New Texas coach

Thought that was the definition of being recruited over...younger players take the PT of older players.

Schaefer broke out at Mississippi State. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat that success at Texas. If he can, he should get a big bump in the "all time rankings" for coaches in the sport. If there ever is such a thing.
Weren’t they the death blow to Gail Goestenkors? I like him, hope he does well, just not well enough to beat the REAL UT.

Thought that was the definition of being recruited over...younger players take the PT of older players.
That's one part of it. Constantly recruiting the same positions each year regardless of how many players on scholarship and it leads to lesser ranked players on the team and transferring for " unknown reasons".

Evina and Anastasia are older than Jaz??? Hows that recruiting over?
And yet Tennessee, like all other schools, continued to recruit PGs even though they had 2 AAs. They recruited Jordan following year, so either Jaz or Zaay was recruited over, depending on which guard spot she lands on.

This practice is not unusual. What, Vic is gonna turn down a 5 star player because he has a 3 star player already at that spot? I don't think so. No coach worth their salary would do that.

And yet Tennessee, like all other schools, continued to recruit PGs even though they had 2 AAs. They recruited Jordan following year, so either Jaz or Zaay was recruited over, depending on which guard spot she lands on.

This practice is not unusual. What, Vic is gonna turn down a 5 star player because he has a 3 star player already at that spot? I don't think so. No coach worth their salary would do that.
Evina wasn’t a pg and I would actually say all of them but jazz weren’t “true pgs” but combo guards.

This is what happens when an AD takes the hire seriously. Texas making big time moves. They made a move in softball, too, and it's taken their once proud program back to the top very quickly. This might just well do the same.

WTBS, this is surprising given I thought he would take over for Gary Blair at A&M when he retires in the next few years.

Some people would rather be morally superior (in their own minds) and brag about it than to actually win.

Who doesn't? If not for the transfers, Jaz would have been playing behind Evina and Anastasia.

All successful coaches do it. Survival of the fittest. If Kellie could get Aliyah Boston to come to Tennessee, you think she'd turn her away?
What would she do with her if she did come. Our coach has shown me nothing yet. She is one of my favorite former players but not so much as a coach

Reactions: M224johnson
Evina wasn’t a pg and I would actually say all of them but jazz weren’t “true pgs” but combo guards.
Evina 100% was a PG. She said she wanted to play PG when she was recruited...prompting Anastasia to say that she didn't mind because she thought she could play off the ball. I believe Jaz played PG in HS. Even if she was recruited as a combo guard (along with Zaay), why do so when you have 2 AAs in the preceding class...unless you thought she could take some minutes. I doubt either of them came to Tennessee to sit on the bench for 3 years; they likely wanted to challenge for a starting spot, and the same is true for Jordan.

For 2021, I'm sure Kellie is looking for some more 5-star guards. Does that mean she's disrespecting Salary and Darby? I think it would be because she wants to build the strongest team possible, and it's likely there will be attrition as new pieces are added to the team.

What would she do with her if she did come. Our coach has shown me nothing yet. She is one of my favorite former players but not so much as a coach

My personal opinion is that I want to see how Kellie handles herself on the recruiting trail. What she accomplishes in the next 2 years there will dictate how far she can take this team. I don't believe you can win the SEC with Mo. State-level recruits. She needs to land some elite players.

Reactions: GlennTenn
Evina 100% was a PG. She said she wanted to play PG when she was recruited...prompting Anastasia to say that she didn't mind because she thought she could play off the ball. I believe Jaz played PG in HS. Even if she was recruited as a combo guard (along with Zaay), why do so when you have 2 AAs in the preceding class...unless you thought she could take some minutes. I doubt either of them came to Tennessee to sit on the bench for 3 years; they likely wanted to challenge for a starting spot, and the same is true for Jordan.

For 2021, I'm sure Kellie is looking for some more 5-star guards. Does that mean she's disrespecting Salary and Darby? I think it would be because she wants to build the strongest team possible, and it's likely there will be attrition as new pieces are added to the team.
Yep. There will always be attrition especially now with the portal. This year is a prime example and it will only get worse if they pass the "no sit" rule.

Can a school hold an incoming freshman to a signed letter of intent if the coach leaves? If there is a coaching change and players want to transfer that is a case by case situation on not having to sit out? This assumes the 1 free transfer does not pass

My personal opinion is that I want to see how Kellie handles herself on the recruiting trail. What she accomplishes in the next 2 years there will dictate how far she can take this team. I don't believe you can win the SEC with Mo. State-level recruits. She needs to land some elite players.
That’s for sure

given the financial losses within athletic departments I would speculate Texas is one universitity that could produce the big bucks needed.

an aside but Miss State had five (5) players on their roster who played on the same USA National team. three recruited and two transferred in. Will they hire another relatively unknown assistant coach and hope he will become a second star or just recruit a semi-successful head coach? (smile)

Reactions: WVU05UT09

VN Store

Back