Practice Updates 3.28.17

What we TRIED to run with Worley versus Dobbs, weren't remotely similar. I think people took Worley's inadequate execution of the option responsibilities and painted any pro style QB with that broad brush. It's another reason (besides being a true freshman) that Dobbs swam uphill that first season. If Riley Ferguson doesn't transfer the next season and was in the mix, there would have been no adjustments. As is, with Peterman scarred and Dobbs the only legit option, Bajakian had the Dobbs package ready for implementation by the SC game, the next season. Would have been tweaked again as Dobbs grew more comfortable passing downfield...only got a small glimpse last season. When Dormady entered the game they weren't going to cause confusion by adjusting the scheme for HIS strengths. None of the candidates will run the same version as Dobbs. They all have different strengths.

Reactions: 9 people
I think with Worley we really weren't consistently putting pressure on with the vertical passing game and he sure couldn't pose a run threat. The result was a very pedestrian offense. Then enter Dobbs, the QB run threat opened things up a good bit.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't read too much into these reports unless you see something like an individual clearly standouts from the rest. The real show is spring game (if they actually do a conventional one) and fall practice.

Reactions: 1 person
What we TRIED to run with Worley versus Dobbs, weren't remotely similar. I think people took Worley's inadequate execution of the option responsibilities and painted any pro style QB with that broad brush. It's another reason (besides being a true freshman) that Dobbs swam uphill that first season. If Riley Ferguson doesn't transfer the next season and was in the mix, there would have been no adjustments. As is, with Peterman scarred and Dobbs the only legit option, Bajakian had the Dobbs package ready for implementation by the SC game, the next season. Would have been tweaked again as Dobbs grew more comfortable passing downfield...only got a small glimpse last season. When Dormady entered the game they weren't going to cause confusion by adjusting the scheme for HIS strengths. None of the candidates will run the same version as Dobbs. They all have different strengths.

Very said said, spot on.

I agree with you 100%, I would assume they would still run the zone run scheme but obviously less qb designed runs for QD than JG. Pretty sure we can all agree if QD is in and its 3 and 6 we wont be running any shotgun qb sweeps like we did with dobbs. i would hope we see a more vertical passing game and with a strong arm qb attacking the seam alot more with T.E.

Agree and agree. I very much believe that Butch does not build his offense around his players' strengths but rather force-fits his players into his offensive scheme. I also believe he recruits to that scheme. Just an opinion based on what I think I've seen since he's been here.

As we all recall, he himself said when he was hired: "It's an infallible system if the players buy into it."

I hope you are right, But Butch really hasn't given me much confidence that he will use the players as they need to be that will be the most sucessful.

Kamara really stands out to me, he could have been special and held a lot of UT records before leaving!!!:)

I hope you are right, But Butch really hasn't given me much confidence that he will use the players as they need to be that will be the most sucessful.

Kamara really stands out to me, he could have been special and held a lot of UT records before leaving!!!:)

You were on here last year? Any suggestion that Kamara/Kelly get increased carries got shouted down by a majority. Some of those voices are preaching revisionist wisdom now. Always look for these keywords: "what has ______ shown to make you believe _____?" :)

More photos from yesterday's practice:

6dfa8f1d420fed0dd4265092a8cc60b5.png

https://t.co/umd4wp7Za1

Watch this catch fro the tweet below:
d95e5de9c936d8cd9a0ade71d3afd884.png

8d08fa0e887797ad338eaf23681a4ef7.png

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/846859938957799426

Last edited:
DE Darrell Taylor is up to 254 pounds from what was 215 pounds when he came to UT as a freshman. I think some big things are in for this 4* kid. He's not going to be a Derek Barnett but he should be a solid pass rusher & even better run stopper.

Wes Rucker, GoVols247

Spot on

Modern offenses are checkers. Just ask Lamar Jackson or Deondre Francios. Those guys were handed the football and not an extensive playbook. I guarantee you things were simplified for them as much as possible to get their dynamic talent on the field without a great deal of concern for their ability to diagnose exactly what defenses were trying to do to them.

A high school woopsie doo guy. Those teams can make a name for themselves and get to a playoff bubble or birth, but they will never win a game when it gets real. Ask the falcons.

A high school woopsie doo guy. Those teams can make a name for themselves and get to a playoff bubble or birth, but they will never win a game when it gets real. Ask the falcons.

The preferred way to do it would be in high school and as a 1st yr starter in NCAA is to "just hand the QB a football" and a watered down playbook thats simplified as to apply more talent and less thinking on the field. Then add to the playbook and depth of reading defenses as your QB matures.

That way if the team has enough talent around him they are competitive from the start and eventually end up with a QB that could win when it gets real ;)

The preferred way to do it would be in high school and as a 1st yr starter in NCAA is to "just hand the QB a football" and a watered down playbook thats simplified as to apply more talent and less thinking on the field. Then add to the playbook and depth of reading defenses as your QB matures.

That way if the team has enough talent around him they are competitive from the start and eventually end up with a QB that could win when it gets real ;)

You have a guy that has already gone through that process and his initials are QD.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see both play in the first couple of games to see how they handle real game experience. They are both good passers and have a lot of potential. The true test will be how they lead, what kind of decisions they make, and how taking hits affects them, etc.

I think this will be the most likely scenario. I don't believe a starter will be named in fall camp and the initial plan will be to platoon both QB's for the first couple of games. I also believe Dormady will start against GT for the first few series and then Guarantano will come in after that. I think this strategy will carry on through the second game against Indiana State as well. By the Florida game, we'll know who our starter is.

Reactions: 3 people
Actually, I like this, all the cliches about having two QBS be darned. All that matters with any player is how they lead and make plays during live action in games. Only test that matters. Give both of them fair chances to prove themselves in games. Play both of them at least until the FL game and then don't announce starter...make FL prepare for both of them.

I'm with you on this. If your offense practices for a two QB system, it can be hard on opposing defenses. I also think having a QB sitting out a series to get a sideline view of the defense can be an advantage.

I think this will be the most likely scenario. I don't believe a starter will be named in fall camp and the initial plan will be to platoon both QB's for the first couple of games. I also believe Dormady will start against GT for the first few series and then Guarantano will come in after that. I think this strategy will carry on through the second game against Indiana State as well. By the Florida game, we'll know who our starter is.

The coaches will likely know who they want before the first game, but are likely not to announce who that is until the day of the Florida game. We likely see both QBs in the first two games and maybe against Florida unless one is head and shoulders above the other one. A lot of head games can replayed with defenses with two QBs if both are playing well. In the long run a two QB systems develops problem with the rest of the offensive players. It is a tough call on how the play it.

Reactions: 3 people
Give the man a bonus right now! I'm not sure I'll recognize our team unless our DBs are running around staring at receivers as the ball drops in past them.

Please make it so!
There is absolutely nothing wrong and within the rules for a defender to turn his head around and run a receiver out of bounds or tangle legs with a receiver as the ball is anyone's in the air. Our guys as DBs have had HORRIBLE skills since CBJ arrived on campus. A change of DB coach was WAAAY overdue IMO. Last but not least unless it's a busted coverage our DBs should EVER give up the big play and bombs which we've been totally susceptible to the past few years, lost us games even. Not gonna mention specifics as it is too painful but real fans understand the 3 or 4 games I'm talking about.

Agree Brave. Unless someone so obviously separates himself prior to the season that you have to name him starter to keep your credibility with the team, which by all accounts just isn't likely to happen, you platoon the two the first two games and let one of them win the job with his work vs Florida....hopefully by that point one will have proven that he deserves the job.

The saddest thing about the practice updates so far is that no one has started a thread girls on spring practice

I thought we could have one in the Pub but The Ron Mexico always effs it up so no one bothers anymore.

Sad.....expect the cheerleaders and majorettes to be dressed in habibs and gowns before long.

Why? Is Roger Goodell the forum moderator now?

All the "Girls of..." threads have been relegated to The Pub forum for the last couple years.

I have a much, much, much higher opinion of Freak than Goodell, that poor decision notwithstanding.

VN Store

Back