Memphis coach Penny Hardaway!

Pearl was (even before he got to UT) and still is a ticking time bomb in more than 1 way.

He was gonna pay the man at some point and maybe more than once.

For all of you too lazy to investigate before opining, let me list a few facts of this case. I do so hoping you will see the ridiculousness all our universities abide and are bullied by. We lost the best coach in our history to one of these stupid rules. It's hard to swallow, but if we can't support what this University, coach and player are trying to do, then no fair complaining the next time it happens to us...and it will happen to us.

1 Hardaway gave 1 million dollars in 2008 to build the UM Hall of Fame. He did so out of respect for his basketball coach and, I'm sure, had a pile of sneaker money that needed a tax break.

2 Hardaway paid moving expenses for James Wiseman's mom to move from Nashville to Memphis in 2017. Her son and daughter were living in Memphis at the time.

3 Hardaway was a high school basketball coach at that time. Tubby Smith had just finished his first of two years as Memphis' basketball coach at that time as well. Penny was not a coaching prospect nor was Wiseman a player prospect when this money changed hands.

4 All the above was disclosed to the NCAA in May 2019 before Wiseman matriculated and Wiseman's amateur status was cleared by the NCAA in written form.

5 The NCAA later notified Memphis they may have made a mistake in this declaration but said they will stand by their original decision to allow him to play.

6 On the day of the first game, the NCAA reneged saying Wiseman's amateur status may be in question after all.

7 Wiseman sued the University and the NCAA to be able to continue to play and won in court.

8 At this time, Wiseman has not been formally declared ineligible.

Memphis' argument is this:
Penny has spent and helped thousand of kids as an icon and a philanthropist.
Penny has not given money to UM in 11 years.
Penny was not employed by UM and Wiseman was not recruited by UM when this transaction occurred.
The NCAA was aware of all this information before Wiseman was a student and declared him eligible TWICE after knowing all this.

My bet is that it will be our "little brother" down the road whose balls make the world better for the rest of our Universities. I wish we had done the same instead being a coward when Bruce got screwed.
Facts

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
I hope he’s eligible and does well. Basketball is better when Memphis is good.
JMO.......

Have to disagree my friend. I like basketball just fine when Memphis State sucks. If they lose every game till the end of time it would be fine with me. Penny just makes me despise the school now!

Wiseman ineligible.

Shocked!
source.gif

Bump. In an interview today, One Cent said his only regret so far at Memphis is the way he handled the Rick Barnes situation. Half hearted apology because he wants the series to resume. And I’m sure he realizes that there is no chance that Barnes plays them again as long as he is at UT. One of the local radio guys said his Knoxville contacts have told him that Barnes was livid over the mess and that it will never happen.

Bump. In an interview today, One Cent said his only regret so far at Memphis is the way he handled the Rick Barnes situation. Half hearted apology because he wants the series to resume. And I’m sure he realizes that there is no chance that Barnes plays them again as long as he is at UT. One of the local radio guys said his Knoxville contacts have told him that Barnes was livid over the mess and that it will never happen.
Saw that this morning. Here's the link. Memphis' Penny Hardaway wishes he'd taken high road with Rick Barnes

Reactions: feathersax
I don’t blame Barnes for ending the series. No reason for UT to roll in the mud with Tiger High. We play in a great conference and draw high profile out of conference games. Nothing but downside to playing Memphis.

VN Store

Back