Mel Kiper: Jalen Hurd rated the 3rd best RB prospect in the 2017 Draft

Absolutely well stated.

Many college level players are beyond elite but don't do so well in the NFL. Brady Quinn, Jake Locker, Ron Dayne, Steve spurrier, etc etc...

We have no clue what any of the current NCAA players are going to do in the NFL and who cares. Right now these guys are elite (McCaffrey, Cook, etc).

You guys kill me with the elite label. My elites are Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Tony Dorsett, Cobb Webb, Jamal Lewis, guys like that. Let's see what college careers some of your elites put together before shouting their hosannas! Heck McCaffery has had only one season and Chubb has only put forward one complete season and they are elite? Chubb ≥ Bo and/or Herschel? See how wacky that elite title is for Chubb, McCaffery, et al?

Reactions: 1 person
You guys kill me with the elite label. My elites are Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Tony Dorsett, Cobb Webb, Jamal Lewis, guys like that. Let's see what college careers some of your elites put together before shouting their hosannas! Heck McCaffery has had only one season and Chubb has only put forward one complete season and they are elite? Chubb ≥ Bo and/or Herschel? See how wacky that elite title is for Chubb, McCaffery, et al?

And? No one is SAYING these guys are better than the ones you quoted, we are saying they are elite RIGHT NOW. So what if McCaffrey is only a Junior. Have you seen his numbers?

McCaffrey had a breakout sophomore season in 2015.[10][11] He broke Barry Sanders' NCAA record of 3,250 all-purpose yards, finishing with 3,864.[12] He ranked second in the nation with 2,019 rushing yards, becoming the first Stanford player to rush for 2,000 in a season. He also set numerous other Stanford records during the season including rushing yards in a game (243)[13] and all-purpose yards in a game (461)[14]

McCaffrey was a consensus All-American and was the Associated Press College Football Player of the Year, Pac-12 Player of the Year and Paul Hornung Award winner.[15][16][17] He also finished second to Derrick Henry in the 2015 Heisman Trophy voting.[18]

During the 2016 Rose Bowl, McCaffrey became the first player to rush for 100 yards (172) and have 100 yards receiving (109) in a Rose Bowl game. Overall he had a Rose Bowl record 368 yards of total offense, breaking the record previously held by Wisconsin’s Jared Abbrederis set in 2012.[19]

And yes, when you break records held by someone named Barry Sanders, you are elite in my book.

I predicted nothing of the sort. I only said it was a possibility. If anything you were the one touting him as a draftable prospect. I was the one who said he wasn't but some team might get fooled by his pro day workout.

Looks like no one was fooled.

P.S. Lynch wasn't significant enough for me to make any sort of prediction about. I said I wasn't a fan. I never said he wouldn't go in the first. Hell around that time people were projecting him as the #1 overall pick. I simply wasn't sold. And I'm still not.

Actually, you very much did say something of the kind. On April 2nd, at 7:08pm, you responded to SCVol333 who was generally saying that due to Randolph's outstanding ProDay performance that some "eyes would be opened" and he said that he thought Randolph would go in the 3rd round.

Your response was, and I quote.....

"No way. 3rd round pick means he would be a top 90 pick. No chance.

With incredible testing on proday, he'll go from undrafted to 5th-6th round draft prospect."

I'm having "technical difficulties" attaching with my iPhone or I'd show you the exact post.

As far as Lynch, iirc, you argued that he wasn't very good, that he played vs poor competition, that he wasn't a top draft pick talent, that Dobbs was a better pro prospect. So while I don't recall what round you may or may not have predicted for him, you made it very clear to those of us who thought he would go in the first round that you thought we were very much wrong.....imagine that.

Actually, you very much did say something of the kind. On April 2nd, at 7:08pm, you responded to SCVol333 who was generally saying that due to Randolph's outstanding ProDay performance that some "eyes would be opened" and he said that he thought Randolph would go in the 3rd round.

Your response was, and I quote.....

"No way. 3rd round pick means he would be a top 90 pick. No chance.

With incredible testing on proday, he'll go from undrafted to 5th-6th round draft prospect."

I'm having "technical difficulties" attaching with my iPhone or I'd show you the exact post.

As far as Lynch, iirc, you argued that he wasn't very good, that he played vs poor competition, that he wasn't a top draft pick talent, that Dobbs was a better pro prospect. So while I don't recall what round you may or may not have predicted for him, you made it very clear to those of us who thought he would go in the first round that you thought we were very much wrong.....imagine that.

Saying someone is a "4th-5th round prospect" isn't me guaranteeing anything. And I'm sure I also said in another post that if Randolph gets drafted it'll be because he fooled some front office with the athletic testing. I distinctly remember getting into a back n forth with you about Randolph NOT playing as fast as he tested. You can reach on that one post to imply something I never said. But I've been clear in my disbelief of Randolph as a legit NFL player.

And on Lynch I never thought he was any good. But I didn't care where he went. NFL teams make stupid 1st round choices with QBs. If Goff can go 1st overall anything is possible.

And FYI I really don't care about where guys get drafted. I care more about my PLAYER EVALUATIONS. If guys who I have pegged as busts become stars, then I'll be humbled. But I've rarely missed. If I say you're a BUST you turn out to be a BUST.

I have a gift.

Last edited:
Saying someone is a "4th-5th round prospect" isn't me guaranteeing anything. And I'm sure I also said in another post that if Randolph gets drafted it'll be because he fooled some front office with the athletic testing. I distinctly remember getting into a back n forth with you about Randolph playing as fast as he tested. You can reach on that one post to imply something I never said. But I've been clear in my disbelief of Randolph as a NFL player.

And on Lynch I thought he would be a BUST. But I didn't care where he went. NFL teams make stupid 1st round choices with QBs. If Goff can go 1st overall anything is possible.

And FYI I really don't care about where guys get drafted. I care more about my PLAYER EVALUATIONS. If guys who I have pegged as busts become stars, then I'll be humbled. But I've rarely missed.

I have a gift.

Kinda like how North fooled you with his athletic testing at the combine?

By the way, you meant to have that post in blue font right?

Kinda like how North fooled you with his athletic testing at the combine?

By the way, you meant to have that post in blue font right?

North flashed greatness on film his freshmen year. Randolph NEVER did.

That is the difference. Randolph never flashed to me as anything but a below average SEC player.

Saying someone is a "4th-5th round prospect" isn't me guaranteeing anything. And if I cared to search through my post history I'm sure I also said in another post that if Randolph gets drafted it'll be because he fooled some front office with the testing. I may have even been responding to you.

And on Lynch I thought he would be a BUST. But I didn't care where he went. NFL teams make stupid 1st round choices with QBs. If Goff can go 1st overall anything is possible.

And FYI I really don't care about where guys get drafted. I care more about my PLAYER EVALUATIONS. If guys who I have pegged as busts become stars, then I'll be humbled. But I've rarely missed.

I have a gift.

No, what it was is this.....before Randolph ran 4.4 and repped 225 31 times at his pro day you said he (and McNeil) were barely SEC athletes let alone NFL players. Then, after Randolph killed it and proved that your "gift" for assessing athletes was inaccurate, you back pedaled and started hedging your bets....that's why you no longer insisted he was a poor athlete and would go undrafted, and went to saying he was now worthy of being a 5th-6th round "prospect". You were hedging for all you were worth, but it's clear what you meant....you thought that proday performance vaulted him from an udfa to a 5th or 6th rd pick.

That is the difference. Randolph never flashed to me as anything but a below average SEC player.

The guy had TWO decent games as a freshman, and TWO as a sophomore. He was injured the majority of his career and there were rumblings related to his dedication and commitment. In what dimension does that equate to a 4th round projection? If he ran a 4.65 and had a 30 inch vertical you wouldn't be singing the same praises.

North had all the potential in the world to be a great player but just didn't make it happen. No shame in admitting he wasn't what you thought he was.

North made 3 outstanding catches as a freshman and didn't do ish again for the remaining 2.5 seasons of his Vols career, other than live in the training room nursing injury after injury.

Meanwhile, Randolph was quarterbacking the back end of our defense during North's nonproductive tenure at Tennessee while steadily racking up enough tackles to be one of the program's all-time top tacklers.

As far as "flashing", I can think of 2 Randolph plays from last year alone....a nice break on the day and outstanding interception vs Bama and an outstanding pass breakup at the goaline to preserve the win vs Georgia.

North made 3 outstanding catches as a freshman and didn't do ish again for the remaining 2.5 seasons of his Vols career, other than live in the training room nursing injury after injury.

Meanwhile, Randolph was quarterbacking the back end of our defense during North's nonproductive tenure at Tennessee while steadily racking up enough tackles to be one of the program's all-time top tacklers.

As far as "flashing", I can think of 2 Randolph plays from last year alone....a nice break on the day and outstanding interception vs Bama and an outstanding pass breakup at the goaline to preserve the win vs Georgia.

We think alike KB :good!:

You're right. Hurd could go #1 ahead of Fournette.

I'll bet you anything he goes before Cook though. Its really bizarre that you are infatuated by an undersized RB who ALREADY has durability questions in college. Kid has red flags all over the place. NFL teams like guys who they can count on. Cook is already having trouble staying on the field against ACC defenders.

What do you think happens when he plays NFL defenders?

And FYI Hurd is plenty explosive. He's as explosive getting to the edge as any RB in his class. Yes that includes Cook and Fournette. He just hasn't shown that home run top end speed.

But his initial explosiveness is stupid. Just watch how fast he runs that 40 at the combine. It'll be faster than North. I'm betting 4.47 or below.

Dude please leave this blog. You have zero true interest in the Vols. You would stop being a fan if we came out the same as last year. Please just leave you waste of space. You spend so much of your time talking with a bunch of people who hate you.

No, what it was is this.....before Randolph ran 4.4 and repped 225 31 times at his pro day you said he (and McNeil) were barely SEC athletes let alone NFL players. Then, after Randolph killed it and proved that your "gift" for assessing athletes was inaccurate, you back pedaled and started hedging your bets....that's why you no longer insisted he was a poor athlete and would go undrafted, and went to saying he was now worthy of being a 5th-6th round "prospect". You were hedging for all you were worth, but it's clear what you meant....you thought that proday performance vaulted him from an udfa to a 5th or 6th rd pick.

Because NFL teams make a lot of dumb decisions. Putting up pro day numbers fools teams constantly. I will still say today I wouldn't have been surprised if he went 5th or 6th round.

I personally NEVER would have drafted him that high. But pro day warriors get drafted every year. See that kid from Germany.

Last edited:
I believe Hurd is drafted before Chubb, however think that Barnett and Sutton go before Hurd.

I think Barnett goes lower than most think and the early mock drafts project. He's not that impressive physically and will struggle at the combine. That might cause him to slide.

I think Hurd and Sutton go higher. Especially Sutton who will be the #1 corner picked and a top 10 pick.

Sutton is our safest prospect. He's flawless. Great film. Great athleticism that will test well. And great off the field.

Last edited:
I think Barnett goes lower than most think and the early mock drafts project. He's not that impressive physically and will struggle at the combine. That might cause him to slide.

I think Hurd and Sutton go higher. Especially Sutton who will be the #1 corner picked and a top 10 pick.

Sutton is our safest prospect. He's flawless. Great film. Great athleticism that will test well. And great off the field.

That is a good view of things I wasn't even thinking about the combine performances..but that is a big part of things lol

So you dont think Chubb or McCaffery should be labeled a elite because they only had 1 breakout year, yet you state a guy that had 1392 yds for his career (mostly in one year), another that had 2360 yds (mostly in one year), and lastly one with 2677 yds are elite. See any flaw with your thinking?

grZAZ.gif

Because NFL teams make a lot of dumb decisions. Putting up pro day numbers fools teams constantly. I will still say today I wouldn't have been surprised if he went 5th or 6th round.

I personally NEVER would have drafted him that high. But pro day warriors get drafted every year. See that kid from Germany.

But wait a minute. You should love you some "workout warriors". Why, doesn't that show how athletic and talented they are which, according to you is everything. God knows you couldn't care less about a player's on-field production. See Robert Nkemdiche.

But wait a minute. You should love you some "workout warriors". Why, doesn't that show how athletic and talented they are which, according to you is everything. God knows you couldn't care less about a player's on-field production. See Robert Nkemdiche.

Love it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 54
So you dont think Chubb or McCaffery should be labeled a elite because they only had 1 breakout year, yet you state a guy that had 1392 yds for his career (mostly in one year), another that had 2360 yds (mostly in one year), and lastly one with 2677 yds are elite. See any flaw with your thinking?
Just quick and off the top of my head wanted to throw a dash of orange into the elite area and granted the ones I ticked off don't stack up. But my logic and thinking is not flawed, Chubb & McCaffrey each have one complete season on their resumes and some posters fall all over themselves declaring them "elite." No way no how with one season folks, fanboy away all you want but the body of work is not there and those promoting that have flawed processes floating around in their lobes. Chubb &/or McCaffrey ≥ Walker or Jackson? Hell to the naw!! Bo Jackson ≥ Emmitt Smith in the NFL? Hello to the naw!! See how that body of work thing plays out?

Workout warrior + looking athletic on film = me likey

Workout warrior + looking unathletic on film = no go

Randolph tested well but doesn't play with the level of athleticism that he tested on the field. Nkemdiche does.

That's the difference.

Workout warrior + looking athletic on film = me likey

Workout warrior + looking unathletic on film = no go

Randolph tested well but doesn't play with the level of athleticism that he tested on the field. Nkemdiche does.

That's the difference.

Nkemdiche was allergic to the opposing team's offensive backfield for 3 years at OleMiss. You've criticized Adoree Jackson as not being very good in college and living off his highschool star rating. If you're consistent, you've gotta say the exact same thing about Nkemdiche. The guy is a phenomenal athlete, but his play/production nowhere near matches his physical abilities. That's the primary reason why, despite his athleticism, that he dropped so far and barely snuck into the first round of the draft.

Nkemdiche was allergic to the opposing team's offensive backfield for 3 years at OleMiss. You've criticized Adoree Jackson as not being very good in college and living off his highschool star rating. If you're consistent, you've gotta say the exact same thing about Nkemdiche. The guy is a phenomenal athlete, but his play/production nowhere near matches his physical abilities. That's the primary reason why, despite his athleticism, that he dropped so far and barely snuck into the first round of the draft.
Don't debate with him he has a gift

VN Store

Back