Phil came to scout my daughter

You should say hello when it's over. I've been told by two friends (one an UGA fan, the other an Auburn fan) that's he's about the nicest person you'll ever meet
I debated it but there was already a few people trying to chat him up so I just let him watch the game in peace. I did yell coach tho and threw up the vol gang sign. Got an acknowledgment

You should say hello when it's over. I've been told by two friends (one an UGA fan, the other an Auburn fan) that's he's about the nicest person you'll ever meet
My son and I met him. My son was at a baseball camp. There was also a football camp going on. CPF took pictures with all the football campers for at least 45 minutes.

My son and I were standing there, and he came over and talked with us for 25 minutes. My son was 10.

1704568327835.png

Met him at the airport about a year after he was fired. He was really nice and humble. He said he wished they had given him another year and he thought he would have gotten it turned around if given another year. He has made some mistakes but overall a great coach and his heart has always been in the right place.

Met him at the airport about a year after he was fired. He was really nice and humble. He said he wished they had given him another year and he thought he would have gotten it turned around if given another year. He has made some mistakes but overall a great coach and his heart has always been in the right place.
I’ve shared this story on here before, but I met him at an event in my town, where he and Coach Chavis spoke. Got my pic taken with him and they signed a mini helmet.
Fast forward to 2008, when he was coaching his last game. I was there and saw him crying as he hugged the seniors on their last run through the T, and as they walked off the field victors over Kentucky.
For some reason, his firing did not sit well with me, more so than any of the subsequent firings. So I wrote him a letter, told him how much I appreciated his time at UT and the accomplishments, etc. and how I was praying for him and his family in whatever they did in the future. Mailed it off and thought nothing else of it.
A few weeks later, I got mail from the UT Football Office. Inside was a signed letter from Coach Fulmer, telling me how much he appreciated my letter to him, and that his faith was carrying he and his family through this time of turmoil and he would always be a Volunteer, as the fans, team and University meant so much to him.
My wife had the letter, picture and the ticket stubs from that game matted and framed. It hangs on the wall in my office. I will always be thankful for that and that a coach of his stature took the time out to send a letter of thanks to a random fan 3 states away.
GB🍊

I’ve shared this story on here before, but I met him at an event in my town, where he and Coach Chavis spoke. Got my pic taken with him and they signed a mini helmet.
Fast forward to 2008, when he was coaching his last game. I was there and saw him crying as he hugged the seniors on their last run through the T, and as they walked off the field victors over Kentucky.
For some reason, his firing did not sit well with me, more so than any of the subsequent firings. So I wrote him a letter, told him how much I appreciated his time at UT and the accomplishments, etc. and how I was praying for him and his family in whatever they did in the future. Mailed it off and thought nothing else of it.
A few weeks later, I got mail from the UT Football Office. Inside was a signed letter from Coach Fulmer, telling me how much he appreciated my letter to him, and that his faith was carrying he and his family through this time of turmoil and he would always be a Volunteer, as the fans, team and University meant so much to him.
My wife had the letter, picture and the ticket stubs from that game matted and framed. It hangs on the wall in my office. I will always be thankful for that and that a coach of his stature took the time out to send a letter of thanks to a random fan 3 states away.
GB🍊
I’ll always love him. He brought us more success than anyone other than the general, and hat was a different era of football. Some of our posters here still like to rag on him tho. Foolish

I was shocked and angered we fired him, and I resented certain people for a long long time.
It was disgusting.
I wish he had been given the chance to stay and right the ship - you can be guaranteed we wouldn’t have been nearly as awful as we were for the last twenty years. I bet he would’ve won another natty - but we will never know.

Can confirm. My dad and I ran into him before a game shortly before he became AD, and though he was obviously on his way to a box somewhere he took time to chat with us about the season and the program and all. He came across as a someone who is a genuinely nice, down-to-earth person in my experience as well.

I’ve got to talk to him on several occasions and he’s always been very kind. I will always have to say he is a VFL.

I went to a UT Alumni social gathering in California just before Peyton signed with the Vols. On arriving, I walked up to a group of about 5 people which included Fulmer who were chatting. As soon as I joined the group, Fulmer interrupted whoever was talking and looked directly at me and introduced himself (as if I didn't know). Very friendly and relatable. I mentioned the 1971 Penn State game which TN won 31-11. This clearly punched Fulmer's enthusiasm button as he began recalling game details like it was just last week.

VN Store

Back