Practice Updates 3.28.17

This offense ain't rocket science. It ain't the 90s with #16 barking out 3 audibles at the line. It is more read and react and we do know no matter how much Butch claims it works with a Pro style QB, a DT QB is the bees knees in this offense.

You're playing checkers.

It's not about our offense. The one that can read a defense and rip it apart should start.

Learning one offense is easy it's the hundreds of different defenses that's challenging.

Reactions: 4 people
You're playing checkers.

It's not about our offense. The one that can read a defense and rip it apart should start.

Learning one offense is easy it's the hundreds of different defenses that's challenging.

Modern offenses are checkers. Just ask Lamar Jackson or Deondre Francios. Those guys were handed the football and not an extensive playbook. I guarantee you things were simplified for them as much as possible to get their dynamic talent on the field without a great deal of concern for their ability to diagnose exactly what defenses were trying to do to them.

Saw Jerry Glanville out there on the practice field with CBJ.

My favorite all time Jerry Glanville quote during his tenure as the Falcons head coach speaking to one of his defensive players

"Son you can either get mean and nasty or you can get on I-75 out of here." said in a rather calm voice

Modern offenses are checkers. Just ask Lamar Jackson or Deondre Francios. Those guys were handed the football and not an extensive playbook. I guarantee you things were simplified for them as much as possible to get their dynamic talent on the field without a great deal of concern for their ability to diagnose exactly what defenses were trying to do to them.

It does help that with a new QB, RB, and OC, it will take a while for us to establish tendencies that defenses can key on.

Although, I do expect run, run, pass. run, run, pass, run for a TD.

I noticed new DB coach had them working on getting their head turned and becoming a "receiver"!!!!:dance2:

Give the man a bonus right now! I'm not sure I'll recognize our team unless our DBs are running around staring at receivers as the ball drops in past them.

Please make it so!

After watching that QB video if JG doesn't start Butch should be fired..

200.gif

Reactions: 1 person
He's about as mobile as Peterman, this offense needs a DT QB to make it go. JG or SJ are much better suited to run UT's offense.

QD will be able to run the offense very well. So will JQ. The oe who demonstrates he can be the best will be the one who will eventually be named #1. I say, let this thing play out and pick the best performer.

Reactions: 2 people
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see both play in the first couple of games to see how they handle real game experience. They are both good passers and have a lot of potential. The true test will be how they lead, what kind of decisions they make, and how taking hits affects them, etc.

Actually, I like this, all the cliches about having two QBS be darned. All that matters with any player is how they lead and make plays during live action in games. Only test that matters. Give both of them fair chances to prove themselves in games. Play both of them at least until the FL game and then don't announce starter...make FL prepare for both of them.

Reactions: 3 people
The question shouldn't be who is better suited for the offense but if we are going to adjust the offense to the starter.

damn I wish my nephew Brandon was healthy so he start wearing them pads and start catching these passes...Best hands on the team..lol

Reactions: 3 people
No QB on the roster will run the version of the offense Dobbs operated. That was an adjustment made for him.

No QB on the roster will run the version of the offense Dobbs operated. That was an adjustment made for him.

Interesting statement that i'm sure not alot have actually thought about. After 4 years of Dobbs everyone assumes the offense we were running was always designed that way. Look at some of butch previous qbs and you can see the offense can be tailored differently for all types of qbs. Well said.

Reactions: 4 people
damn I wish my nephew Brandon was healthy so he start wearing them pads and start catching these passes...Best hands on the team..lol

Looking forward to seeing him too. Sounds like Callaway is having a good spring thus far according to Hubbs this morning. Give me him, JJ, Byrd, Brandon and Smith (when and if healthy) and let's ride. Maybe Williams can help as well coming off his redshirt year.

Looking forward to seeing him too. Sounds like Callaway is having a good spring thus far according to Hubbs this morning. Give me him, JJ, Byrd, Brandon and Smith (when and if healthy) and let's ride. Maybe Williams can help as well coming off his redshirt year.

I know I see callaway balling so far..happy for the kid...Brandon pretty much healthy..the coaches don't want to take any chances with him..lol cant wait to take this trip to Atlanta for the opener

Reactions: 2 people
Dateline Tuesday, 3/28/17: Butch Jones stoically ignored questions as to when he would quit Tennessee and as to his manhood reportedly shouted by a person claiming to be a "member of VolNation." Later, Coach Jones bore a quizzical expression when another person shouted repeatedly, demanding Jones admit susceptibility to Will Muschamp sticking pins in a Butch Jones voodoo doll. When confronted by security, the shouter identified himself as a "member of VolNation." A representative of VolNation did not deny nor confirm the boisterous individuals' memberships, stating only that the purpose of VolNation was to serve "the good fans of Tennessee athletics."

Last edited:
Interesting statement that i'm sure not alot have actually thought about. After 4 years of Dobbs everyone assumes the offense we were running was always designed that way. Look at some of butch previous qbs and you can see the offense can be tailored differently for all types of qbs. Well said.

I agree with most of what you are saying but that doesn't necessarily correspond to the way Butch has ran the offense while at Tennessee.

With Worley he ran the Zone read scheme the same as he ran it with Dobbs. That doesn't give me much hope that he will be willing to change the offense if Dormady wins the job, who is a better passer than runner. Dormady has good legs and can run but not the way we need if we continously run a Zone read based run game.

I'll have to see Butch actually play to his player's strengths before I truely believe that that any QB can run this offense, Not saying that Dormady couldn't run the offense because I believe that he is a very talented QB.

Last year and the misuse of Kamara is another example. With a player that dynamic and he was never utilized to his full potential. He could have very well been the all time dual purpose yard leader in UT history and probably the all time rushing leader as well if utilized properly.

I'll have to see it to believe that Butch will make those changes for the player he thinks is the best QB for the University of Tennessee in 2017!!! GO VOLS!!!:)

I agree with most of what you are saying but that doesn't necessarily correspond to the way Butch has ran the offense while at Tennessee.

With Worley he ran the Zone read scheme the same as he ran it with Dobbs. That doesn't give me much hope that he will be willing to change the offense if Dormady wins the job, who is a better passer than runner. Dormady has good legs and can run but not the way we need if we continously run a Zone read based run game.

I'll have to see Butch actually play to his player's strengths before I truely believe that that any QB can run this offense, Not saying that Dormady couldn't run the offense because I believe that he is a very talented QB.

Last year and the misuse of Kamara is another example. With a player that dynamic and he was never utilized to his full potential. He could have very well been the all time dual purpose yard leader in UT history and probably the all time rushing leader as well if utilized properly.

I'll have to see it to believe that Butch will make those changes for the player he thinks is the best QB for the University of Tennessee in 2017!!! GO VOLS!!!:)

I agree with you 100%, I would assume they would still run the zone run scheme but obviously less qb designed runs for QD than JG. Pretty sure we can all agree if QD is in and its 3 and 6 we wont be running any shotgun qb sweeps like we did with dobbs. i would hope we see a more vertical passing game and with a strong arm qb attacking the seam alot more with T.E.

VN Store

Back