New Texas coach

His agent put it out there last year that he wasn't leaving State for any job that wasn't Texas A&M when Tennessee and others called to gauge interest. Something changed, I'm very interested to see the financials on that contract.
I thought I read somewhere that MSST was willing to match Texas' offer, but he decided to go with them anyway. Sounds like it might not have been about the money (money).

Reactions: olddog
given the financial losses within athletic departments I would speculate Texas is one universitity that could produce the big bucks needed.

an aside but Miss State had five (5) players on their roster who played on the same USA National team. three recruited and two transferred in. Will they hire another relatively unknown assistant coach and hope he will become a second star or just recruit a semi-successful head coach? (smile)
I would be very surprised if they aren't looking for someone on Vic's level. It's a very different program now than when Vic took over. I wonder what his salary difference from year 1 to year 8 was?

I read on the Miss State board that Texas is paying him 3 mil? Wow if true. Also on the state board they thought they'd go hard after Matthew Mitchell at KY. He's from MS and is a alum of Miss State.

I read on the Miss State board that Texas is paying him 3 mil? Wow if true

See there?

We could have had him, easy.;)

(Seriously, if that is true, wouldn't that make him the highest-paid coach in WCBB?)

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if Texas is paying him that much and it's probably just board chatter on the Miss State board.....I think he was making around 1.5 mil at State. Mulky is making close to 2 mil.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Mitchell is from Louisville, MS... Just south of Starkville... 20 miles
I could see him going if he was in his early to mid 50s, but I feel it’s a bit early for a return home

His agent put it out there last year that he wasn't leaving State for any job that wasn't Texas A&M when Tennessee and others called to gauge interest. Something changed, I'm very interested to see the financials on that contract.

Agreed. It must be an obscene amount of money. I wonder, too, how many years his contract is. If Texas was smart they’ve given him a very longterm contract — one so good that when Gary Blair retires in a couple of years he won’t take his dream job at his alma mater.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Mitchell is from Louisville, MS... Just south of Starkville... 20 miles
I could see him going if he was in his early to mid 50s, but I feel it’s a bit early for a return home

Take a lot of Dapper Dan to get that ol' boy on board right now.

Speaking of which...

Andy says he could be there yesterday. After all, Nell already answered the call of the wild.

Reactions: Bret178
Is Texas the transfer destination for Zaay?
Makes sense. Questions about Madison Hayes. She did visit Tennessee, but what were her other schools? If MS let her out of her signed commit, would she follow Vic to Texas?

My personal opinion is that I want to see how Kellie handles herself on the recruiting trail. What she accomplishes in the next 2 years there will dictate how far she can take this team. I don't believe you can win the SEC with Mo. State-level recruits. She needs to land some elite players.
I don't know if Tennessee will ever be the team it was under Pat Summit. The best I can see is the top 10 in ranking and some top notch players will have to be recruited. You can have the best coach out there but if they don't have the players the program will go no where. The coach can't play the game.

Reactions: olddog
Shaka Smart...Charlie Strong...They know how to do it

You can't compare Texas now to Texas when those hires were made. Those hires were all made by Steve Patterson who was a certified first class douche bag. Chris Del Conte is in charge and its a completely different situation.

Reactions: sport3500
those comments about salary forget the benefits that coaches get from top sports teams. Alumn built a $ 6 M house for the Alabama coach. Given the support that Ky and Louisville get for basketball a reasonable person would expect there are benefits of staying in Louisville. Personally if I were born in several sections of the country and moved away, there would not be an incentive for moving back.

Staley salary is in the $2m range as I think I remember.

Reactions: creekdipper
Something else to keep in mind are bonus incentives for winning reg.season, conf. tournament, advancing to Final Four, etc.

Coaches are loath to leave a winning program where those bonuses are reasonably-attainable goals in order to go to a rebuilding situation...unless the base salary can offset some of those potential perks.

I saw where Texas gave him a 5 year 10 million contract

Wow!

I have no idea whether Vic Schaeffer is a cheater in either recruiting or rules relating to allowable practice time (as so many coaches are), but that kind of money surely puts a ton of pressure on him to produce championship-level results — and soon. Even if he’s been clean up to now — I’m cynically doubtful, to be honest — the pressure may prove too much to fight temptation to take advantage of the offers to help he’ll receive from some deep-pocketed Horns fans. :oops:

I don't know if Tennessee will ever be the team it was under Pat Summit. The best I can see is the top 10 in ranking and some top notch players will have to be recruited. You can have the best coach out there but if they don't have the players the program will go no where. The coach can't play the game.
I agree. The landscape has changed in so many ways. The power 5's have decided to invest in WBB and now most seem to be more invested than Tennessee. That can be problematic down the road unless that changes. Fulmer held on to Holly too long and then didn't get a big name coach when he finally made the move to replace her. I think Kellie will be an excellent coach in the long run but it did speak volumes about his WBB mentality moving forward.

VN Store

Back