Pruitt not letting go of the defense

Every head coach has veto power. This is nothing new. They are head coaches for a reason. If they think a play isn’t going to work they will audible. Almost all head coaches were play callers at one point in time so they have the knowledge of what will probably work.

I understand that if you hire a coordinator, or anyone in that matter, you clearly have faith in them to do their job, but as the head coach and previously one of the best defensive coordinators, i'd hope that if a play call came across he didn't agree with he would change it.

"You know, why am I the head coach at Tennessee? Probably because Tennessee completely flubbed the coaching search (again) and took what they could get"

Might turn out to be the best thing we could have ever hoped for, that hiring circus might be our last gasp stint showing the ineptness and incompetence that endured for over a decade, and it culminated in the end of said loserdom with a gift that fell in our laps in Pruitt and Fulmer as AD. Time will tell, and hopefully time is very good to us.

I basically read the same thing into the statement as others did. I simply think he said that CDA has a good understanding of how the defensive schemes work, but if Pruitt sees something on the field and he doesn't like the call, he will have the play call changed. If he and his DC get closer on what they see, this play call change will happen less over time.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I have a sneaky suspicion that coach Chaney will get a new OL coach named Pittman after this season...

I had a similar thought in the back of mind, but wasn't ready to verbalize. Glad you jumped on that grenade first.

I think it would have been better if this thread had been called "Pruitt is still the head coach"....

Reactions: livefaith
Shame the rules don’t allow the AD to jump in and help also - can’t ever get too much quality help
Blue font? Surely you’re joking, on playcalling, you can absolutely get too many hands in the cookie jar. Ideally, the coordinators have a game plan, if you can’t trust them to call the game, they shouldn’t be in that position. Why do you think Gus has struggled so much? He won’t let his OC do his job. You can’t do both, if you want to call the plays, then call the plays. Gus has made it known HE will call the plays this year, the OC is in name only (why he got a smaller name). OC/DC get in rhythm as well.

Have input on a couple critical downs? Sure, but if you are changing more than 2-3 plays a game you are creating tension, and quickly.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Would love to see Fulmer coaching recruiting the o-line again
I think there's so many here who either don't remember or more likely weren't alive when Phil was considered the best OL coach and recruiter in the SEC. Hopefully we'll get back to a resemblance of that soon.

Um no, cause he had Pruitt.

As bad as we were last year u could see the man can coach and call d.
The man got blowed out a half dozen times by 25+. He's shown he can coach elite talent. He's not going to have a 5* at every position here with more waiting on the bench so let's see how he does first

Reactions: livefaith
Folks try to stir up anything. There isn't a head coach worth a grain of salt that won't overrule a play now and then. Has nothing to do with Ansley, he is a great coordinator himself. They always discuss plays together anyway, some would try to make mountains out of molehills all day long. GBO!!!!

Folks try to stir up anything. There isn't a head coach worth a grain of salt that won't overrule a play now and then. Has nothing to do with Ansley, he is a great coordinator himself. They always discuss plays together anyway, some would try to make mountains out of molehills all day long. GBO!!!!
Ansley is a great coordinator? That’s pretty awesome since he’s not called his first play yet.

Why do you think this? You think the players don’t want to be coached by a national championship coach? You think the position coaches don’t want any input from the guy who signs their paycheck? If CPF was an arrogant jerk maybe, but he loves him some big orange and will do his best to help make them better. Can’t see anyway he could hurt unless he was unqualified and didn’t know what he was doing - nobody can argue the OL doesn’t need all the help they can get?

The bigger question is why is it so important to you what I think? While many hands make light work, too many cooks spoil the soup. May I continue to think, preferably without your supervision?

Um no, cause he had Pruitt.

As bad as we were last year u could see the man can coach and call d.
I think defense is what grows the most this year, UT defense gave up 29.9 ppg last year against power 5 teams. That’s the worst in my lifetime.

Lots of folks thinking Pruitt is the best defensive coach ever. Didn’t hurt he was working for Sagan, Fisher, and Richt along with their talent. I think he is good. Not sure about great yet. Gave up a lot of points last year
Who thinks that? I’ve not seen anyone say that.

Might turn out to be the best thing we could have ever hoped for, that hiring circus might be our last gasp stint showing the ineptness and incompetence that endured for over a decade, and it culminated in the end of said loserdom with a gift that fell in our laps in Pruitt and Fulmer as AD. Time will tell, and hopefully time is very good to us.

yeah, it definitely might. I sure hope it does, but at this point i dont see any evidence that Pruitt is better than anyone we had in the last decade.
and if he does turn out to be the second coming of General Neyland, why wouldnt he use that to jump right back to Tuscaloosa? But here's to hoping he is a genius and he stays in Knoxville for 20 years

Reactions: tennvols77
Who thinks that? I’ve not seen anyone say that.

It really doesn’t matter how great/terrible of a coordinator he was. Lots of great coordinators have failed as head coaches and many mediocre ones have succeeded. It remains to be seen how it will play out for Pruitt but his past may not be that relevant. John Harbough was ST coordinator and Dabo was a wr coach.

Do we want our arguably one of the best DC's in the country not having anything to do with our defense. The man was literally telling our guys what play was coming in the Auburn game last year. If he knows what d is called and it's not what we need to be in and changes it then I'm all for it. He is the head coach after all it's his a$$ on the line. Can anyone here say that they wouldn't do the exact same thing if they were in his shoes
I remember an article about CJP when he first came to Tennessee. I think his brother was being interviewed and he said, to watch football with Jeremy was fun because he would say what the offense was going to do by the down and their formation. and he 'd be right. Something like that.

Blue font? Surely you’re joking, on playcalling, you can absolutely get too many hands in the cookie jar. Ideally, the coordinators have a game plan, if you can’t trust them to call the game, they shouldn’t be in that position. Why do you think Gus has struggled so much? He won’t let his OC do his job. You can’t do both, if you want to call the plays, then call the plays. Gus has made it known HE will call the plays this year, the OC is in name only (why he got a smaller name). OC/DC get in rhythm as well.

Have input on a couple critical downs? Sure, but if you are changing more than 2-3 plays a game you are creating tension, and quickly.
Gus has struggled because his "infallible" high school offense is trash, and has only ever worked with one of the best college QBs of all time and another absolute freak of nature.

Dude would have been gone last year or the year before if it wasn't for his defense, which he doesn't have hands on.

VN Store

Back