Pruitt not letting go of the defense

I know what's coming, but some of these same folks complained Jones needed to quit micro managing his OC and DC and let them call the game. Just saying.............Fire away.

Well in fairness Jones used a chart.... to see when he needed to call certain plays based on situations.... Pruitt can actually read an offense and know where the play is going and make the appropriate defensive call to stop it as long as his guys execute.

“I don’t think it’s gonna be any different than it was before,” Pruitt said. "I mean, you know, I’ll hear every call that goes out there, and if there’s one that I don’t like, I’ll say, ‘Call this instead,’ right? It’s what you do.”

"You know, why am I the head coach at Tennessee? Probably because I was a good play-caller at one time, right? So I think me completely just getting out of it wouldn’t be very smart. Derrick has a great feel — and I’ve watched him in camp and in spring — of what we want to get accomplished. I mean, he’ll do a good job with it."
I was just saying last night this is why I am OK with him hiring a DC that has never been a DC.

Some of us can make mountains out of mole hills. HC has veto on all plays--offense, defense and special teams. Doesn't mean he will call the plays or total game plan. I would expect he would have a strong input on all game planning, though.

So he has the power of the Veto Pen.

CJP and CDA are probably on the same on the same wavelength 95% of the time.

giphy.gif

NO!!!!!! That will just be inviting trouble and polarizing both the players and position coaches.
Why do you think this? You think the players don’t want to be coached by a national championship coach? You think the position coaches don’t want any input from the guy who signs their paycheck? If CPF was an arrogant jerk maybe, but he loves him some big orange and will do his best to help make them better. Can’t see anyway he could hurt unless he was unqualified and didn’t know what he was doing - nobody can argue the OL doesn’t need all the help they can get?

Hiring Chaney is going to turn out to be the best/most important hire he made. Now he can stay solely on the defensive side if he wants, not worry about the offense and work alongside Ansley to help bring him along as a coordinator. He can even back away from seemingly having to make calls, but step in when he doesnt feel something is right with something that is called on the field, which is pretty much what hes saying. I think Pruitt feels a lot better this year about what he has in play calling on both sides. And it's going to help him a lot this year.

Lol exactly but let’s be honest which HC doesn’t have the final say? Pruitt didn’t say he was going to take over the defense he said if he saw something he didn’t like he would change it and with Chaney worrying about all offensive affairs, Pruitt can do what he does best and help the defense get turnovers.
On point!!!

Reactions: OneVolNation
Lots of folks thinking Pruitt is the best defensive coach ever. Didn’t hurt he was working for Sagan, Fisher, and Richt along with their talent. I think he is good. Not sure about great yet. Gave up a lot of points last year

Lots of folks thinking Pruitt is the best defensive coach ever. Didn’t hurt he was working for Sagan, Fisher, and Richt along with their talent. I think he is good. Not sure about great yet. Gave up a lot of points last year

He can call the right plays any day, it’s not worth much of his players can’t implement them right.

When he’s got the right players then yes, he is great. There’s no doubt about that. Just look at Bama in the NC this year without him! There defense couldn’t hold Clemson and once Tua was neutralized they couldn’t ever rack up the score to cover it

Reactions: tennvols77
Hiring Chaney is going to turn out to be the best/most important hire he made. Now he can stay solely on the defensive side if he wants, not worry about the offense and work alongside Ansley to help bring him along as a coordinator. He can even back away from seemingly having to make calls, but step in when he doesnt feel something is right with something that is called on the field, which is pretty much what hes saying. I think Pruitt feels a lot better this year about what he has in play calling on both sides. And it's going to help him a lot this year.

I have a sneaky suspicion that coach Chaney will get a new OL coach named Pittman after this season...

Lol.... he was literally yelling on the sidelines in I believe the Auburn game to the player whose side that the ball was coming to 😂 yet you don’t know if he is great.

He can’t make his guys make plays in the moment they have to do that on their own. Hence why hearing about the turnovers in practice from guys who don’t ever turn the ball over is nice to hear.

Reactions: tennvols77
No measly five stars for Pruitt, he wants billions and billions of stars.

VN Store

Back