Nathan Peterman's Improvement and Our Passing Game Woes

Wow, talk about cherry picking!

(1) Pitt has only played 4 games. UT has played 5 games.

(2) Pitt plays a slow grind-it-out style. UT plays a HUNH style. Hence, all things being equal, you should expect UT to put up more yards.

(3) UT is averaging 192.8 passing yds per game which is ranked 95th in the NCAA. That's absolutely atrocious when you consider we run HUNH.

(4) Pitt's passing yds per game is ranked 111th at 162 yds per game. Yet, that's deceiving because Pitt has only thrown the ball 89 times this season. UT has thrown the ball 139 times. Do the math and UT averages 6.9 yds per pass attempt while Pitt averages 7.3.

(5) Pitt is 3-1. UT is 2-3. Sure, UT has played a tougher schedule, but Pitt is also playing with much less talent. Regardless, who cares if you put up the most yards if you lose a game? If we averaged 50 yards per game and went 10-2, I'd be pretty happy. If we averaged 600 yards per game and went 5-7, I wouldn't be.

Overall, I think this exercise points out the futility of trying to use broad statistical aggregates to compare teams. Obviously, a team that runs 55% more plays in a season than another team should have more yards in the season.

Reactions: 2 people
Remember a lot of b*******. :pinch: This is an absence makes the heart grow fonder kind of thing...see recent threads pining for Bajakian. :)

2012 offense was pretty potent. I don't think Bajakian could call a great game consistently but I think he's 10x the QB coach DeBord or Sheridan is.

Reactions: 1 person
2012 offense was pretty potent. I don't think Bajakian could call a great game consistently but I think he's 10x the QB coach DeBord or Sheridan is.

Based on what? Peterman? Worley? Dobbs?

So dumb it is beyond ridiculous. peterman threw for a whopping 100 yards this past weekend.

When he was here, all you heard was weird tunnel vision here...abandoned running game there...made the defense's b**** everywhere...they always become great after they leave here. Remember the Randy Sanders for HC thread? :wink2:

Don't speak logic. We are in the middle of a massive temper tantrum

Peterman...another in growing list of QB's who could not run the read/option spread offense. Kids just won't execute.

We're 2-3 now and we've managed to lose in a lot of different ways. During the Oklahoma game, our O-line struggled to protect the QB. During the Florida game, our defense struggled to get 4th down stops. During the Arkansas game, the offense simply stalled out.

While we've had different issues throughout the season, I will generally say that I'm happy with the progress of most of our coaching staff. Jancek hasn't been perfect, but he's turned the worst defense in the SEC into one of the best in a relatively short time. Even our much derided O-line coach, Mahoney, has done a reasonably good job given the circumstances. Too often, people forget that Mahoney was left a giant turd sandwich from Dooley, with a complete dearth of talent and experience for the 2014 and 2015 seasons on the O-line. In spite of the challenges, Mahoney's O-line has improved EVERY WEEK! The pass protection against Arkansas wasn't perfect, but it was a dramatic improvement over the game against Oklahoma. So in spite of the issues on O-line, I'm happy with the progress there.

Yet, in three years, if you were to name the one thing that has never worked regardless it's the passing game. It doesn't seem to matter who our QB is, how much talent we have at WR, or how well the O-line protects the QB. It simply never works under any scenario. At this point, I'm starting to think our passing game needs a major overhaul and I'm starting to question whether Zach Azzanni, our WR Coach and Passing Game Coordinator, is the problem. Then again, we've seen before how a head coach can hold back the offense in the Fulmer years. Randy Sanders was awful at UT, but has had much greater success at Florida State.

Regardless, there are major issues with the passing game. I think our problems are further showcased by Nathan Peterman's dramatic improvement at Pitt.

Nathan Peterman

Peterman struggled at UT, but looks much better at Pitt. His completion percentage has jumped from 50% to 65%. His QB rating is up from 8.6 to 61.6. He's not Peyton Manning, but if you watch him play, he looks much more confident and poised at Pitt than he ever did here. You can see that in these highlight videos.

Highlights vs Akron

Highlights vs Virginia Tech

In fairness, he hasn't been perfect. He did throw 2 INTs versus Iowa. Nevertheless, he was 20-29 for 219 yards in that game.

Highlights vs Iowa

It's particularly worthwhile to watch Peterman's clutch play on a TD drive at the end of the Iowa game. Unfortunately, Pitt would still go on to lose, as Iowa scored a FG to win the game, but certainly, Peterman's strong play late game contrasts with our blunders.

Peterman's Clutch Late-Game TD Drive

I don't claim to have inside knowledge or be an expert here, but I can say it's plainly obvious that our coaches are not doing a good job with developing the passing game. Seeing Nathan Peterman's dramatic improvement at Pitt makes me question our approach to the passing game even more. We've now had three different QBs (Worley, Peterman, and Dobbs) and none of them have had much success throwing the ball. Perhaps Dormady is the solution, but I have to think that there's a deeper issue here than merely the QB.

Perhaps it was just because Peterman couldn't handle Jones' 40 pre snap checks at the line of scrimmage before each play. Perhaps we've been, perhaps I've been too hard on Peterman....for crying out loud, 40 pre snap checks before every play?

I was at the va tech game and watched peterman play. Heck. I would be a lot more confident playing an ACC schedule than I would knowing I had to line up against the SEC. A lot of the game is mental. That would make a huge difference to me.

:loco:

This is ridiculous. Dobbs would be an absolute world beater against that competition week in and week out.

Dobbs cant throw consistently against air.

You guys have some weird idea that we are better than those teams because of who we lose against on a weekly basis.

We're 2-3 now and we've managed to lose in a lot of different ways. During the Oklahoma game, our O-line struggled to protect the QB. During the Florida game, our defense struggled to get 4th down stops. During the Arkansas game, the offense simply stalled out.

While we've had different issues throughout the season, I will generally say that I'm happy with the progress of most of our coaching staff. Jancek hasn't been perfect, but he's turned the worst defense in the SEC into one of the best in a relatively short time. Even our much derided O-line coach, Mahoney, has done a reasonably good job given the circumstances. Too often, people forget that Mahoney was left a giant turd sandwich from Dooley, with a complete dearth of talent and experience for the 2014 and 2015 seasons on the O-line. In spite of the challenges, Mahoney's O-line has improved EVERY WEEK! The pass protection against Arkansas wasn't perfect, but it was a dramatic improvement over the game against Oklahoma. So in spite of the issues on O-line, I'm happy with the progress there.

Yet, in three years, if you were to name the one thing that has never worked regardless it's the passing game. It doesn't seem to matter who our QB is, how much talent we have at WR, or how well the O-line protects the QB. It simply never works under any scenario. At this point, I'm starting to think our passing game needs a major overhaul and I'm starting to question whether Zach Azzanni, our WR Coach and Passing Game Coordinator, is the problem. Then again, we've seen before how a head coach can hold back the offense in the Fulmer years. Randy Sanders was awful at UT, but has had much greater success at Florida State.

Regardless, there are major issues with the passing game. I think our problems are further showcased by Nathan Peterman's dramatic improvement at Pitt.

Nathan Peterman

Peterman struggled at UT, but looks much better at Pitt. His completion percentage has jumped from 50% to 65%. His QB rating is up from 8.6 to 61.6. He's not Peyton Manning, but if you watch him play, he looks much more confident and poised at Pitt than he ever did here. You can see that in these highlight videos.

Highlights vs Akron

Highlights vs Virginia Tech

In fairness, he hasn't been perfect. He did throw 2 INTs versus Iowa. Nevertheless, he was 20-29 for 219 yards in that game.

Highlights vs Iowa

It's particularly worthwhile to watch Peterman's clutch play on a TD drive at the end of the Iowa game. Unfortunately, Pitt would still go on to lose, as Iowa scored a FG to win the game, but certainly, Peterman's strong play late game contrasts with our blunders.

Peterman's Clutch Late-Game TD Drive

I don't claim to have inside knowledge or be an expert here, but I can say it's plainly obvious that our coaches are not doing a good job with developing the passing game. Seeing Nathan Peterman's dramatic improvement at Pitt makes me question our approach to the passing game even more. We've now had three different QBs (Worley, Peterman, and Dobbs) and none of them have had much success throwing the ball. Perhaps Dormady is the solution, but I have to think that there's a deeper issue here than merely the QB.

Akron, Va. Tech, Iowa, etc...etc.... don't exactly have SEC caliber of talent when compared to UGA and Fla...

The game's a little slower against those guys.....

Based on what? Peterman? Worley? Dobbs?

Dobbs has regressed. DeBord has said he had to change his mechanics. So the guy who has never directly coached QB's needed to tweak what the NFL QB coach helped mold for 2 years? In the process of his tweaking,YPG are down, completion % is down and Dobbs looks tighter/lost. He's missing a lot of open guys from a vision standpoint.

Losing Maggitt has definitely hurt, but I still think if you analyze the defense objectively, we're in the top 4 or 5 in the SEC. People are overreacting to the Arkansas game, as our defense simply matches-up poorly against Arkansas's offense. We run a 4-3 attacking defense that's better designed to defend against a balanced or pass-oriented attack. It struggles when pitted against a smashmouth team like Arkansas.

Yet, take a look at the Oklahoma and Florida games. We held a high-powered Oklahoma offense to only 17 points, and even that was partly a result of a futile offense. Similarly, this Florida offense scored 38 points against the supposed best defense in the SEC. We held them to 28. When you start to look at how we've fared relative to other teams, our defense looks top-notch.

The Arkansas game was a struggle, but like I said, we don't match up well against Arky's giant O-linemen. They simply wore us down. But even given that --- we held Arkansas to 7 points in the 2nd half. Our defense continued to come up with big stops in the late game, as well. I think those blaming the D are barking up the wrong tree. The D gave us a chance to win that game. The offense that only put 3 points on the board in the 2nd half lost it.

The Vols defense is dead last in the SEC....say no more!

This isnt the Tennessee Peterman. All of the football coaches here declared he couldn't play a lick. Its another Peterman....cmon guys

Dobbs has regressed. DeBord has said he had to change his mechanics. So the guy who has never directly coached QB's needed to tweak what the NFL QB coach helped mold for 2 years? In the process of his tweaking,YPG are down, completion % is down and Dobbs looks tighter/lost. He's missing a lot of open guys from a vision standpoint.

I see the same Dobbs from the previous two years...especially the freshman season. Worley had some issues against FCS teams...Peterman? You were there. Bajakian staying might not have made us worse but we definitely wouldn't be knocking it out the park. Not defending DeBord when I say Jake wasn't that good.

VN Store

Back