Percent of VN football fans who went to UT?

Did you...

• Attend UTK without graduating?

Votes: 62 10.1%
  • Attend and graduate from UTK?

Votes: 248 40.3%
  • Attend without graduating from a non-Knoxville (including online) UT campus?

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • Attend and graduate from a non-Knoxville (including online) campus?

Votes: 41 6.7%
  • Adopt the Vols because you do or have lived in the state of Tennessee (but didn't attend UT)?

Votes: 219 35.6%
  • Adopt the Vols even though you have never lived in the state of Tennessee (and never attended UT)?

Votes: 39 6.3%

• Total voters
Didn't answer because none of the responses seem right to me.

I didn't "adopt the Vols"...I was welcomed into Vol Nation at an early age. I've never been anything other than a Vol fan. Even though I went to school somewhere else. My school (West Point) even played the Vols while I was there; I rooted for Tennessee. Yep. And, heh, we won.

For many Tennesseans it has nothing to do with where you went to school. It's as tribal as Tullahoma versus Manchester or the Hatfields and McCoys.

Tennesseans should be Tennessee fans. Period.

Go Vols!
I didn't select an answer either. "Adopted" isn't the right term IMO

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I live in Texas and unfortunately go to a Texas college. My whole family is from Tennessee and Virginia. My family has been VOL fans since at least before WW2 so of course I’ve inherited the obsession. My kids will too and so on

Those who attended Tennessee, I'm happy for them, and I think they made a great choice of schools.

But from time to time, like the wording in this thread, you get the impression Tennessee alumni think they're the "better" kind of Tennessee fan.

Nothing at all against them, I think however you get to Vol Nation, just being here is the important part. But still, in my world view, the person who has been a member of the tribe his or her entire life is at LEAST as dyed in the wool a Vol fan as someone who didn't pick it up until they got to college.

Not better. But certainly on the same level. No reason at all to come up with divisions among us. Bleeding orange is all it takes, I'm thinking.

Go Vols!

p.s. From how I see the world, it goes like this:
  1. Born in Tennessee? You should be a lifelong Tennessee fan.
  2. Parents were Tennessee fans but you were born somewhere else? You should be a lifelong Tennessee fan, or your parents should be waterboarded until they explain why not.
  3. Grew up somewhere else of non-Vols parents, but went to Tennessee for college? You (and every generation you bring into this earth forevermore) should be Tennessee fans.
  4. Grew up in London, but cheer for a soccer club who wear orange and white? You should also be a Tennessee fan.
  5. Everyone else? Legion of the Miserable.
Go Vols!

Last edited:
Those who attended Tennessee, I'm happy for them, and I think they made a great choice of schools.

But from time to time, like the wording in this thread, you get the impression Tennessee alumni think they're the "better" kind of Tennessee fan.

Nothing at all against them, I think however you get to Vol Nation, just being here is the important part. But still, in my world view, the person who has been a member of the tribe his or her entire life is at LEAST as dyed in the wool a Vol fan as someone who didn't pick it up until they got to college.

Not better. But certainly on the same level. No reason at all to come up with divisions among us. Bleeding orange is all it takes, I'm thinking.

Go Vols!
Exactly. I wanted to go to UT. Planned to after the Army (didn't plan on doing 20). Things change.

Was a year behind Peyton. I remember him trying to pick up a girl saying "Hey baby, want to play Peyton's game?" at a party.

My step father went to UT, and as a kid we watched Vols football, and I've followed all things Vols the last 35 years or so..... Being born, and still living in FL, its been rough the past decade, but I'm in too deep to ever change!

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Class of 1984. Native Nashville TN. I do not think anyone is a better that anyone else. Its been a rough number of years. Takes gut sometimes to admit we are fan when losing so much.

I did not see the new political status option. "Identify as a UTK fan" lol

Love Bryson City!
We just visited. I don't have much family there any more. My mom's family is mostly in Jackson County. Most my age moved away to find work. It isn't the same place I grew up in. Better in some ways. Worse in others. The culture is being lost.

Football is still king though.

Didn't answer because none of the responses seem right to me.

I didn't "adopt the Vols"...I was welcomed into Vol Nation at an early age. I've never been anything other than a Vol fan. Even though I went to school somewhere else. My school (West Point) even played the Vols while I was there; I rooted for Tennessee. Yep. And, heh, we won.

For many Tennesseans it has nothing to do with where you went to school. It's as tribal as Tullahoma versus Manchester or the Hatfields and McCoys.

Tennesseans should be Tennessee fans. Period.

Go Vols!
Exactly. I was born in Tennessee. I didnt adopt the Vols. Tennesseans are literally born Vols. Im not rooting for any (college team) outside of the state period. I root for all TN schools to do well unless they playing UT, with the exception of Vandy bc they play in the SEC. As far as the pro's go I roll with the boys' bc the Titans were still in Houston when I started watching NFL.

Moved to Tennessee in 1975 in my mid 20's, years of games and cheers and beers with my buds turned my blood orange, Moved to South Carolina 8 years ago cos I married a Clemson gal. Orange blood is safe, tho I bleed SEC. Too many years behind me to turn back now. GBO!

Reactions: 901 Orange

I didn't really mean for the verb to count as the main thing. It's more about figuring out people's life situations that led you to love the Vols. Feel free to substitute a generic "came to be a fan" for "adopted." Verb was meant to be inconsequential.

Grandpa grew up in Germantown and was a UT fan. He then moved to Louisville, Kentucky where my parents and I lived growing up. Dad is Louisville fan, brother is UK fan, and I am UT. Grandfather converted me at an early age. Didn't hurt that my first exposure to football was Peyton's senior year and the 98 season after. Got accepted to UT for undergrad but, decided to pursue playing D3 football instead. Still living in Kentucky and hate dealing with UK fans lol

VN Store

Back