Milton QBR

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like in the 2nd half vs FL after we were down by 20+ points with nothing to lose, coach turned Milton loose and allowed him to throw downfield and over the middle during the comeback attempt, and he did pretty good during that time. Then next game the shackles were back on Milton.
The shackles were on Milton against UTSA because he missed 5 open receivers for likely touchdowns. The coaches forced him to throw above and behind open receivers.

Reactions: TNVOLFN
Agree 100%. The play calling hasn’t made any sense to me at all. I don’t know if they are keeping it bland and conservative because of Joe or because they somehow think it’s a winning strategy. The Florida offensive game plan was atrocious. It seems like they wanted to play it safe without any urgency or taking any chances at all. 30 years of history against Florida suggests that playing scared / ultra conservative never works. Compare our play calling this year vs the Bama game last year with 20 seconds left. It’s night and day. Yes, Hooker was more accurate than Joe, but come on. You don’t need to handcuff Joe this much. Joe has contributed to our lack of scoring but it’s combined with a poor o line, dropped passes and especially poor play calling.
Joe's accuracy at times limits our offensive pass attack to bubble screens. We don't have any coaches over there that want to throw bubble screens all day against AP and UTSA. Trust me on this one.

Read this and then cut the 💩
QBR also takes things a step further. While raw expected points added assigns all credit to the quarterback, QBR does not. QBR discounts the credit assigned to the quarterback depending on how incremental the player actually was. For instance, QBR assigns relatively less credit for the play's outcome on screen passes where the receiver does most of the work, and assigns relatively more credit on plays where the quarterback was facing pressure or made a great throw downfield
It's a little bit of a moot point - as Joe's Passer Efficiency Rating is 58 th and Rattler's is 22 nd. So both his Passer Efficiency Rating and his QBR have him around 10th in the conference.

What is really interesting is that Dillon Gabriel is 5th.

It's a little bit of a moot point - as Joe's Passer Efficiency Rating is 58 th and Rattler's is 22 nd. So both his Passer Efficiency Rating and his QBR have him around 10th in the conference.

What is really interesting is that Dillon Gabriel is 5th.

No, what's REALLY interesting is, that I changed my avatar to Squirrel White so we get good juju

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Agree. They have almost the same completion pct and yards per attempt / yards per completion but Purdy is 2 Tds and 0 picks while Wilson is 1-1. How on earth is Wilson higher? Do they ignore TDS and interceptions?

Actually Wilson’s comp% is 61. While Purdys is 68. Furthering the ridiculousness of the QBR stat. The simple fact is there is no real reliable stat that accurately rates a QB.

It's a combination of Joe being inaccurate, WR not getting open and drops, OL missing vloxks and reads, and the OC play calling. Flow is important to a QB, Joe gets into a flow of the screen passes then tries to switch it up...he needs a flow of comebacks and outs to start, gain confidence the open up the playbook. It feels like the OC is calling g plays scared, hopefully he will get better or maybe JH will take over....Joe played better vs Clemson then he has this season...he did t suddenly stop being that same guy

There’s a difference between being unhappy and running down our starting QB to death in every thread.

It is getting very old and annoying. I'm beginning to think some just like to complain.

It also seems to me that folks don't care about the wins or losses, they only care about being at the top of the stats - we could end this season 14-1 and if our QB is still not the number one QB according to the stats, they will complain. If our offense is not near the top, they will complain. If our defense is not one of the best they will complain.

It takes a team to win a game. Sometimes the offense needs to lift up the defense ... and that was 100% the case in every game last year. Sometimes the defense needs to lift up the offense. Sometimes the QB has to be all that and sometimes the QB just needs to be able to hand off to a RB and let the RB be all that.

Joe's accuracy at times limits our offensive pass attack to bubble screens. We don't have any coaches over there that want to throw bubble screens all day against AP and UTSA. Trust me on this one.

So you have asked them personally what they want to do? They took advantage of what the defense was giving them. Any good coach would do that and use those to open up the middle for the longer pass and run. Good coaches use their personnel to their advantage and take advantage of what the defense is doing. If anything, this season has shown me that the coaches are willing to adapt verses being committed to a set style.

Joe has to be better throwing it down the field . . . but we've also got to be smart enough to recognize that Milton has an ability to deliver those WR screens in a way that most QBs just don't and we're not screening just for the heck of it. In some ways it protects Milton, but effectively handing it off 20 yards away to a playmaker is never a bad thing.

I agree, but when the defense knows what's coming, those sideline screens aren't nearly as effective. I haven't seen one really break contain. What I have seen is Maybe a 30% connection on the long stuff; and most of it is overthrows; misses. I know; Captain Obvious.

Sucking, sucks. No way around it. We suck with Joe
This is not intended to be another Milton sucks post. Just looking at the raw numbers. His current QBR ranking is #63: 2023 College Football Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN. For perspective that is well below many other SEC QBs, including Jalen Milroe at Bama which I find funny because everyone thinks Bama does not have a QB this year. Yet the QB they do not have is 23 places above ours. Just a reminder The formula for this rating involves the number of passing yards, touchdowns, pass completions, interceptions and other actions recorded by the player. The highest possible quarterback rating is 100, while the lowest is zero. I guess for those of you who feel our offense is off even though he shows moments of brilliance you really are correct. His production numbers are not competitive with the rest of the conference.
I love the way you tried to qualify your post and cover yourself and then went on to basically say based on my research Joe sucks. You'll make a good politician.

Reactions: luthervol
The sideline screens are not about breaking containment - they are about moving the chains and taking the 5 to 10 yards the defense is freely giving.

This Tennessee team needs to do what makes them effective at moving the ball. Folks need to STOP comparing them to last year and let them become who they are and need to be to win. If we run, run and then run some more and score less but still win - that should be OKAY.

It is getting very old and annoying. I'm beginning to think some just like to complain.

It also seems to me that folks don't care about the wins or losses, they only care about being at the top of the stats - we could end this season 14-1 and if our QB is still not the number one QB according to the stats, they will complain. If our offense is not near the top, they will complain. If our defense is not one of the best they will complain.

It takes a team to win a game. Sometimes the offense needs to lift up the defense ... and that was 100% the case in every game last year. Sometimes the defense needs to lift up the offense. Sometimes the QB has to be all that and sometimes the QB just needs to be able to hand off to a RB and let the RB be all that.

And some aren't willing to face facts. A successful team needs everyone to "Do Their Job" (coach speak) So when you get in the red zone and miss a wide open post in the end zone, who didn't do their job? Get back to me when Tennessee has only one loss this year. Not happening unless everyone does their job at a high rate of efficiency. Excuse us fans for wanting a smooth running machine; we were spoiled last year; and with possessions limited this year, we know the opportunities to make plays are fewer and need to be taken advantage of. Some of us like a finely tuned, washed & waxed shiny automobile.

Completion percentage - Milton 62 nd - what is it without the bubble screens ?
Rattler 12 th
Actually South Carolina/Rattler throws the bubble screen as much as anyone and Juice Wells was great at getting big gains out of these. If you are gaining over 3+ yards per completion they (coaches) are going to keep using it as a tool if the DBs give a big cushion. Now an incomplete of a Bubble screen IMO is basically like RB fumbling the handoff for a no gain. Cant have that or even under 3 yarders. Then it becomes un-productive. Otherwise its a great tool to use in game plan,

Sorry man. I broke my own rule. Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you on experience. Congrats..you win
Too bad for you he doesn't have the same rule. I don't either btw, I enjoy arguing with idiots, I do it every day in the Zone. Your last 3 posts show me I got my hands full with you if you think Joe is our only issue. That's what you're saying here, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Still not very good. So what’s your point. He is 10th rated out of 14. But it’s the entire teams fault right?

I agree, but when the defense knows what's coming, those sideline screens aren't nearly as effective. I haven't seen one really break contain. What I have seen is Maybe a 30% connection on the long stuff; and most of it is overthrows; misses. I know; Captain Obvious.
Can't argue with that. The defense has to respect the downfield throws or the screens and running game become moot. I don't even care that much about the misses 30 yards down the field. It's when Joe misses the 8-15 yard stuff that makes me crazy. It just kills drives when we don't make the stick throws. I'm afraid he just doesn't process and anticipate well. I refuse to believe that we suddenly can't get receivers open on curls and slants and I honestly can't remember hitting a 10 yard out route yet this year. Last year, Hooker made a living throwing intermediate stuff to Bru when we needed a conversion.

This is not intended to be another Milton sucks post. Just looking at the raw numbers. His current QBR ranking is #63: 2023 College Football Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN. For perspective that is well below many other SEC QBs, including Jalen Milroe at Bama which I find funny because everyone thinks Bama does not have a QB this year. Yet the QB they do not have is 23 places above ours. Just a reminder The formula for this rating involves the number of passing yards, touchdowns, pass completions, interceptions and other actions recorded by the player. The highest possible quarterback rating is 100, while the lowest is zero. I guess for those of you who feel our offense is off even though he shows moments of brilliance you really are correct. His production numbers are not competitive with the rest of the conference.
Yeah, Milroe had a higher rating than Milton had after his Texas game despite throwing 2 INTs resulting in 10 Texas points in a 10 point loss for Alabama. Their formula sucks.

Reactions: HooahVol
So you have asked them personally what they want to do? They took advantage of what the defense was giving them. Any good coach would do that and use those to open up the middle for the longer pass and run. Good coaches use their personnel to their advantage and take advantage of what the defense is doing. If anything, this season has shown me that the coaches are willing to adapt verses being committed to a set style.
You have taken some simplistic and obvious points and tried to throw them like a blanket over one of the problem issues with the offense not clicking and being limited in what they run. And yes, Joe is great a running the bubble screens, handing the ball off, and a few other things. He is a great guy and a great leader. He has not been accurate on either long passes or passes in the middle of the field. He can and needs to be more accurate if we are to be successful.

If your qb is 1 for 8 or 1 for 9 throwing downfield - with a lot of 3 and outs - the bubble screens look like a safer pathway to extending drives and potentially scoring. If Hooker were at qb we would not be throwing as many bubble screens and he would be carrying it a lot on third and fourth and when when running the read option.

VN Store

Back