Official March Madness Thread

In 2010 the year before it expanded there were 31 automatic qualifiers and 34 at large teams. Now there are 36 at large teams. That means of the 4 at large teams playing in the play in, 2 would have otherwise been in the field. Just because the NCAA decided to add 2 more at large teams to the field doesn’t mean those two teams now forced to play in the playin all of a sudden don’t count for making the tournament

Last edited:
So, who does everyone got in the games today? I got St. Bon because they’re rated higher by KenPom and strength of record and LIU-Brooklyn because I like their name more (Radford is considered better).

I like the 4 play in games but they got it wrong. Put the bottom 8 seeds in as 16 seeds for play in games. Realistically how many 16 or 15 seeds have a shot to win anyway on opening weekend?

Give the little guys all a real shot at a NCAA tourny win, the games would be entertaining (i think / maybe / i guess / who knows) and let the real dance start Thursday.

Word on the Gator boards is that UF's first practice yesterday was lackluster and White thinks they have no competitive fire or emotion. Says last year's team if they'd lost in the first game of SEC tournament would have been itching to get out there and hustle. This one has no fire.

Was asked if the team was going to watch the St Bonnie/UCLA game together and talk through it, or alone in their rooms. White said if he did the latter he thinks half of them wouldn't watch and would just rather play video games or get on social media.

Not.

Good.

The outcome of the tournament

How do you know that? UConn was the beneficiary of not having to play Georgetown, Purdue, or Kansas, all teams that were seeded as high or higher than they were.

That's a rather simple view that a play-in team only has an impact on the outcome of the tournament if they win it all. If they make a deep run, what about all the teams they knock out along the way, and the snowball effect that has on subsequent match-ups? Butterfly effect man.

I think Arizona is the most overrated team in the tournament. I really don't get all they love they're getting. I think Kentucky beats them. Even if they do get to the S16, while they have good matchups against UVA and potentially UC/UT, they're still an inferior team in each on of those matchups IMO. People think they're being clever picking them to come out of that region, or make the elite 8. But their odds of doing that are relatively slim.

5% of all brackets have them winning the tournament. That's more in-line with Purdue or UNC's chances of winning. Not UA. And ~60% of brackets have them going to the S16. I think it's more of a tossup that they get to the S16

My value pick: Houston over Michigan to make the S16. And FSU over Missouri in the first round

Last edited:
I think Arizona is the most overrated team in the tournament. I really don't get all they love they're getting.

They have probably the single most talented player in the tournament (Ayton), which explains the love, but I agree, I don't see them making a deep run.

Also, the deeper they go, the more incessant the questions about the scandal become. I imagine that would become incredibly distracting, way more than it was during the regular season.

In 2010 the year before it expanded there were 31 automatic qualifiers and 34 at large teams. Now there are 36 at large teams. That means of the 4 at large teams playing in the play in, 2 would have otherwise been in the field. Just because the NCAA decided to add 2 more at large teams to the field doesn’t mean those two teams now forced to play in the playin all of a sudden don’t count for making the tournament

Yeah, once they started down this path that was part of the deal. Teams that would have made it are now forced to play their way in. The whole thing is dumb in my opinion. It's just a money grab.

If they want to keep it at 68 I think you should take the last 8 at large teams and let them play for the last 4 spots in the real 64 team dance.

Word on the Gator boards is that UF's first practice yesterday was lackluster and White thinks they have no competitive fire or emotion. Says last year's team if they'd lost in the first game of SEC tournament would have been itching to get out there and hustle. This one has no fire.

Was asked if the team was going to watch the St Bonnie/UCLA game together and talk through it, or alone in their rooms. White said if he did the latter he thinks half of them wouldn't watch and would just rather play video games or get on social media.

Not.

Good.

My personal opinion, I don’t think White is the answer for your problems.

Would not surprise me if he shows interest in the Ole Miss job.

Yeah, once they started down this path that was part of the deal. Teams that would have made it are now forced to play their way in. The whole thing is dumb in my opinion. It's just a money grab.

If they want to keep it at 68 I think you should take the last 8 at large teams and let them play for the last 4 spots in the real 64 team dance.

I agree with what you’ve been saying in here.

Those 16 seeds shouldn’t have to play in the “play in” games. They won their conference titles and deserve a spot in the real thing. Part of what makes the tournament for me.

Reactions: 1 person
SEC has 8 teams in this thing. I've got half of them going home in round 1. Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Florida. I have Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn advancing.

I agree with what you’ve been saying in here.

Those 16 seeds shouldn’t have to play in the “play in” games. They won their conference titles and deserve a spot in the real thing. Part of what makes the tournament for me.

Bingo. Put all of the 16s in the field, bump everyone up and let the final 4 at large bids be the play in games. I'd even refer to them as that. Call it a playoff or something if you want to.

Bingo. Put all of the 16s in the field, bump everyone down and let the final 4 at large bids be the play in games. I'd even refer to them as that. Call it a playoff or something if you want to.

But like Golf said under the old 64 format they still would’ve “made the dance”, now they don’t? Seems dumb.

I say go back to 64, but that’ll never happen.

They have probably the single most talented player in the tournament (Ayton), which explains the love, but I agree, I don't see them making a deep run.

Also, the deeper they go, the more incessant the questions about the scandal become. I imagine that would become incredibly distracting, way more than it was during the regular season.

His last two games were great. But their first game in the Pac12 tournament he was awful. 4-14 with only 6 rebounds and 3 turnovers. 2-6 on his FTs.

He can occasionally lay an egg, which of course all it takes is one game in the tournament and they'll be packing - at least at the rate they’ve been relying on him

SEC has 8 teams in this thing. I've got half of them going home in round 1. Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Florida. I have Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn advancing.

I have Tennessee and Kentucky in the S16

Auburn, TAMU to the Second round

Alabama, Missouri, Arkansas out in the first

Boom
DYLPAmfVwAAIwJu.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
But like Golf said under the old 64 format they still would’ve “made the dance”, now they don’t? Seems dumb.

I say go back to 64, but that’ll never happen.

It is dumb, but that's what they did. They cheapened the work done by those teams to get in by making them win an extra game to actually be in.

That's just another reason why I disagree with going to 68.

They are "play in" games. Playing "in" to the tournament. No matter what they call them that's what they are. They are peeing on your leg and telling you it's raining.

If we are gonna keep it at 68 with the play in game format I say embrace it and quit pretending it's something other than what it is. Call them play in games and let's have the final 8 at large teams play for a spot in the real dance.

Anyone think Auburn is at risk of getting bounced early? I have CoC beating them in one bracket.

Other notable first round upsets I have across two different brackets, other than the one mentioned above:

Loyola-Chicago over Miami
St. Bonaventure/UCLA over Florida
South Dakota St over Ohio St
Stephen F. Austin over Texas Tech

Last edited:
Anyone think Auburn is at risk of getting bounced early? I have CoC beating them in one bracket.

Other notable first round upsets I have across two different brackets, other than the one mentioned above:

Loyola-Chicago over Miami
St. Bonaventure/UCLA over Florida
South Dakota St over Ohio St
Stephen F. Austin over Texas Tech

JMO - if you fill out more than one bracket you lose the right to talk about your bracket(s).

#sheetofintegrity

I fill out one of what I actually think will happen, and the others for the sole purpose of trying to win money

Reactions: 1 person
What's the fun in filling out just one? Everyone has "the one" that they have the most conviction in, then you hedge with another.

This used to be a topic on one of the national shows. Maybe Mike and Mike.

If you're filling out multiple brackets you don't get to talk about how you picked the upset. You have multiple brackets so you didn't pick an upset. You picked everything.

VN Store

Back