MD WR Dont'e Thornton Jr

Unless we have a bunch of guys enter the portal and can take 8-9 guys I don’t think we take a WR unless it’s someone like Worthy, Lovett, or even Barrion Brown (pipe dream I know). We need an OT, TE, LB, Edge, DL, and 2 corners and potentially a QB before an X or Z receiver if Keyton and Bru are both staying
Well we already have 2 Jimmies in the portal (hopefully we keep the Joe) and JWT is rumored to be leaving as well. I’m sure there will be several more at other positions down the depth chart.

The one I heard a bit of rumor on that I 💯 don’t want to lose is James Pierce

Reactions: LittleVol
Well we already have 2 Jimmies in the portal (hopefully we keep the Joe) and JWT is rumored to be leaving as well. I’m sure there will be several more at other positions down the depth chart.

Absolutely CANNOT lose Pearce.

JMO he is the most talented player on the team. Cannot believe he didn't play more.
He's the type of player that could play standing up all the time.

He's athletic enough to play most positions on defense. He was often one of the first dudes down there on kickoff and he's 6'6 232. He can really run.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see WR as a big position of need to target in the portal. Sure they're flashy and exciting, but I think our staff will prioritize other positions (TE, defense, maybe RB) and roll with what they've got at WR. To play WR here, you've got to block well and understand the full system, and I think they like the younger guys they have in the program who haven't necessarily seen the field yet, but have been learning and are ready to step up.
UPDATE: with today's news of Calloway and Holiday leaving, WR has become a bigger need than it was yesterday. Decisions from Keyton and Hyatt will determine just how many we need.

After all the work we did to get Pearce qualified…..

Reactions: Tnfan41
So far that appears to be false. He hasn't said it himself YET and he's not showing in the portal. The fact he was posting for support for their NIL group, which may have the cringiest name yet, tells me he's staying.

Welp Wease ended up entering anyway it appears.

This kid is a huge talent
Based on? I'd say he's got tools and potential, but he's 5th on the oregon team in receiving. 17 catches for 366 yards isn't what I'd call "huge" numbers. He did, however, average over 20 yards per catch so there's that.

Reactions: WxVol
Based on? I'd say he's got tools and potential, but he's 5th on the oregon team in receiving. 17 catches for 366 yards isn't what I'd call "huge" numbers. He did, however, average over 20 yards per catch so there's that.
There’s a difference between talent and production. The kid is 6’5” and runs a 4.5, he averaged over 20 yards per catch last year like you said, and he is just going to be a junior. His career has been similar to Hyatts so far(Hyatt going into this season of course). He has the talent he just has to put it all together. Just like Hyatt. My money is on the kid putting it all together under our coaches, and once he does other teams better watch out. A kid with his size running with 4.5 speed is something special.

There’s a difference between talent and production. The kid is 6’5” and runs a 4.5, he averaged over 20 yards per catch last year like you said, and he is just going to be a junior. His career has been similar to Hyatts so far(Hyatt going into this season of course). He has the talent he just has to put it all together. Just like Hyatt. My money is on the kid putting it all together under our coaches, and once he does other teams better watch out. A kid with his size running with 4.5 speed is something special.

On this note, Javonta Payton was much better at UT than at Miss State. And Miss State has a much more similar offense to us.

JaVonta Payton College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Not that Javonta is comparable to Thornton, but it does show that Heupel has utilized some WRs better than other teams. And Mike Leach had very good WR production, and Heupel still utilized Payton better.

Fast+big+great hands=talent. Maybe our coaches would be better at tapping into it.

VN Store

Back