Matt Painter: “You know what you’re getting. It’s tackle football.”

Did you see Ashworth get contacted in the arm/chest by JJJ while he was setting a screen? While Ashworth was on the ground he starts choking himself, and then whines to the ref about the red mark on his neck that he himself created. It was unreal.
JJJ absolutely destroyed that pick but he didn’t touch the guy’s neck. I thought he must be complaining about whiplash which would have been understandable.

Already priming the refs 24 hours in advance to help him out. Loser coach. Just like Jon Scheyer last year. Losing a bit of respect for him. Didn’t think he was such a whiner.

I know Barnes won't do it, but when the media asks him about this Painter comment, I hope he says, " What a little b!tch". I want this win more than any Vols win since 2010, against Mich. St. Now I want it, even more.

He’s such a tool… pulled this str8 from the 3rd drawer of his Toolbox. Haven’t tackled anybody this yr. Not our fault if dudes feel a shoulder bump in their throat.

Painter knows exactly how to work the officials. He saw how Jay Bilas whining after last year’s Duke game changed how the FAU game was officiated. He’s setting the narrative a day in advance so the officials will call us for a bunch of hand checks and make sure we can’t touch Edey.
I doubt that the commentary of Jay Bilas affected the FAU game in any way. It is more likely that a new crew just called the game differently. Hell, it’s hard for a crew to maintain consistent calls from one half to another.

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
Already priming the refs 24 hours in advance to help him out. Loser coach. Just like Jon Scheyer last year. Losing a bit of respect for him. Didn’t think he was such a whiner.

Funny that a guy with Lurch on the team is complaining about physical play before the game starts.

I don’t mind Painter as much as others , tbh. I don’t like he said that, but we know what it is and Barnes said something about how half the fouls called in Maui wouldn’t have been called on this tournament. Both were likely doing the same thing, Barnes was doing it with more tact/class/honesty. There are some coaches that are really easy to dislike, guys like Hurley bros, Oats, Wade, etc. Never found Painter to be one of them. I don’t like him( I only like our coach) , but I don’t despise him like I do others.

Last edited:
Let’s hope they don’t call it like they did in Maui. Purdue shot 48 free throws and there was a foul ever 30 seconds basically. We have a zero percent chance of winning if that happens again.
Yep. And it was a ”foulfest” for the first 12 minutes of the second half but after fouling pretty much every other possession for the first 12 minutes, miraculously Purdue had ZERO fouls called on them the last 8 minutes of the game while UT had 10 called on them. Over that span, Purdue shot 19 FTs and UT shot ZERO. If the game is called like that again, we lose for sure.

Painter knows exactly how to work the officials. He saw how Jay Bilas whining after last year’s Duke game changed how the FAU game was officiated. He’s setting the narrative a day in advance so the officials will call us for a bunch of hand checks and make sure we can’t touch Edey.

i’ve no idea if Barnes counter punched Painter’s comments,but if he didn’t then that’s on him.

Funny thing is we play great D most of the time but it’s not like we’re overly physicAl by any stretch.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Matt Painter is one of the most punchable guys in college hoops. To be fair here, though, Rick also tried to plant a seed in his press meeting when he reminded everyone how many fouls were called in Maui. Barnes was classier about it than Painter, but both coaches were pleading their case.

It will probably be a frustrating game. Inevitably, Edey will like get 12 or more free throw attempts because Purdue always gets a friendly whistle against us it seems like. Our guys will just have to be mentally tough enough to fight through that frustration and stay locked in and aggressive on both ends.

My stance remains play Edey straight up man to man, force him away from the basket as best we can, and see if he can carry his team to victory. Don’t let some no name go off for 30 points out of fear of Edey.

Throw Shade at Rick Barnes defense-- like he would have his team play dirty? It all comes back to me now from the whining the last time we played them.

100%

Media wants a Purdue vs UConn final, watch how this game is officiated.

VN Store

Back