic TE. He is just a workaholic & uses his strength & knowledge to his game. He's never been fast. He's always been one of the best route running TE's that has ever played the game.

At UT Witten wasn't that great of a TE. Let's just be honest. We also have to be honest that back then we didn't utilize the TE position very much in the passing game.

Witten changed that for us here at UT. However, he never had any great statistical seasons here at UT. His junior year was his best & he made some great plays to win games including the marathon Arkansas game. Good to see we have an athletic one headed our way. Ethan Wolf is pretty athletic as well.

You just became my 3rd ignore.

You're ignorant and obviously never saw Witten play at UT as he's freakishly fast for his size. Instead of posting ignorant BS, educate yourself - go on youtube and watch his game against Michigan.

100 Days of Vols #62 - Jason Witten Burns Michigan - Rocky Top Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
To be honest Witten never has been an athletic TE. He is just a workaholic & uses his strength & knowledge to his game. He's never been fast. He's always been one of the best route running TE's that has ever played the game.

At UT Witten wasn't that great of a TE. Let's just be honest. We also have to be honest that back then we didn't utilize the TE position very much in the passing game.

Witten changed that for us here at UT. However, he never had any great statistical seasons here at UT. His junior year was his best & he made some great plays to win games including the marathon Arkansas game. Good to see we have an athletic one headed our way. Ethan Wolf is pretty athletic as well.

Yeah, Peyton wasn't that great of a QB either.

Statistically, Witten didn't really overwhelm at the position. He was mainly used in blocking as UT didn't utilize the TE that well during his years there. One of the greatest TEs in the NFL........pretty great considering that he was promised in recruitment to play defensive end and that's where he played initially until they had to move him due to injuries

Statistically, Witten didn't really overwhelm at the position. He was mainly used in blocking as UT didn't utilize the TE that well during his years there. One of the greatest TEs in the NFL........pretty great considering that he was promised in recruitment to play defensive end and that's where he played initially until they had to move him due to injuries

Stats mean jack in Fulmer's offense, it was obvious Witten was a special talent. Sorry he didn't "overwhelm" you.

Stats mean jack in Fulmer's offense, it was obvious Witten was a special talent. Sorry he didn't "overwhelm" you.

Only talking stats bub which I even commented that it was due to the offense we were running. I didn't say that he didn't "overwhelm" me......he's one of my favorite Vols of all time

I got a really good idea, let's let someone state THEIR opinion on here and then let's all jump down their throats for it cause we don't all agree in OUR opinion that they are correct. Who's with me? Heck a few of us can even join together and be Internet bully's! It's cool cause we can hide behind our monitors and act tough.

He mentioned the ARK game fwiw.

I don't agree, JW was very athletic and fast for his size. Wasn't used enough as a pass catcher but no TE usually is. He made plays when he was called on and proved to be one of the greatest at the position.

It was 2007 and Witten may have lost a step since then but I was stationed in Hawaii and went to the pro- bowl skill challenge Witten was the only tight end competing in the speed catch challenge. Ten passes thrown at the receivers over 50 yards he was a little bit slower than NFL wrs but caught all ten and was only off the time by a few seconds

Everybody's "the next" X, or better than X in some specific way. This is a tribute to the standard, in this case Witten, and pretty much meaningless otherwise.

As far as the underutilized knock, that's not the way I remember it. The big complaint was that TE's were underutilized when they didn't get as many touches as Witten. And I say Witten got touches because he earned them, not because of some master plan.

I got a really good idea, let's let someone state THEIR opinion on here and then let's all jump down their throats for it cause we don't all agree in OUR opinion that they are correct.

Get off your high horse - Mr. Bolony didn't say "IMO Witten wasn't that great". He stated factually that Witen "wasn't that great of a TE" and "never has been an athletic TE" which are both ignorant statements.

FYI-Hop on a VOL forum and say one of their all time greats wasn't great nor athletic and you get what's coming your way?

Here's an opinion - of all the TE's I've seen play at UT, the most physically gifted of them appeared to me to be Dustin Moore with Witten next in line. Witten certainly maximized his talent whereas Moore got off track and we never saw his best.

Last edited:

You're ignorant and obviously never saw Witten play at UT as he's freakishly fast for his size. Instead of posting ignorant BS, educate yourself - go on youtube and watch his game against Michigan.

Guys! I posted again to clarify that original statement. I didn't mean he wasn't a great TE. I said his stats showed that he wasn't a great TE. Like many others have stated, he was used as a blocker more than receiving most of the time until his junior season anyhow. His junior season he still didn't put up great stats while at UT.

Listen, I live 30 minutes from Witten's home stomping grounds in Elizabethton. I went to watch him play quite a few games in high school. He was a good TE at Elizabethton but was an even better DE.

UT decided to try him at TE after evaluating his skills as a freshman to determine his best position. Obviously, that ended up being the right decision.

Maybe I need to go back & totally edit my original post on this or just ask for it to be removed. People are going ape you know what crazy over a wrongly used word.

Witten is my favorite football player of all time period. That includes the NFL playing with my Cowboys. I have him as my desktop background photo at all times.

I have him as my Windows bootup screen. Why would I want to say false or negative things about him? Good grief folks! :eek:hmy:

Here is his stats to prove that while Witten was a great TE at UT he didn't have great statistical numbers. That's all I was trying to say: Jason Witten Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkenvol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82_VOL_83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCat204 View Post

Guys! I want to say false or negative things about him Good grief folks! :eek:hmy:

You see, a false copy and paste proves that sometimes folks pick and choose words / only hear what they want to hear.

You see, a false copy and paste proves that sometimes folks pick and choose words / only hear what they want to hear.

Go play in the yard somewhere. I didn't post anything false buddy. I went back & edited my original post to CLARIFY(do you know what that word means?) what I meant.

All I had to do was add a couple words to a certain sentence in that post. You are going way overboard dude! It's people like you that make these boards a nightmare! :eek:hmy:

Wow that's high praise. I can see him being a good special teams addition this year and then he can hopefully take over Ethan's role after he leaves.
Actually its not really high praise. Jason Witten is a surefire Hall of fame Tight end.. not once in his career has athletic been used to describe him as a superlative. Compared to say a Mark Bavaro would be be athletic? sure.

IF someone says an incoming QB is more Athletic than Peyton that is not saying much. Notice in the article he mentions Witten "worked" his way up. He was no slouch lets not get it twisted. but in the classic athletic measurables, Witten was average at best. It was always about the total package for him. Blocking catching route running knowing the game and being fast enough and strong as an OX.

Get off your high horse - Mr. Bolony didn't say "IMO Witten wasn't that great". He stated factually that Witen "wasn't that great of a TE" and "never has been an athletic TE" which are both ignorant statements.

FYI-Hop on a VOL forum and say one of their all time greats wasn't great nor athletic and you get what's coming your way?

Here's an opinion - of all the TE's I've seen play at UT, the most physically gifted of them appeared to me to be Dustin Moore with Witten next in line. Witten certainly maximized his talent whereas Moore got off track and we never saw his best.

Get off my high horse? Lol

I've never known of anybody's view of a particular player being fact my friend. Even if you put "let's all be honest" in front of it, it's still his opinion. One even I don't agree with.

Calling a person ignorant for stating his opinion is kinda what got my attn. Talk about high horse! (pot meet kettle)

Haha, heck it don't matter either way. We are here to talk about UT football and as big of a fan base as UT has there's no way in he11 that everybody will agree on...well, anything.

Wat say you, that you and I both get on our high horses and ride away with this bit of comfort, IMO Dustin Moore prob was the most athletic TE we've had and also had great hands too. JW was a workaholic and prob the better blocker and was pretty dawg gone athletic himself. He showed mult times he knew wat to do after the catch as well. Also seems to be a dam fine person and I'm glad he represents UT with class. Yet another position where UT produced a top 3 all time player. All my opinion WV

I saw Witten flat outrun two Michigan defenders in a footrace to the endzone. This was the moment I realized Witten was a freak.

All I know is, Witten's got one of the all time most badass highlight reel plays in football history.

mel-evans-cowboys-eagles-football-philadelphia-pennsylvania-jason-witten.jpg

All I know is, Witten's got one of the all time most badass highlight reel plays in football history.

mel-evans-cowboys-eagles-football-philadelphia-pennsylvania-jason-witten.jpg

That photo right there used to be my avatar on just about every forum that I'm a member of. I just changed from that mostly Vols avatars recently because of UT football not too far away.

BTW, for the ones on here that don't like me/others bashing PFF(Pro Football Focus) do you know they have Witten ranked as the 24th best TE in NFL football? That's a disgrace & one of the many more reasons they are not reliable at all.

Last edited:
Go play in the yard somewhere. I didn't post anything false buddy. I went back & edited my original post to CLARIFY(do you know what that word means?) what I meant.

All I had to do was add a couple words to a certain sentence in that post. You are going way overboard dude! It's people like you that make these boards a nightmare! :eek:hmy:

Well, I was actually defending your position. I probably won't do that again. Carry on.

VN Store

Back