Mullen’s Offense vs Pruitt’s Defense

TN won four Games in '17, point being? I would disagree that this years UF O'line is more talented than their 2017 line. TN knows what a lack of talent on the O line does to a program. Another point of argument is that Filipe Franks is a liability. Miami exposed his lack of progression. Dude cannot make a play rolling or scrambling left to save his life. That's like a point guard being only able to dribble with one hand. Just my opinion, but I think it is gonna be a long year for the UF defense, the question is, how many times can they bail the offenses out? Saturday's game was the first of many opportunities that bounced UF's way. Interesting stat I heard this morning, UF offense only ran 50 something plays, that isn't gonna fly in the SEC. I expect UT to bring a stronger game to Gainesville and I hope you guys do overlook us because I think Pruitt has this game set in his head as a statement game. Again these are all just my opinions.

Do you think UT’s defense is on the same planet as Miami’s defense, the front seven in particular?

And how do you like the matchup of UF’s DL versus UT’s OL?

So apparently because Butch Jones and Dan Mullen’s careers have not followed the exact same trajectory, there is no comparison.

My point is that both have a similar penchant for style over substance. We just watched a sloppy undisciplined yet talent stocked Florida team try to choke away a game to a Miami team whose offensive line might be worse than some of the sorry units we have fielded in the last few years.

I’m betting Florida fans are happy to have won, but less than thrilled at the product they are seeing on the field right now. I remember the feeling.
Man , for what it's worth . I agree with ya

Do you think UT’s defense is on the same planet as Miami’s defense, the front seven in particular?

UTs defense will interesting to follow over the weeks. I think we re better at LB than we were last year and pending the outcome of Thompsons issues we re a year older and deeper in the secondary.. The DL is replacing a lot of experience that statistically was pretty average.. Would definitely feel better there without the preseason injury and AA clearance issue but they are a ? til proven otherwise.

After Saturday nite I'm more worried about blocking UFs DL than I am the defense being good enough. Recent history is hard to ignore but I cant see UT not being better there. They ll need to be for it to be a game.

If you had no emotional stake in the game, I imagine it had to be like watching multiple train wrecks...the last four minutes in particular.

It was a weird game.
If you didnt look at the stats it just felt like UF outplayed Miami by 2 scores. The early fumbles kept Miami off the canvas.
But late it the game it just felt like Miami was going to find a play. The problem was the QB didnt have a chance.

Ill bite here:
I believe our DL Is on par with Miami, neither are exceptional ( as we saw against Florida last weekend). I think their LB's are more experienced.
Now as for our Online. I do believe that we have more experience than Miami's O Line and I do believe they will better protect our QB than Miami. If Miami could have protected their QB only slightly better they would have beaten UF. ( as well as not fumbled a punt deep in their own territory). I also did not see a large "push" from your Oline, and Franks looked mediocre.
So my answer to you Wright is that I do think our Online will be better than Miami's even if only minimally. That would have been enough to beat you last weekend. If your O line performs to the level of last week, I think we could give you some trouble.
And Im not buying " they will be up for UT", the rivalry and hatred doesn't get any stronger than Miami (ask your band leader).
In short I honestly believe UF is GROSSLY overrated, and is in fact very beatable. My biggest concern in truth is getting over the mental block that is Florida.
I do not expect to win for that reason only ( call it BVS), but I would not sleep too soundly. Miami demonstrated that Florida is not as strong as previously thought. I do expect to bring a better fight to the game.

Ill bite here:
I believe our DL Is on par with Miami, neither are exceptional ( as we saw against Florida last weekend). I think their LB's are more experienced.
Now as for our Online. I do believe that we have more experience than Miami's O Line and I do believe they will better protect our QB than Miami. If Miami could have protected their QB only slightly better they would have beaten UF. ( as well as not fumbled a punt deep in their own territory). I also did not see a large "push" from your Oline, and Franks looked mediocre.
So my answer to you Wright is that I do think our Online will be better than Miami's even if only minimally. That would have been enough to beat you last weekend. If your O line performs to the level of last week, I think we could give you some trouble.
And Im not buying " they will be up for UT", the rivalry and hatred doesn't get any stronger than Miami (ask your band leader).
In short I honestly believe UF is GROSSLY overrated, and is in fact very beatable. My biggest concern in truth is getting over the mental block that is Florida.
I do not expect to win for that reason only ( call it BVS), but I would not sleep too soundly. Miami demonstrated that Florida is not as strong as previously thought. I do expect to bring a better fight to the game.

Solid take, but who tried to sell you on the “they will be up for UT” angle?

Solid take, but who tried to sell you on the “they will be up for UT” angle?
It was our side and the battered vols.
Florida is our constant thorn. I just hope for a good game, to be competitive, and no injuries for either side. As much as I hate UF, I respect them. I enjoy this incredibly one sided rivalry.

UK was a ranked team last year who also finished with 10 wins and Missouri was 8-5. And you think those are bad losses for Mullen?

I think you're both right for what it's worth. I think Mullen is a very good coach, but losing to KY in football is bad anytime, any year, in any situation if you're FL (or TN for that matter)

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Or Brian Maurer?
I love Maurer’s potential/upside. Have only heard for the last few weeks that Shrout is the backup at this point. That said, you could be correct as Shrout could come in to replace JG and would likely be decapitated in short order as well behind this OL so.....

It was our side and the battered vols.
Florida is our constant thorn. I just hope for a good game, to be competitive, and no injuries for either side. As much as I hate UF, I respect them. I enjoy this incredibly one sided rivalry.

Gotcha...I thought you attributed that take specifically to me since you quoted my post.

The only certainty I can take from the Miami game is, Franks will have our fan base in therapy by the first week of November.

I love Maurer’s potential/upside. Have only heard for the last few weeks that Shrout is the backup at this point. That said, you could be correct as Shrout could come in to replace JG and would likely be decapitated in short order as well behind this OL so.....

Depth chart is out KB....

2a and 2B.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
yeah, when it was all said and done those where the stats and yet FL could or should have lost that game. If anything TN O-line stands a better chance and JG should be accustomed to the pressure. Pruitt has this quiet confidence about him this year, I won't be surprised if the team has a few upset wins this year. Quickly how many TN and FL fans forget about the 2017 game, TN should have won but in Lyle fashion folded at the end and lost on a last-second deep ball. This years team is bigger and personally, I feel is more talented than that '17 team.

I think them having a D front that was so dominant but barely hanging on to win speaks volumes about their O...it wasn’t a very impressive showing...too early to say much but they don’t look like a top 10 team...

Reactions: EODVOL
Can we rely on Shrout to not throw interceptions? I'd take a safe QB like jg who doesnt turn the ball over vs an unproven one.

That is one’s choice, but it could be called playing not to lose, rather than playing to win, or maybe, no guts, no glory. Obviously, if you pass less, you have less chance of interceptions, but you also have less passing yardage, and less touchdowns with which to win games. The production using a “safe” QB has been abysmal, (for which there are many reasons which has been much discussed), and of course, everyone hopes for better results this year, but if that doesn’t happen, some hope for a change, to a QB, possibly Maurer, who had much higher passing attempts and completions and touchdowns, in high school, than JG had, but has not had a chance yet in college to showcase that talent.

These are JG college stats, which include, for the first time ever, I believe I read, for a TN QB to lose twice to Vanderbilt.

2017: In 9 games, 4 Touchdowns, 997 yds. passing, -39 yards rushing.
2018: In 12 games, 12 Touchdowns, 1907 yds. passing, -94 yards rushing.

These are not winning results, so if this continues, and we get a lot of 3 and outs, and few touchdowns, maybe a new QB, if he is more mobile, can elude pressure, avoid sacks, and throw touchdowns, even if it includes a possible interception, may prove to give us a better chance to win games. It’s not about playing it safe, it’s about winning.

Last edited:
That is one’s choice, but it could be called playing not to lose, rather than playing to win, or maybe, no guts, no glory. Obviously, if you pass less, you have less chance of interceptions, but you also have less passing yardage, and less touchdowns with which to win games. The production using a “safe” QB has been abysmal, (for which there are many reasons which has been much discussed), and of course, everyone hopes for better results this year, and if that doesn’t happen, some hope for a change, to a QB, possibly Maurer, who had much higher passing attempts and completions and touchdowns, in high school, than JG had, but has not had a chance yet in college to showcase that talent.

These are JG college stats, which include, for the first time ever, I believe I read, for a TN QB to lose twice to Vanderbilt.

2017: In 9 games, 4 Touchdowns, -39 yards rushing.
2018: In 12 games, 12 Touchdowns, -94 yards rushing.

These are not winning results, so if this continues, and we get a lot of 3 and outs, and few touchdowns, maybe a new QB, if he is more mobile, can elude pressure, avoid sacks, and throw touchdowns, even if it includes a possible interception, and may prove to give us a better chance to win games. It’s not about playing it safe, it’s about winning.

We're so close to the season now. It doesn't matter at this point.
I believe I know what's going to happen, but let's let it play out.
JG is the guy for right now. If he plays well and we win then that's what matters.

Im excited to see what this new team can do.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
That is one’s choice, but it could be called playing not to lose, rather than playing to win, or maybe, no guts, no glory. Obviously, if you pass less, you have less chance of interceptions, but you also have less passing yardage, and less touchdowns with which to win games. The production using a “safe” QB has been abysmal, (for which there are many reasons which has been much discussed), and of course, everyone hopes for better results this year, and if that doesn’t happen, some hope for a change, to a QB, possibly Maurer, who had much higher passing attempts and completions and touchdowns, in high school, than JG had, but has not had a chance yet in college to showcase that talent.

2017: In 9 games, 4 Touchdowns, 997 yds. passing, -39 yards rushing.
2018: In 12 games, 12 Touchdowns, 1907 yds. passing, -94 yards rushing.

These are not winning results, so if this continues, and we get a lot of 3 and outs, and few touchdowns, maybe a new QB, if he is more mobile, can elude pressure, avoid sacks, and throw touchdowns, even if it includes a possible interception, and may prove to give us a better chance to win games. It’s not about playing it safe, it’s about winning.
Obviously if you pass more you'll have more yards and more touchdowns. I wonder why we didn't just pass more?

We're so close to the season now. It doesn't matter at this point.
I believe I know what's going to happen, but let's let it play out.
JG is the guy for right now. If he plays well and we win then that's what matters.

Im excited to see what this new team can do.
Yes, we’ll see, and hope for the best. 🙂

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back