Mike Leach: PAC 12 mascot battle equals Dooley?

Hey, put down the jug of shine before you start posting. 1. Who the hell was talking to you? 2. I'll bite. You can't say that he hasn't done anything as a head coach when our head coach has won a total of four games vs a non fcs team out of 13. How many times were his teams ranked? He was top five at TTU when the Big 12 really good. He makes losers winners. "He does it in the weak Pack 10". He wins. He doesn't throw games away with his poor coaching and panicked decisions. Maybe he doesn't take them to the top, but our last three hires have had this plane nose down. Consistent winning and is preferred to consistent losing.

First, I don’t need your permission to respond to a post on a message board. Now that you understand that learn how to read. I never said he hasn’t done anything as a head coach. Just stating a few facts that Leach fans don’t like. Such as he hasn’t won championships. Coaches are graded and judged on their abilities to win on the biggest stages. Leach hasn’t even come close. Also, no big time school has hired him.

Let’s look at the programs that have hired HCs is b the past 5 years. UF, OSU, UGA, Miami, FSU, TAMU, LSU, Oregon, UCLA, Texas, PSU, VT and OU. Yet not one hired the proven winner that is Leach. Virtually every one of those schools can outbid WS and it’s not close. Seems odd doesn’t it? Note some will say it’s because Leach is a ADs nightmare. That’s nothing more than a BS excuse.

First, I don’t need your permission to respond to a post on a message board. Now that you understand that learn how to read. I never said he hasn’t done anything as a head coach. Just stating a few facts that Leach fans don’t like. Such as he hasn’t won championships. Coaches are graded and judged on their abilities to win on the biggest stages. Leach hasn’t even come close. Also, no big time school has hired him.

Let’s look at the programs that have hired HCs is b the past 5 years. UF, OSU, UGA, Miami, FSU, TAMU, LSU, Oregon, UCLA, Texas, PSU, VT and OU. Yet not one hired the proven winner that is Leach. Virtually every one of those schools can outbid WS and it’s not close. Seems odd doesn’t it? Note some will say it’s because Leach is a ADs nightmare. That’s nothing more than a BS excuse.
Would it be ok if I said you are both kinda right?

There was another coach that rocked the boat and got blackballed for over a decade by major programs. He made the final 4 this year at Auburn.

Leach sued his former athletic department after they screwed him. That and "old school" athletic directors who still live in 25 years ago are doing the hiring. Mike Leach has had a bigger impact on football than any coach we've had since Neyland. The NFL now has switched over in large part, to the Leach offense. His former players are coaches. His tree has spread far and wide through all levels of football. This is from a story about why Leach is at WSU still while his disciples get jobs all over.

Leach's problem, then and now, is simply that he shoots too straight. Makes for great copy, and no one appreciates that more than yours truly. But no one you know could get away with what the Pirate has said about his employers, either.
More to the point: No one could sue his boss and expect to be welcomed with open arms by his boss's peers.

That's the truth of why Leach is at WSU still. The ego of our current AD who still thinks 1995 football works today. That all you have to do is hire someone from the Saban tree and you'll be great, even though that fails more often than it works.

The same article above makes this point...

The reason they're getting these chances is two-fold: First, Leach's Air Raid offense, which he refined with his mentor, Hal Mumme, has proved to be formidable. Doesn't require five-star athletes, either, which is key, because 99 percent of the best athletes are drawn to a handful of college programs. Didn't help recruiting when NFL types looked down on the players who ran Leach's offense. System quarterbacks, they said. Leach would counter that the NFL had no idea what it was doing with quarterbacks anyway, or else how could JaMarcus Russell be the first pick of a draft and Tom Brady a sixth-rounder?

Now that the NFL is pretty much headed air raid, the opportunity to sell NFL caliber players on the system from the guy who is the architect would have been epic. His supposed recruiting liability (which doesn't exist) would now be a major plus. Pat Mahomes is a product of that system and he is the best QB in the NFL. Right now there are 4 starting NFL QBs that came from the Leach tree.

One of those guys, Baker Mayfield had one P5 offer. Who found him and saw his potential? That would be Mike Leach. But WSU is so far out in the middle of nowhere that Mayfield chose to walk on at Oklahoma and play the Leach system under Riley.

His QB from last year is now starting in the NFL. The guy was a 2 star grad transfer from East Carolina. Passed for almost 5000 yards last season and they went 11-2. Imagine a coach going 11-2 at Vandy, Indiana or Wake Forest. Leach just did the equivalent of that. They just went to Texas and beat Houston, who hired Holgorsen from WVA, another Leach assistant. That same Holgerson who hung nearly half a hundred on Pruitt last year. No defense Leach's team held them to 24, a touchdown less than Oklahoma held them to in week one.

Their 1 star juco transfer QB that Leach found at San Francisco community college is 96-122-1324 yds, 12 touchdowns and 2 ints in his first 3 Div 1 starts. He had 5 career attempts before the first game this year. That's barely less yards than JG's entire 2018 season, same tds and less ints.

I can sure see why people wouldn't want a guy like that here.

Reactions: DeansRedHalo
I'm not sure what alternate universe some people live in but just thought I'd share a little information regarding Washington State's defense under Leach. The past 4 seasons they have had a higher ranked defense than Tennessee. Alex Grinch, their defensive coordinator from 2015 to 2017, is now the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma. So obviously Leach knows enough about football to try and bring in the best possible defensive coordinator that he can.

Also, no big time school has hired him.

He sued his own athletic department and has a history be it wrong or right with player mistreatment from the TTU concussion ordeal with Craig James son. I would imagine that for many places put a squash on his advancement.
But He has publically been linked to several high profile jobs in the past...the UT job. Didn't we try to hire him? Aren't we big time? Auburn interviewed him too. Leach turned them down. Are they big time?
He also won the big 12, went 11-1, was national coach if the year, big 12 coach of the year, was top five in the bcs, but was behind the teams that he beat in the bcs and didn't get to go to a bcs because they could only send two from one conference. Then he pulled a Leach and lost the brown game.

He sued his own athletic department and has a history be it wrong or right with player mistreatment from the TTU concussion ordeal with Craig James son. I would imagine that for many places put a squash on his advancement.
But He has publically been linked to several high profile jobs in the past...the UT job. Didn't we try to hire him? Aren't we big time? Auburn interviewed him too. Leach turned them down. Are they big time?
He also won the big 12, went 11-1, was national coach if the year, big 12 coach of the year, was top five in the bcs, but was behind the teams that he beat in the bcs and didn't get to go to a bcs because they could only send two from one conference. Then he pulled a Leach and lost the brown game.

Again, nothing but excuses. And no we arent a big time program right now and havent been for a long time. So Auburn interviewed him and he turned them down? Well then that says a lot imo. Tells me he doesnt want to compete in the SEC. Because AU could outbid WS easily. Much better recruiting budget and relationships. Mire national exposure. But, that would require him having to play in the SEC and AU has lofty expectations.

I guess us and AU were the only ones who thought of such a great coach huh? Also, was the AU interview after Chizik was fired?

The man wouldn't have got it done here. He has no SEC experience or a ton of ties to proven coaches in the SEC. Pruitt will get it done here. You shall see!

It cracks me up every time someone assumes that he wouldn't get it done in the SEC as a head coach when he has never been given the opportunity. Also, have you seen the list of coaches that we've hired since Fulmer?? Leach has a way better head coaching college resume than Kiffin, Dooley, Lyle, and Pruitt. The fact that some of you scoff at the thought of having him as an HC is laughable, especially after all the coaches that we have gone through since Fulmer left. Don't get me wrong, I want Pruitt to succeed, but we basically hired a guy with no HC experience that is learning on the fly.

Again, nothing but excuses. And no we arent a big time program right now and havent been for a long time. So Auburn interviewed him and he turned them down? Well then that says a lot imo. Tells me he doesnt want to compete in the SEC. Because AU could outbid WS easily. Much better recruiting budget and relationships. Mire national exposure. But, that would require him having to play in the SEC and AU has lofty expectations.

I guess us and AU were the only ones who thought of such a great coach huh? Also, was the AU interview after Chizik was fired?
Hahahaha. You are such a troll. Touche' sir. I will use your posts when I teach logical fallacies. Keep them coming.

Hahahaha. You are such a troll. Touche' sir. I will use your posts when I teach logical fallacies. Keep them coming.

What logical fallacy did I commit? Also, by all means, give the logical explanation as to why Leach would turn down a much, much better coaching opportunity. I will await your response.

The Pac 12 isn't the SEC! Leach can't even make it to the championship game in the PAC 12!!! Urban Meyer went 22-2 his previous 2 years before coaching at UF. Has Leach done anything close to this? Hell No, he hasn't! Leach needs to win a conference title before everyone annoits him as the savior for UT in the TOUGHEST CONFERENCE THERE IS!!!
Sounds like you're a little too wound up.
Doesn't matter, nobody, including you and me can actually predict whether said coach will or will not have success in any league. You have your opinion and I have mine.

What logical fallacy did I commit? Also, by all means, give the logical explanation as to why Leach would turn down a much, much better coaching opportunity. I will await your response.
You are assuming that bigger school prestige equals a better job. Fit, Control, Power, Boosters, all must be considered when taking a coaching job at any level. If you know anything about Auburn, you know that the Boosters meddle about as badly as ours do. Pullman isn't like that. He gets to do it his way. Same as Miami which he was also linked to.

You are assuming that bigger school prestige equals a better job. Fit, Control, Power, Boosters, all must be considered when taking a coaching job at any level. If you know anything about Auburn, you know that the Boosters meddle about as badly as ours do. Pullman isn't like that. He gets to do it his way. Same as Miami which he was also linked to.

Fair enough. So every other big time program that has hired HCs for the past 5-7 years is the exact same way then?

Fair enough. So every other big time program that has hired HCs for the past 5-7 years is the exact same way then?
Some are and some aren't. Nobody said they all were. Not many big-times have hired in the last 5-7. Most have hired people with direct connections though. OSU, Michigan, Miami, Texas, A&M, UGA, all hired people that already coached or played there. It seems like, if possible, it is more about who you know and have been with than anything else.

Pirate would have been so entertaining and brought excitement. JP is a work but I think he'll get a very good defense going and hopefully let the OC run the offense.

Reactions: loosecannon
It cracks me up every time someone assumes that he wouldn't get it done in the SEC as a head coach when he has never been given the opportunity. Also, have you seen the list of coaches that we've hired since Fulmer?? Leach has a way better head coaching college resume than Kiffin, Dooley, Lyle, and Pruitt. The fact that some of you scoff at the thought of having him as an HC is laughable, especially after all the coaches that we have gone through since Fulmer left. Don't get me wrong, I want Pruitt to succeed, but we basically hired a guy with no HC experience that is learning on the fly.

Name one coach that couldn't even win his own division in a P5 conference that has came to the SEC and put his team in the SEC Championship game in the last 27 years. Spurrier coached Duke to a first place tie when there was no conference championship game. You crack me up thinking that a HC that can't even win a division championship in a P5 conference can come to the SEC and get it done!!!

The man wouldn't have got it done here. He has no SEC experience or a ton of ties to proven coaches in the SEC. Pruitt will get it done here. You shall see!

Respectfully disagree. Not saying Pruitt won’t be the man, but Leach has turned around Texas Tech and Wazzou—both not known to be football schools. If you can recruit kids to play at those schools you can succeed anywhere.

Name one coach that couldn't even win his own division in a P5 conference that has came to the SEC and put his team in the SEC Championship game in the last 27 years. Spurrier coached Duke to a first place tie when there was no conference championship game. You crack me up thinking that a HC that can't even win a division championship in a P5 conference can come to the SEC and get it done!!!

What a bizarre qualifier for your statement. But Phil Fulmer had never won a divisional title before arriving here. Tommy Tuberville never won a divisional title at Ole Miss but went 13-0 and won an SEC title at Auburn. Nick Saban won 0 Big 10 titles or shares and won the SECCG within 3 years. Mark Richt, 0, won the SECCG. Les Miles 0 titles at Oklahoma State, won SEC at LSU. Gene Chizik never sniffed a title at Iowa State before winning the SEC title at Auburn. I'm trying to think of coaches that have made the SECCG in the last 27 years who did win a divisional title before they did. Gary Pinkel, Saban at Bama and Spurrier at SC are the only ones I can think of.

Reactions: DeansRedHalo

VN Store

Back