Nike “Smokey Grey” Series Launches on Rocky Top

All of those teams wear alternate uniforms at different points during the year. Ohio State has the exact same black uniforms as we do (one of the reasons I thought the black uni was overdone), they have grey alts, red pants, all white unis, OU has several different alternates, LSU does too, UGA has black and throwback unis too, even Penn State wore an alternate last year. Every NFL team has alternate. It’s shouldn’t be a problem as long as they don’t suck.
UGA toys with the uniform look all the time. Including that time they totally lost it and went with something that looks like it was . . . well . . . designed by a bunch of dudes on a message board.

ugaalt2.jpg

Reactions: vollygirl
UGA toys with the uniform look all the time. Including that time they totally lost it and went with something that looks like it was . . . well . . . designed by a bunch of dudes on a message board.

ugaalt2.jpg
Those were awful. Got smacked around in their backyard by Boise in those ugly things too. I’ve recently seen recruiting photos taken of the kids in an all white UGA uniform, and it makes me sick to say that it’s actually pretty sharp. Don’t think they’re going to wear them in games though.

These uniforms unconsciously feel like a Butch Jones thing, which doesn't sit well with me. I know it's only coincidence, and I'll get over it, but nonetheless thought it worth mentioning.

Still like the jerseys. And I like that they're mixing it up in future seasons.
Beat Georgia, Florida and Nebraska in them. I’ll take anything I can get

If you have a problem associating Smokey Grey with Butch, that’s understandable. I suggest you go back and watch Dobbs performance vs UGA in 2015 or Derek Barnett breaking the sack record vs Nebraska in 2016 and the whole team celebrating on field with him. Those are iconic moments for this era of Tennessee football.

Guessing they took the spelling from Smokey the mascot. The spelling of both Smokey and Grey are honestly up for debate.

Well.., I guess for the love of Vols we all share, this debate means, oh, something like:
Meeting in smokey places
Hiding in shadowy corners
Dancing where no one knows our faces
Sharing love stolen in the night

In smoky places

But not too old since the T was only added in 1964
True...but still old. And the Power T is definitely a traditional thing and very distinctive from a marketing standpoint.

However if they wanna put orange daisies on the helmet it wont really bother me much. As long as they figure out how to win.

Edited..pansies would bother me..😁

True...but still old. And the Power T is definitely a traditional thing and very distinctive from a marketing standpoint.

However if they wanna put orange daisies on the helmet it wont really bother me much. As long as they figure out how to win.

Edited..pansies would bother me..😁
The only one of those I liked was the Tristar. They did the first grey alt helmet really well so I have hope

If you have a problem associating Smokey Grey with Butch, that’s understandable. I suggest you go back and watch Dobbs performance vs UGA in 2015 or Derek Barnett breaking the sack record vs Nebraska in 2016 and the whole team celebrating on field with him. Those are iconic moments for this era of Tennessee football.

I’m pretty sure we wore those in the Bowl vs Nebraska to raise money for the fires in and around Gatlinburg too. We shouldn’t allow the ineptitude of a few affect many. We need to move on past Butch and Pruitt and be happy that we’ve come out on the other side.

GA and FL aren't really "traditional rivalries," or big games that matter for the last decade or so.

TN and GA only played 21 times before 1992
TN and FL played only 19 times before 1990

GA and FL aren't really "traditional rivalries," or big games that matter for the last decade or so.

TN and GA only played 21 times before 1992
TN and FL played only 19 times before 1990

Well, Ga and Fla are the big games other than Bama now. Tennessee no longer plays Auburn, Ga Tech or Ole Miss (those were until 1992).

@DeerPark12 , are there still plans for a black helmet and the Dark Mode unis to be worn this year, or does this take the place of that? I cant imagine they'd do away with the Dark Mode as much as they have been used with recruits. But, I for one, want to see the black helmet with the dark mode. Do you know any updates?

Dark mode is here for this year. It was scheduled to go away after this year, I assume that's still the plan.

No idea on helmets. The thinking on helmets has changed so much because of the supply chain that I'm not sure what will actually make it to the field.

Reactions: TNHopeful505
Really? I see GA, tOSU & OK wearing their red jerseys when they can. LSU likes their white jerseys. Wish TN could wear orange jerseys every game.There’s not a better uniform in all of college. When TN is wearing orange everyone knows it is TN. Not much difference between tOSU & GA. Not much difference between Bama, A&M & MS ST. We stand out.
I completely agree that the orange stands out and is unmistakable. That wasn’t what I was replying to. What was said was that the good teams don’t change their uniforms or have alternates. Most do.

Smokey gray sucks, I'd rather have black. It's not our color and it reminds me of that idiot Lyle. Why do you guys want to be reminded of Lyle?

I’m fine with smokey grey and the black unis from time to time. If you’re going to do it though, both should be combined with a graphite/carbon styled helmet, same color as the uniforms and both with an orange T. JMO.

Reactions: SDV

VN Store

Back