Maybe it's too early to pass judgement, but.....

So you are accusing me of what you have done to Dobbs the last three years?
:shakehead:

What have I done to Dobbs?

Great runner? Check

Great, great, great leader and ambassador for the program? Check

Strong arm? Check.

"Gamer"? Check.

Intelligent? Check

Great player in his own way and style? ABSOLUTELY.

Consistently accurate passer? No.

Great at reading defenses? No.

Deserved to be the starter? Yes. You can go back and check the debates to see who was one of the MOST supportive of Dobbs over Peterman. IIRC, I favored Dobbs in the few threads that involved Riley Ferguson as well. The ONLY time I ever questioned a Dobbs start that I can recall was USCe last year when Jones knew he had had a difficult week in school with very little sleep and insufficient preparation.

I have NEVER been less than willing to give Dobbs credit for the things he did well. I also have criticized Dormady IN DETAIL in several threads you were involved in and if I'm not mistake in responses directly to you.

You transfer all responsibility to QD and refuse to see any of the other causes for the problems... even though the coaches have clearly said missed assignments by the WR's is a problem. Jones even went as far as to say that one of QD's problems is that he's trying to compensate for those mistakes.

Last edited:
You will experience many Vol Spring And Fall football practices where you hear about all of these GREAT changes that our staff has made.
And there will be all kinds of stories written on how such and such player and whosits this or that has really improved or come back strong from injury and how we are KILLING IT in the weight room.
How we have incredible depth in so many places despite always having the youngest roster ever and toughest schedule ever.
Our Qbs are extremely mobile and can throw it 90 yards, or so we are told. All of them are killing it in practice.
Same with our secondary. Tons better.
Now knows how to turn their heads.
Won't get beat anymore on the long ball.

Then , the season starts and:
We have two concerning lackluster wins before Florida.
Players with PREVIOUS injuries surface. Are now out.
Several other very important starters get hurt tying their shoes while crossing the street and are out for season.

But, still, there's hope vs Florida.
The Gators look to be very vulnerable and subpar in their first two games.
Several rapists, serial killers, etc. on suspension.
Then, we find a million ways to lose to Gators.
Terrible execution. Worse coaching moves. Sadness. :cray:

Then, word seeps out of campus that there is dissension and has been all during camp on Team whatever hell #.
Players hate Butch.
Former players hate Butch
Big donors hate Butch.
Your Momma and them now hate Butch. Bless his heart.
How, there was a lot of talk that this or that such and such assistant coach here or player group there have a dysfunctional room, can't coach me up and players are really underperforming, not that athletic, slow of foot and mind, smoked too much dope, hit their teammates at the dorm or roommates off campus, screwed the wrong girls possibly without permission.

How our qbs are statues with cement shoes.
Our oline again just not living up.
Our DBs still lost in translation.
SEC Network say Vols not a physical team - AGAIN.
Not a well coached team - AGAIN.
Booger flicks a booger while discussing our East chances.

Our fan base goes apoplectic over another Gator loss:
How Butch is MAC level only.
Not a smart individual.
Has lost the team.
Needs to go.
How much is his buyout?
Visions of Gruden, Kelly, Mullen, etc. Blah blah blah.

Sigh.

Being a VFL ain't easy.
Why can't I quit you my demon mistress- UT football.
You are slowly killing me. :thud:

Bravo, sir.

....anyone else disappointed in the job that Mike Canales has done with the quarterbacks?

I'm not a fan of the hire, but Dormady has been in the program without a QB coach going into his 3rd year. Even the best QB coach would only be able to get so much improvement out of him in one spring and fall camp.

It's early, but QD has a lot of problems with footwork. I understand this is his first year starting and he needs to adjust to live games, but he should still have the fundamentals down. He throws off his back foot way too much, I think he's afraid to hurt his leg with the brace on it. He has no presence within the pocket or ability to see the rush. He has not shown the ability to use his footwork to escape the rush or roll out to buy more time. He gets nervous and just throws it or let's the defender make contact. I think he plays scared.

He is being too careless with the ball and throwing into double and triple coverage. He's had a lot of poorly thrown balls. He's missing guys across the middle and wide open WRs, plus throwing behind WRs. So I am also concerned about his field vision and ability to see down the field. It seems like he picks the WR he wants to throw to before the play and if that guy is not open, he checks it down for a 2 yard pass without scanning the field for other open WRs. He's not looking too good or improving.

I get the argument that he is a new starter, but how long should we wait until we try JG? QD has had 3 games now and has not impressed me once. He has flashes of being great, but he's not consistent. 5 TDs/4 INTs is not going to do it for us.

It's early, but QD has a lot of problems with footwork. I understand this is his first year starting and he needs to adjust to live games, but he should still have the fundamentals down. He throws off his back foot way too much, I think he's afraid to hurt his leg with the brace on it.
OK. Prove it. I'm not saying you can't. I am saying that I have looked for it and have not seen him doing what you say except in situations where he has pressure... when pretty much all QB's throw off their back foot.

He has no presence within the pocket or ability to see the rush. He has not shown the ability to use his footwork to escape the rush or roll out to buy more time. He gets nervous and just throws it or let's the defender make contact. I think he plays scared.
Again. Prove it. We have 3 games and plenty things to look at. If it is a pervasive problem then you should be able to put together 10 or so examples out of his 60+ throws.

If true... then they should probably get JG ready. "Happy feet" seldom get better. It is a natural response that takes much longer than UT has in-season to correct.

He is being too careless with the ball and throwing into double and triple coverage.
He has on a few occasions. But again, if this is a pervasive problem you should have 10 or so examples of him doing it, right? I mean a handful of times... don't really prove that, do they? MOST CFB QB's throw into coverage a few times per game. The definition of a 50/50 ball is that you throw to a covered receiver. If you aren't going to throw to covered receivers vs teams like UF and Bama... you aren't going to throw. (Like UT did the last time they went to the Swamp). They play tight man and then respond quickly when the ball is thrown.

I remember two or 3 times vs GT that Dormady literally "threw into coverage" in a bad way. I haven't rewatched UF... just can't stomach it yet... but there were a couple of occasions where he did in that game. The worst was on the play where UF got the taunting penalty.

He's had a lot of poorly thrown balls. He's missing guys across the middle and wide open WRs, plus throwing behind WRs. So I am also concerned about his field vision and ability to see down the field. It seems like he picks the WR he wants to throw to before the play and if that guy is not open, he checks it down for a 2 yard pass without scanning the field for other open WRs. He's not looking too good or improving.
Again, if it is the huge problem then you have obviously looked at those plays considering the play and responsibility of all of the other players on the field... and concluded that QD's issues as you describe them are the problem. If that is true then it should be VERY easy to cite specific plays or post the video proving it.

I get the argument that he is a new starter, but how long should we wait until we try JG? QD has had 3 games now and has not impressed me once. He has flashes of being great, but he's not consistent. 5 TDs/4 INTs is not going to do it for us.
And there is the crux of it. You could have dispensed with the other stuff and just admitted that you want JG to play.

The coaches let these guys compete for the job for 8 months. It was pretty obvious to me watching the O&W game that QD was much more advanced in running the O. He managed it well and was given more of it to manage. LWSVOL posted on here a few days ago that the competition was never as close as they publicly suggested. A reporter allowed to see closed practice portions slipped up and wrote that QD was the starter 2 weeks before GT.

There are 11 moving parts in an offense. What YOU need to judge Dormady on is NOT the plays where others don't do their jobs well... but the plays where they DO. Because just inserting JG... will not cause Jack Jones to suddenly not get run over by DT's. It won't keep Palmer from giving up on a timing slant route. It won't keep receivers from dropping catchable balls.

On a particular play vs UF, UT had something special set up. They caught UF in a particular look and went max protect with a two man seam route. At the end of the play... you can clearly see that MC and Palmer had drifted toward each other allowing UF's D to get the upper hand. Do you REALLY think adding a QB who really doesn't understand what's going on either... will fix things like that? And that's just one of the obvious ones.

Alot more tough defenses on the schedule

Lots of mistakes to coach up from the UF game. That's the test, right? If they can't do it or make the right personnel decisions... they deserve to be fired, right?

I would rather have not seen that final heave and have had UT correcting things after a tough win... but that's not what they have. They have a team that should let them work out those problems... then they have the media favorite to win the SECE.

Do their jobs... UT beats UGA at home next week. I may change my mind after tonight... but I'm not a believer in UGA yet. The ND win doesn't impress me much considering the state of that program. They've played two scrimmages otherwise.

SJT18, I appreciate your attention to detail and asking me to prove my points. I'm not going to go back and watch all the games to win an argument on an internet forum. I do not have the time or desire to do that. I have watched every second of every game and those have been my observations. I get your point in that QD has thrown 90+ balls and completed about 57% of them, so for it to be a major problem it should predominate those balls. I do not have those statistics to give you.

In my observations, which may be completely opposite to yours, I noticed in both GT and Florida where Dormady missed WRs over the middle and threw quite a few balls off his back foot. In GT, I specifically remember him missing Byrd across the middle and where he threw behind a couple WRs on slants. In Florida, he threw a lot of bad balls. On the fluke play where Richmond was out as WR, he missed Smith wide open. Also, the Callaway tipped INT was a ball thrown high where Dormady did not plant and throw. Throughout the game there was guys open down the middle that he just did not throw it to or see. In the ISU game, he threw the ball straight into their LBs arms who dropped it and then the INT in the end zone. Currently, I'm watching the UMass game and he has already thrown off his back foot on the Palmer deep throw and the missed Wolfe throw to the 5 yard line, that's just the ones I've seen today. He also had the fumble. As far as his pocket presence, that might be something I was more nitpicking about, it just appeared to me in the GT and UF games he rushed things due to the pressure and could not do much to extend the play.

I want QD to do well and hopefully he learns and grows so I can eat crow. He has flashes of being great, I just wish he would plant and throw more. But one thing I want to make clear is that I'm not advocating for one QB to play over the other. I'm simply asking that the best QB play. I've not seen what happened in practice. So there may be that big of a talent difference that makes QD the easy decision for the coaches, but the general public has not gotten to see JG enough to form their own opinions. Plus it's rough to see how they are forcing QD to run the read option when he's not suited for it. It seems they could adjust the offense to his strengths. Now the coaches are the ones who get to make the decisions, but Butch should not have made it seem like a QB race and that both would play if it was that apparent to him.

Last edited:
I am willing to give Dormady the benefit of the doubt, as he has only played 3 full games in his career. His mistakes are correctable (throwing off back foot, into double coverage, etc.)

Can we please stop with the whole three career starts excuse cause it's old, there's no excuse for a guy whose in the third year of a program to look this bad.

There are true freshmen in the SEC with less career starts and less time in a system doing better than QD

So either he straight up is no good or the coaches are doing a piss poor job at developing players

Bama has not developed a QB since Saban has been there.

Their QBs all get vastly overrated because of all the talent around them.

They ask their QBs to manage the game. That's it. Hurts is the exception, as they seem to rely on one or two splash plays a game from him.

We don't have that luxury. Mainly, because that requires a sound scheme and sound execution, which Butch isn't capable of.

Bama develops QBs to "become managers" of the game. You are right that they don't develop players mechanics because the players should already be that good. Most of Bamas success is the play calling.

What have I done to Dobbs?

Great runner? Check

Great, great, great leader and ambassador for the program? Check

Strong arm? Check.

"Gamer"? Check.

Intelligent? Check

Great player in his own way and style? ABSOLUTELY.

Consistently accurate passer? No.

Great at reading defenses? No.

Deserved to be the starter? Yes. You can go back and check the debates to see who was one of the MOST supportive of Dobbs over Peterman. IIRC, I favored Dobbs in the few threads that involved Riley Ferguson as well. The ONLY time I ever questioned a Dobbs start that I can recall was USCe last year when Jones knew he had had a difficult week in school with very little sleep and insufficient preparation.

I have NEVER been less than willing to give Dobbs credit for the things he did well. I also have criticized Dormady IN DETAIL in several threads you were involved in and if I'm not mistake in responses directly to you.

You transfer all responsibility to QD and refuse to see any of the other causes for the problems... even though the coaches have clearly said missed assignments by the WR's is a problem. Jones even went as far as to say that one of QD's problems is that he's trying to compensate for those mistakes.

Bravo, sir.

Why are you bravoing lies?

SJT you still claim Worley is a better passer than Dobbs. You claim QD is a better passer by a mile. You still claim that despite the evidence. You won't give Dobbs credit for passing skills but will give it to qbs who pass the ball worse with worse results.

VN Store

Back